Last damn run of likker........

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Chixter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Last damn run of likker........

Post by Chixter »

I'm not sure where to post this but as I am still technically a novice, it fits. As I sit and type this out, I am completing a spirit run of my last 25# of malted wheat and barley. I’ve had a customer project that took almost all of my time between late December and now to complete taking available room in my shop. Unusually warm weather for my area did spur me on for another 2 ferments and subsequent strip and spirit runs. Now, as Popcorn Sutton once said…”This is the last damn run o’ likker I’ll ever make”. Most likely. My foray into this was based out of curiosity and my own personal bend to try and learn new things. Somewhere in the back of my mind I’ve always felt that a man who imbibes, even just occasionally and no matter what his favorite beverage, be it beer, wine or likker….should learn how to make his own. I think it’s a requirement of fully being a man. I gratefully say to this forum, while I may have been able to figure it out via other available sources, I would never have been very successful in such a short amount of time. The resources here are immeasurable thanks to those that have walked the path before me. I have 3 barrels of fine grain whiskey aging because of what I have learned here. I’m sipping some of my earlier runs as I task today and I must admit, it is equal to or better than anything I’ve ever bought (except the Knappogue Castle 18 yr single malt) well at least bought within reasonable $$$. I’m 60 years old. I have stored now more whiskey than I have drank in my lifetime. It will outlast me I’m sure. I love good whiskey, but I’m a 2 or 3 finger glass 2-3x/month drinker. I gave some to my brother who loves it and he is due some more after aging. I keep friends at arms length, I’m a private guy and I would never reveal this hobby to anyone except my blood, it’s just the way I am. So giving a good share away is out of the question for me. Another driver for the sunset of this hobby is while it is interesting to me, it doesn’t light me up and get me engaged like my other interests of metal working, blacksmithing, machining and the like. Seems once you have a process locked….it’s like baking a cake or doing a smoked brisket….fun but not really challenging. Anyway, we’re all different and do the things we love for different reasons. If anyone is interested in the equipment I’ve gathered, PM me, there may be a good deal for someone (I’m in NJ on the coast). If not, it will go on the wall of posterity along with the frame of the XP aircraft I started so many years ago. Again, THANK YOU to all that have made this forum what it is and I pray it will keep and even improve for all who come in the future to learn about this great science. ~~Chixter
When I was a boy, I prayed for a bicycle. I soon learned G~d doesn't work like this so I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Last damn run of likker........

Post by fizzix »

A man needs to know where he's headed. You spiked the ball in a big game and you'll forever have the trophy to show for it.
I personally want to thank you for turning me on to Still Life's rye as it was your post that lead me to his recipe thread.
(Thanks immensely to you too of course, Still Life!!)

Good luck with your adventures, and know well that you made at least one friend here.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Well, I'm glad you did what you did and know when to move on.
I've enjoyed reading your posts and seeing you grow and now it's on to the next adventure and I most certainly hope you've had good time.

Take care of yourself, good luck moving forward, may peace always surround you.

Shine0n
Reverend Newer
Swill Maker

Post by Reverend Newer »

Rarely do we get to see someone come full circle in distilling. Awesome insight. Thanks for sharing your story... you will be remembered in liquid-form the way I look at it.
spiritually taxed circa 1791
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

You've dome well , Pilgrim , considerin . Thank you for sharing part of your life with us . We are better for that and we hope you took something good away with you .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

I’d thought of reaching That Run, where I’d have enough to last, and wondered if I could stop. It is an awful lot of physical labor — No matter how many times I drain a fermenter barrel, distill it and refill it in a weekend I’m always in awe of how sore I am at the end of the day. You’d think I’d learn at some point.

At the same time, I dunno if I could quit cold turkey.

Congrats on finishing a many, many year project. That’s gotta feel good.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

WOWWWWW...
To have just acquired your first still, starting your journey less than 6 months ago, with just an 8 gal brewhaus simplest potstill to boot, and already have 3 barrels of AG aging.!!!
Including strips??? And already calln it quits...
Well Done indeed.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
Chixter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chixter »

MoonBreath wrote:And already calln it quits...
Never say never as in 'quits'. I'm keeping my stuff. Who knows if inspiration may appear. Is making 5-6 gallons of whiskey in 6 months or so that difficult? I think there are some on this board that would produce that in a single run. :clap: :clap: :clap:
When I was a boy, I prayed for a bicycle. I soon learned G~d doesn't work like this so I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

Keep running until the bottle you pull off the shelf is at least two years old.You will be a happy camper :D :D
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

No I understand..Again, well done indeed..And an accomplishment according to your posts..Successfully churning out all grains in a week or two after watchin Popcorn's video and YouTube...You have to admit, its a heck of a turnaround..With that small of a kettle, I figured your barrels weren't no bigger than 10ltr...As no one here is producing 6 gal spirit runs, do the math.
Ifn you're not gonna sell your stuff, you may want to remove it from the classifieds.
Welcome back. :thumbup:
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!