Redistilling harsh liquor (from running too hot)

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

lowandslow
Novice

Redistilling harsh liquor (from running too hot)

Post by lowandslow »

Hi guys!

I am just doing my first runs with a tiny 1-gallon pot still.

My first runs came out at around 100 proof, and my second run took it to around 160 proof. I am considering doing a third run as I require at least 180 proof for extraction.

All these runs have taken a long long time, so far about 24 hours to run all the little batches. I did some at 200w start to finish, and some of them I stepped up the wattage to more than double that.

I have noticed that when it is running too fast, the liquor has a harsh, mouth-burning quality to it.

My question is, if this harsh liquor is re-distilled slowly, does it make it smoother?

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply!
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Redistilling harsh liquor (from running too hot)

Post by Boda Getta »

To answer your question... yes. Your bigger problem is your still. IMHO, trying to distill whiskey in a one gallon still is not feasible. I consider a five gallon still as the absolute minimum
( I suspect many here would not consider a five gallon feasible) It would be fairly simple to scale up to a five gallon (better yet 10 gallon) by going with a readily available SS pot. The big problem with that type is getting the pot lid to seal, but many have done it. My suggestion: If you thing you will enjoy home distilling, is to bite the bullet and go with a 15.5 gal ss beer keg. Using the sankey type flange and clamps make attaching the column fool-proof. Lots of resources on this site on building a keg still.

Good luck
BG
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

lowandslow wrote:...a tiny 1-gallon pot still...first runs came out at around 100 proof...second run took it to around 160 proof...I require at least 180 proof for extraction.
You have a potstill...as it is obvious by this statement. A potstill will strip a 10%ABV wash (+/-) to around 100-110 proof. And then, rerunning the low wines (at roughly 30%ABV), you'll get 140-160 proof.

Now here's the heavy news....you won't get it much higher than that even if you run it very slow. To push the purity up to 180 proof or higher, you'll need reflux. A potstill only has "so much reach" in it, given the low wines %ABV. And you DON'T want that to be any higher than 35-40%ABV, or you risk a flash fire. The flash point of ethanol falls with increasing purity. So, we hold the safe operational boundary at 40%ABV.
lowandslow wrote:...All these runs have taken a long long time...to run all the little batches...I have noticed that when it is running too fast, the liquor has a harsh, mouth-burning quality to it...is...this harsh liquor is re-distilled slowly, does it make it smoother?
The "harshness" and "mouth-burning" you speak of, is due to bad cuts. With a 1 gallon boiler, you don't have much opportunity for clean hearts collection....you blink...and it's over! Chances are, rerunning won't improve it much either. Again, the problem is your ability to make proper cuts. If you were an expert at making cuts, then you may be able to get something useful from a 1 gallon boiler. Otherwise, you'll struggle and become disenchanted with the process/recipe/hobby.

Boda getta suggested a larger boiler for the strip + spirit runs, and I agree. That little thing is not "user friendly". Me....I'd use the 1 gallon boiler for a gin still, when you're only running clean neutral hearts together with the botanicals. The "tough job" of making clean cuts is already done by the time you macerate the botanicals. So, don't get rid of it...just get the right tools for the job.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I have run a 5 (or even 4,75) L still and made 92 %ABV with it. But I had a 50 cm column of 28 mm inner diameter on top of it. And I filled it with curls of copper wire to imitate Raschig rings. And always ran it slow, due to an air-cooled condenser.

About the harsh taste I have nothing to say, because I have never tried it.

Putting 50 %ABV wash in your boiler is of hardly any use: it will result in barely a higher % of the distillate over 40 % in your boiler (ca 80 over ca 76). And you run a serious risk to end up with an almost empty boiler and the problems of scorching and damage that come with that.
To clean up the taste of your distillate, you do better in diluting to 20 %ABV and running again.

The notion about flammable liquid of 50 % is odd, as a mash of 12 % will result in a 50 %ABV hot vapour as soon as it is boiling. A flammable vapour mixed with air is explosive and more dangerous than a flammable liquid with just one surface exposed to air. The most important thing is to avoid the third point of the fire triangle: the flame or spark.

Boda getta and still stirring are right in one thing at least: a larger still is more fun and makes better cuts possible.
lowandslow
Novice

Post by lowandslow »

Thanks guys for answering everything!
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

No way I could make cuts on a 1 gallon still I would use that for my dipper, it's probably harsh from not cutting enough heads out.

Get you a ten gallon or bigger copper pot or keg. I do believe that's the best advice you will get.
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."