Adding failed experiments back into the FFV wash?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

binoscope
Novice

Adding failed experiments back into the FFV wash?

Post by binoscope »

Ok so I have a few bottles of failed experiments, trying to make a Jaffa (choc orange) vodka a vanilla bean with a bit of sugar that doesn't hit the mark and a strawberry panty dropper that would keep your pants firmly on! So about 1 litre at about 40% and a litre of sweat strawberry nothingness. I currently have two 20 litre and one 60 litre buckets of FFV a local lovely brew (fast fermenting vodka) a wheat bran, kibbled rye bakers yeast and sugar wash. Leaves a nice earthy wheaty taste in the vodka, 1000% better than any turbo wash. Should I add these left overs at all to the washes? If I do when? Should I wait for the main ferment to finish then add them, probably the small amount of sugars in them will then reactivate the yeast which will eat up the remaining sugar? Would the flavours ruin my nice wash? Or perhaps I just run them all together watered down through my reflux and get rid of most of the flavours before returning them to the main event?
esxman
Novice

Re: Adding failed experiments back into the FFV wash?

Post by esxman »

If it were me , I would just collect up the left over heads and tails and the experiments , and re-distil just them on their own .The reason I say this is I have found the essential oils like Orange , Juniper , Anise , especially star Anise can be detected in say a grappa or a white whisky, sometimes if you don't purge the still , so for me its not worth spoiling a good wash for a few litres of iffy product. I am sure the more experienced boys would say the same thing .Fyi I did a red watermelon wash back in the summer , it had a funky smell in the fermenter , and it appeared in the product .Stupid here, re-distilled it in the boiler with a Gin recipe , and spoiled the lot , the wacky watermelon taste grinned thru !
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Adding failed experiments back into the FFV wash?

Post by still_stirrin »

binoscope wrote:...trying to make a Jaffa (choc orange) vodka, a vanilla bean with a bit of sugar...and a strawberry panty dropper...about 1 litre at about 40% and a litre of sweat strawberry nothingness...
Binoscope, your question confused me...especially that comment. Here:
Merriam-Webster wrote:sweat; or sweating (intransitive verb)
1 a) to excrete moisture in visible quantities through the openings of the sweat glands : perspire
1 b) to labor or exert oneself so as to cause perspiration
2 a) to emit or exude moisture (cheese sweats in ripening)
2 b) to gather surface moisture in beads as a result of condensation (stones sweat at night)
Surely, you MUST mean, "sweet", correct? If your strawberries truly taste like "sweat", then you've got some serious problems in your process.
binoscope wrote:...I currently have two 20 litre and one 60 litre buckets of FFV a...(fast fermenting vodka)...(with) wheat bran, kibbled rye, bakers yeast, and sugar...Should I add these leftovers...to the washes?
By "leftovers", do you mean the failed liquor mixes, i.e. - vanilla bean vodka with added simple syrup and the strawberry panty dropper (also with simple syrup added)?
binoscope wrote:...If I do when? Should I wait for the main ferment to finish then add them, probably the small amount of sugars in them will then reactivate the yeast which will eat up the remaining sugar? Would the flavours ruin my nice wash? Or perhaps I just run them all together watered down through my reflux and get rid of most of the flavours before returning them to the main event?
I would NOT be recommend to rerun the sugar infused liquors through the still (potstill or reflux) in their present form. You'd likely get a scorched or burned caramel quality to the distillate.

But, you could water them down (to 10-15%ABV) and add back to an active ferment, like your FFV's. I recommend watering down below the 40%ABV that the sweet liquors are currently so that the alcohol content won't adversely affect the ferment activity in the fermenters. Too high of alcohol content could "shock" the yeast cells and cause them to flocculate and settle. But I would definitely make the retro additions (to your FFV ferment) as soon as possible, while it is still active.

Depending on how intense the liquor flavors are in the failed attempts may affect the FFV's flavor "off still". But, provided you water down the liquors to 10-15%ABV, those flavors will be significantly reduced as well. In the end, it is unlikely that the vanilla or strawberry flavors will carry over in your final strip run, and I'm assuming you will do a series of stripping runs before the spirit run.

And remember, you can't "measure" the %ABV in the syrup added liquors either. You must "calculate" the %ABV from a previously measure spirit (before the sugar was added). %ABV is exactly that...the ratio of volume of alcohol to the total volume.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K