Fail while stilling gin

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Fail while stilling gin

Post by The Booze Pipe »

I Use screen gaskets to hold botanicals in the 2" riser to work as a gin head. Right in the middle of this run the distillate started coming out piss yellow, then got darker and looked like apple cider (I know Kiwistiller had a similar problem, but I didn't see that he got to the bottom of it).
The still was running on very low heat, but was still puking! After dismantling, it was clear that the screen gaskets had been almost completely clogged with fines from the cracked/crushed botanicals. I had previously made three successful runs before this.
But it looks like I'm headed back to the drawing board to figure out a more efficient gin head. I like to keep things simple and easy; any suggestions?
13.5g/50L keg
modular 3" pot/VM copper&stainless w/offset gin head
26g 4" stripping still
5500watts of fury
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Fail while stilling gin

Post by NZChris »

Unless you are running a small boiler with low heat input, 2" is a very narrow basket with high vapor speeds. It might be ok with a few peels, but if you put all of the botanicals in it you'd be asking for trouble.
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

Thank you for the quick reply.
the boiler is 13 gallons, it had a 13 litre charge at 40% abv. The initial opening for the riser is 4" which is reduced to 2" with an inverted stainless "cone" approximately 12" in length. the botanicals sat above that in a 2" by 12" tall stainless tube sealed with the screen gaskets at which point the still head sits on top of that.
13.5g/50L keg
26g 4" stripping still
5500watts of fury
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Most botanicals work best in the boiler. Why do you want to put them all in the basket?
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I am not very experienced in gin, but a sound advice I follow said to put the seed, like juniper and coriandre, after macerating in the boiler and the more fine tasting roots (liquorice, angelroot) and peels (cinnamon, citrus) in the basket.
Of course I am not sure it is the best gin in the world, but it is good tasting to me.
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

NZChris wrote:Most botanicals work best in the boiler. Why do you want to put them all in the basket?
I hadn't read that in my research anywhere. Can you suggest some articles or threads that support this? Thank you for your help
13.5g/50L keg
26g 4" stripping still
5500watts of fury
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

The Booze Pipe wrote:
NZChris wrote:Most botanicals work best in the boiler. Why do you want to put them all in the basket?
I hadn't read that in my research anywhere. Can you suggest some articles or threads that support this? Thank you for your help
I’ve read this too on several threads here. Two was I read about. One was botanicals in the liquid, while others were hanging botanicals in the boiler. From what I recall, some feel that fruits are better hanging inside the boiler, rather than in the column. Something about the lower temp being better to retain the fruitiness. I recall someone using a SS strainer they put stilts on, to sit in the boiler. Other pics showed folks hanging bags, again, just over the charge in the boiler.

Good luck. Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I think this thread http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=48594 covers about all important information.
Added with this http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 96&t=48668

I did not read it all today, but I bet the trick of parts in the boiler and parts in the basket is somewhere there.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Kareltje wrote:I think this thread http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=48594 covers about all important information.
Added with this http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 96&t=48668

I did not read it all today, but I bet the trick of parts in the boiler and parts in the basket is somewhere there.
I think that is where I originally heard it, but I have come across it elsewhere. I don't know where the idea of stuffing all the botanicals into 2" over a keg came from, but there isn't room for much in a foot of 2" pipe. An inline basket of 4-6" would have much lower vapor speeds and the same height would hold a lot more botanicals.

When I do put everything in the basket, it's a 7 1/2" diameter Carter Head on a half gallon mini pot still and the 1600ml charge is gently run over six hours rather than for the fifty minutes Odin recommended when most of the botanicals are in the boiler. Commercials that use them take their time and I'm picking they must have good reasons for their long runs, so I followed suit.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Sounds like column blockage due to expanding herbs to me.

Pretty darn dangerous.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

Odin wrote:Sounds like column blockage due to expanding herbs to me.

Pretty darn dangerous.

Odin.
I realized that I potentially had some blockage going on so I prematurely ended the run because of the safety concern. I am reconsidering this gin head design.
13.5g/50L keg
26g 4" stripping still
5500watts of fury
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Try putting stuff in the boiler and see how you like that.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Fraser
Novice

Post by Fraser »

All good advice here.

When I was getting started and experimenting on a small still, I used a 2 inch sight glass with screened gaskets as a botanical basket above the boiler. That way I could see what was going on in there and know if it was clogging up or puking right away without any trouble. If you're set on trying vapor infusion you might want to give that a try, since keeping your eye on what's happening lets you adjust your heat on the fly if it's going to puke.

There's different methods on distilling gin. I prefer using vapor infusion myself instead of maceration (I know that's a minority opinion), but that just works best for my specific recipe.
Sator Square Distillery
DSP-PA-20063
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

Odin wrote:Try putting stuff in the boiler and see how you like that.

Odin.
Thank you for your input Odin. I will try a macerated gin with the next batch.
13.5g/50L keg
26g 4" stripping still
5500watts of fury
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

Fraser wrote:All good advice here.

When I was getting started and experimenting on a small still, I used a 2 inch sight glass with screened gaskets as a botanical basket above the boiler. That way I could see what was going on in there and know if it was clogging up or puking right away without any trouble. If you're set on trying vapor infusion you might want to give that a try, since keeping your eye on what's happening lets you adjust your heat on the fly if it's going to puke.

There's different methods on distilling gin. I prefer using vapor infusion myself instead of maceration (I know that's a minority opinion), but that just works best for my specific recipe.
I am very interested in how some of the professional (micro or craft) distillers are making their gin. I plan to continue with the vapor infusion method.

I need to come up with a gin head design that works for me. I like the idea of glass, but I'm not sure about the 2 inch restriction, and definitely don't care for the botanicals to be sitting on top of a fine mesh screen gasket.
13.5g/50L keg
26g 4" stripping still
5500watts of fury
Fraser
Novice

Post by Fraser »

The Booze Pipe wrote:
Fraser wrote:All good advice here.

I am very interested in how some of the professional (micro or craft) distillers are making their gin. I plan to continue with the vapor infusion method.

I need to come up with a gin head design that works for me. I like the idea of glass, but I'm not sure about the 2 inch restriction, and definitely don't care for the botanicals to be sitting on top of a fine mesh screen gasket.
Just do what works for you and gives you the result you like. Most people will tell you that you're going to get a lot more flavor out of maceration, and they're right. Some kinds of botanicals work better in the boiler than other. Florals, flower petals, etc. definitely work better in the vapor path. Some distilleries do a single run for each botanical and then blend it together at the end for their spirits. I make a lighter style gin, so vapor infusion works for me just fine. But if you want strong flavors you're not going to get better than maceration. Odin has some great videos online you should watch that showcase his awesome stills and his methods.

If you put the botanicals right over the boiler you're going to get a lot of oils falling down into it. It's a pain to clean up later. That's why gin heads are usually offset so it drains down into a receptacle and contains the mess. But like you said, find a design that works for you. You might figure out something unconventional that give you what you're looking for. Good luck.
Sator Square Distillery
DSP-PA-20063