Rotten egg

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mack76
Novice

Rotten egg

Post by Mack76 »

Made a run in my all stainless pot still. I do put copper packing in it to do away with the sulfur compounds. But this time I didn’t use as much copper. It seems that some eggy smell taste came through. My real question is can I rerun it with more packing to pull the smell/taste out. Not so much a taste it kinda hits your nose though.
HDNB
Site Mod

Re: Rotten egg

Post by HDNB »

yep.

i've even had luck soaking a coper pipe for a week and re-running. but more packing on the second run worked better.

Bagasso did a great thread on this...prolly searchable on HD google.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Reverend Newer
Swill Maker

Post by Reverend Newer »

I found the "sulfides" to be medicinal, but yes to get rid of the sulfur smell run it again, use a reflux head, carbon filter finished product or treat the yeast better during ferment and of coors more copper works wonders as does age'n/aerate'n the likker.
spiritually taxed circa 1791
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Reverend Newer wrote:I found the "sulfides" to be medicinal, but yes to get rid of the sulfur smell run it again, use a reflux head, carbon filter finished product or treat the yeast better during ferment and of coors more copper works wonders as does age'n/aerate'n the likker.

Medicinal? like good for what ails ye?

never tried carbon filter on whiskey..does that work? or only on neutral? I got an idea i want to try toasted and charred oak and mebbe a bit of activated charcoal filtering on some molasses rum...it would be good to hear from someone that has tried that.
age' and aerate'n for sure that helps!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
esxman
Novice

Post by esxman »

For my S/S pot still , a couple of foot of copper lead off from the condenser, plus all copper parrot seems to be all I need to loose the pfarty smells . I do however make sure I dont let any dross, like dead yeast enter the boiler... ever....if you nose over the bubbler and can detect off smells in the ferment , then yes its likely to end up further down the line. esxman
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Re-run it with all of your copper packing that'll fit. All stainless requires some copper in the vapor path to capture sulfides.
With your reduced copper, more sulfides got through. You know the answer and are just looking for confirmation.
I have a stainless still and I make sure that thing is packed.