Newbie Help please, pugirum recipe substitution

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BobbyIronsights
Novice

Newbie Help please, pugirum recipe substitution

Post by BobbyIronsights »

Having tired of the taste of turbos, We're looking to make PugiRum recipe as our first foray into non-turbo's. Don't get me wrong, turbo's were good to us. Fast, cheap and strong, but it had a sour taste that could only be masked by drinking it at 160 proof or higher, and wasn't good for mixed drinks.

Pugirum calls for 20-0-0 fertilizer as part of the "yeast Bomb"

We cannot find 20-0-0 anywhere which is sad because all the other ingredients including five gallons of feed grade molasses are purchased and sitting forlornly in a corner.

Is there an alternative fertilizer available here in the snowy wastes of upper Canada which will fit the bill?

In anticipation, thank you for your assistance, and your time.

Bob
The lyf so short, the craft so longe to lerne - Chaucer
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: Newbie Help please, pugirum recipe substitution

Post by Yummyrum »

The fertilizer is DAP or Di-Ammonium Phosphate
You can often buy it as DAP from home brew stores or alteratively you can buy wine yeast nutrient which is predominantly DAP but also contains Epsom salts ( Magnesiun Sulfate ) which is needed in Rum fermentations ..... as well as a cew other things yeast like .
Personally I'm not a big yeast bomb fan . If you use enough Mollases it will take off on its own with a bit of epsom salts and enough heat . Pugi's recipe is what it is though .
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

His mother named him Yummyrum appropriately.
BobbyIronsights, I had a helluva time finding 20-0-0 except in 50lb sacks. Screw that.
A little research here, and I too found DAP worked great... of which I already had 2lbs :thumbup:
You can get it from brew shops in miniscule packages, or go Amazon.
Works great!
..and don't forget the PURE Epsom salt. (Not the floral stuff)
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

fizzix said, '..and don't forget the PURE Epsom salt. (Not the floral stuff)...'

FLORAL epsom salts?

So when you go to the toilet it smells like flowers???

Geoff
The Baker
esxman
Novice

Post by esxman »

Just a few words on rum from an old timer with plenty of time on his hands ... When you make up the wash with molasses,black sugar,demerara , whatever , please include some good honey ... thyme or pine , something that has a nose to it . Run your wash thru a pot still , once or twice , its up to you... you then have a white rum , better than bacardi , but not really rummy .Now infuse the white rum with orange peel, either sweet or bitter, nerangi (seville) . coriander,nutmeg,clove,cardamon, and spanish wood shavings , (liquorice) ,and some oak sticks, for a week or so , then put the lot back thru the still and you will have a tasty white rum , dilute to the abv of your choice, and bottle as a white rum. Now, if you want a black rum , like the overproof rums that the English Navy had , then take this white rum , adjust the abv to about 64% ... (this is a good figure to extract the good oils , any higher will produce bitter notes) , and infuse , again coriander,nutmeg,clove, cardamon,liquorice , orange and lemon and lime zests ,and a few sultanas , add some oak sticks into you mason jars , or carboys , and watch and taste your product ,the Brits had it about 54% ABV, maybe add a little black sugar or dunder to get that authentic dark rum look and taste .You will get a product that rivals the 10 year old stuff, I know because I bought a 10 year old rum , just to sniff , like wine sommalier, until I could replicate the authentic smell and taste of a good dark rum .
I use this rum I produce to make rum and raisin ice-cream , and the old rum babas . The liquorice seems to be a major influence, as does any of the citrus family , sweet and bitter orange, lemon ,lime , grapefruit. happy Runmmagin esxman