Cut of Wine grappa!

Moderator: Site Moderator

Lucazzu
Novice

Cut of Wine grappa!

Post by Lucazzu »

Hi people! That's my First run today! After reading and reading till my eyes started to bleed i decided to go with my First run!
So,here we go!
Now I'm at about 92° and I've done 6 cut of 50ml!

Charged the still with 4liters of wine , something like 8% I think!

How I'm I going?! I'm going to throw away the first 50/100ml of distilled as foreshot/head and keep the rest! I'm I safe?!

Greets and Thanks guys!
Lucazzu
Novice

Re: Cut of Wine grappa!

Post by Lucazzu »

That's a photo of the moment! [img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201802 ... 0b8cf6.jpg[/img]
esxman
Novice

Re: Cut of Wine grappa!

Post by esxman »

Hi Lucazzu ,
Looks like you have about a 25 litre still there and a better charge would be at least 10 litres . I usually put 10 litres of wine in mine when I still , I could put more , but I use 10 litres water bottles as fermenters , and throw them away after a couple of uses .
On 10 litres of wine at say 10 to 12 % , you need to reject say 50 mls of the very first drips ,reject more if you have the slightest hint of nail polish, and then collect your product in small jars . So if you ran 10 litres of must/wash you would expect about 2.5 litres of spirit , that's if you try and get it all....best way for that size of still is to find some 1/3 litre glass bottles ,eight should be enough, number them and run your product into them .You can then adjust your grappa to around 38 to 40 % abv , and you will find the tail end bottles will not smell so good , but keep them in a container and when you have sufficient from subsequent runs , put that into your still to get the good stuff that's left from it . I am only a novice , but this is the right way forward , so you can get a product you can replicate every time . Good luck with your hobby. esxman in Greece .