2nd & or 3rd runs

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dante827
Novice

2nd & or 3rd runs

Post by Dante827 »

Hi All, I was wondering if I need to dump the first 50ml or so on my 2nd and or 3rd runs like you would do with the 1st? I'm using a pot still and I want to clean up the results of a couple 1st runs.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 2nd & or 3rd runs

Post by fizzix »

Generally, no. Once fores are gone it's gone. However (and there's always a 'however' in life), give those other samples a sniff and see if you indeed got it all the first time.
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

I generally will throw off a little at every run. If you look here (somewhere) there was some literature(and a chemical analysis of someones runs to support) suggesting there is methanol throughout your run with a bit of it concentrating in the tails as well. On a second distillation, the potential for it "rising to the top" again exists (to some degree) so I throw a little off. The other reason is that I almost NEVER use the heads in my final product so if I do throw something off and there is no more fores(per se) it's just heads anyway.

As fizzix mentioned... I usually do it by smell/taste/feel.
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

fizzix wrote:give those other samples a sniff and see if you indeed got it all the first time.
rgreen2002 wrote:.. I usually do it by smell/taste/feel.
+1 :thumbup: