HELP - no flavor

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

browndwbtd
Novice

HELP - no flavor

Post by browndwbtd »

I have read a lot but still am screwing up somehow and need help to get some flavor
I have a 5 gal pot still and I added a 1 gal thumper
my last batch was: 2 gal water - 2 lbs sugar - dozen apples mashed up - after fermentation got about 8% - my thumper had mashed up apples and 60 proof sugar mash liquor for flavor - but as always all I got was 140 proof no apple flavor then water - I'd like to give up proof for some flavor - HELP
thanks doug
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: HELP - no flavor

Post by still_stirrin »

Here’s the best “how to” for fruit ferments: viewtopic.php?f=94&t=48881&start=1230#p7501118

Chances are...your approach is wrong all together. Cranky has created a method for brandy with benchmark flavor. Give his thread a thorough read.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Easy, just get rid of the sugar and get rid of the water.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Apples are one of the hardest to get flavour from, and 1 dozen is going nowhere.
Either soak some dried apples in the stuff you now have, or do something else Whiskey does OK, Rum does ok, Plum does ok - I'm sure there are loads of others.
Mike6090
Novice

Post by Mike6090 »

From what I have been reading and this has born out with traditional Bavarian schnapps you don’t get apple flavor from apples what you get is apple character. So what is that? It’s kind of a sort of apple peel like flavor. Very subtitle and easily blown out by most anything. To get a punch of apple flavor I soak apples in alcohol and press them for the juice sugared apple mash compliments but does not duplicate this.
browndwbtd
Novice

Post by browndwbtd »

great thanks to all - going to give the ideas a try
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

my 2 cents: You should never add water nor sugar. Don't listen to TV shows !
Use only crushed fruit. Make sure the mash pH is low around 3, add some peptic enzymes to help break the pectines and use a yeast done for fruits and nutrients.
You can mix the mash 2 times to help liquefaction and yeast work during the first week of the 2 to 4 weeks of fermentation.
Still, and let age in a glass carboy with a coton fabric bung needed to exchange with oxygen that will reveal esters and help mellow the spirit.