Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Postby brad » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:08 pm

Hi folks,

I'm new to distilling and have some questions.

To get started i just done a simple sugar wash with raisins.

My first question is how should i flavor this? I'm just looking for something simple.

This is what i found.

http://www.wideopeneats.com/recipes/van ... moonshine/

I was planing on doing a stripping run followed by a spirit run. I have the grainfather with an alembic copper pot.

Thanks!

btw "Serve with a splash of half-and-half and sprinkle with sea salt." what does this mean?
brad
Novice

Re: Newbie

Postby TDick » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:56 pm

brad wrote:Hi folks,
My first question is how should i flavor this? I'm just looking for something simple.
This is what i found.
Thanks!
btw "Serve with a splash of half-and-half and sprinkle with sea salt." what does this mean?

Welcome from a fellow N :mrgreen: :mrgreen: B.
First suggestion is it sounds like you have a LOT of reading to do.
1. Parent Site
2. Cranky's Spoonfeed - A lot of the old farts are very proud of that thread and frankly, get a little agitated if Noobs like you and me don't pay our dues. You will find everyone has read those two items, unless they are total dickheads. I ASSuME you are NOT a dickhead.
3. After that reading, go to Tried & True Recipes: viewforum.php?f=14

Good news is your plan calls for flavoring a neutral spirit. You will actually find that on the Parent Site but you should also scan the T&T for something you are interested in. You could bring a recipe from another source and ask for help. That would just delay you and some grumpy Members would refer you back to T&T. Save yourself some time.

That's about it for me. Good luck & WELCOME!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

btw, if you don't know what half and half and sea salt are, this may not be the drink for you.
Half & Half.jpg
Half & Half.jpg (14.8 KiB) Viewed 152 times
Sea Salt.png
Sea Salt.png (136.24 KiB) Viewed 152 times
Don't think twice it's allright.
TDick
Swill Maker

Postby The Baker » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:21 am

I thought Americans called a mixture of milk and cream, half and half.....

Geoff
The Baker
The Baker
Distiller

Postby brad » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:40 am

TDick wrote:
brad wrote:Hi folks,
This is what i found.
Thanks!

Welcome from a fellow N :mrgreen: :mrgreen: B.
First suggestion is it sounds like you have a LOT of reading to do.
1. Parent Site
2. Cranky's Spoonfeed - A lot of the old farts are very proud of that thread and frankly, get a little agitated if Noobs like you and me don't pay our dues. You will find everyone has read those two items, unless they are total dickheads. I ASSuME you are NOT a dickhead.
3. After that reading, go to Tried & True Recipes: viewforum.php?f=14

Good news is your plan calls for flavoring a neutral spirit. You will actually find that on the Parent Site but you should also scan the T&T for something you are interested in. You could bring a recipe from another source and ask for help. That would just delay you and some grumpy Members would refer you back to T&T. Save yourself some time.

That's about it for me. Good luck & WELCOME!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

btw, if you don't know what half and half and sea salt are, this may not be the drink for you.
Half & Half.jpg
Sea Salt.png

Oh half and half diary or whatever you want to call it. Make sense with the carmel. Thanks
brad
Novice

Postby brad » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:58 am

The Baker wrote:I thought Americans called a mixture of milk and cream, half and half.....

Geoff

Thats what we call it, canadians.
brad
Novice

Postby fizzix » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:11 am

Welcome to Home Distiller brad!
..Making the devil's water since 2017... Never bash another distiller. Ever.
"And when you lose control, you'll reap the harvest you have sown." -Dogs, Pink Floyd
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Pikey » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:35 am

Alcohol is pretty good at accepting "Flavours" as a rule - I like to put some fruit in sometimes. Dried apricots go particularly well - but don't overdo the flavourings.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby brad » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:44 am

Pikey wrote:Alcohol is pretty good at accepting "Flavours" as a rule - I like to put some fruit in sometimes. Dried apricots go particularly well - but don't overdo the flavourings.

Whats the general consensus on proof for fruit infusions using sugar washes? 80? I read when using oak for whiskeys you what a higher proof to start.
brad
Novice

Postby brad » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:57 pm

Well folks my sugar wash with raisnes isn't doing well - It stopped but i got my father to rouse the yeast and heat it up to 28C, its burping again now.

It only moved about 20 points - i'm thinking about putting 200-250g of tomato paste in the bucket.

Thoughts?
brad
Novice

Postby brad » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:00 pm

Just an update my father put a can of tomato paste and a little bit of lemon juice in the wash and its ripping again!

Thanks, Birdwatcher!
brad
Novice

Return to Novice Distillers