My proof is too low

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Skynyrd19
Novice

My proof is too low

Post by Skynyrd19 »

Hello I've tried a few recipes, and am struggling getting high enough content. I want to achieve around 90 proof. I'm only getting roughly 40. I'm using a recipe of 5lbs corn, 7lbs sugar, 5 gallons of water, and a tablespoon of yeast. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My proof is too low

Post by Pikey »

At a rough guess I'd say you're running the wrong type of still, or not using it right
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Well, without enzymes you won't get any fermentables out of the corn...only some grain flavors. But 7 lb. sugar in 5 gallons of water should still get you to an OG=1.064, or 8.45%ABV (potential).

Distilling 8.45%ABV in 5 gallons has the (potential) of 8.45% x 5 = 0.4225 gallons of 100% (200 proof) alcohol, which of course you won't, or can't get. But from a potstill (you didn't say what you're using to distill), you can expect an average of 50% (100 proof). That would give you roughly 0.4225 gallons x 100/50 = 0.845 gallons of 50%ABV low wines.

Now, if you collect until your low wines are 30%ABV average, you'll have roughly 0.4225 x 100/30 = 1.40 gallons of low wines that you can run through the still again.

Using the strip + spirit run protocol, you should be able to get hearts off at 140-150 proof through a potstill.

In summary, aiming for 90 proof is quite possible from a potstill. But, plan to collect the low wines from 3 still charges to fill your boiler for the spirit run. You'll easily collect hearts at 90 proof (45%ABV) then.

Be safe, responsible, and discrete.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Skynyrd19 wrote:
......... I want to achieve around 90 proof............
Sorry (& Kudos to Still-stirrin ) - I read that as 90% abv - apologies.

I get way over 45%abv with a pot - 5 kg (11 lbs) sugar in 25 litres - which I believe is 6.25 gallons if you're in US.

There is a relationship between abv of your wash and the output abv

Push your "Fermentables content" up a bit and when fermented out add back your heads and tails from the previous run into the pot with the next fermented out wash.
Mike6090
Novice

Post by Mike6090 »

What is your OG and FG?
Poor fermentation?
Skynyrd19
Novice

Post by Skynyrd19 »

I'm using a pot still. I think I may have an idea what my problem may be. When I mash in, I let it work off in my basement. I'm afraid it may be a little too cold and the yeast is going dormant and not working off to full potential. I put them in air locked wine buckets with a burper. I have 20 gallons of liquid I strain all the solids out of and dump into my pot. Not sure what my final yield of hearts should be once distilled. Like I said, I'm fairly new to this and appreciate all your help.
Mike6090
Novice

Post by Mike6090 »

Not knowing your gravities makes -percent alcohol a crap shoot. You might have had a good run but maybe not. But if you know your numbers you can figure how much you really have.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

+1 to needing enzymes to convert your corn to sugar for a higher OG. I'm not sure what recipe would not have either malted grains or enzymes there to convert your corn starch to sugar. I guess that could be be a sugar head recipe you have there, calling for spent grains and sugar? Check out recipes in Tried-n-True section, especially as you are learning. My favorite recipe there these days is the Honey Bear Bourbon. The simplicity of the mash protocol is one reason I like it so much.

Temp of your ferment is super critical for producing alcohol. Find out what your yeast need in the way of temp and look at insulation or heating solutions to maintain temp in the range you need. With bakers yeast, I like to pitch from 80 to 85 F. With good insulation, your ferment can finish before any additional heat may be needed.

I use a lot more yeast than that myself for a ferment of that size. What type of yeast is it? When I use bakers yeast, I would typically pitch up to 30 grams into something that size. 30 is a bit overkilll I think, but it's been working for me. One of those fancy brewers yeast packs typically recommend one pack (11 grams) for every 5 gallons of ferment. I think yours is about 7.5 gallons?

If you address conversion, temp and yeast, the next thing to look at would be to consider adding some nutrients to keep your yeast happy and alive. Lots on HD about that. DAP, dead yeast trub, vit B, epsom salt, all are common additions. I have been adding DAP and Vit B together when I need nutrients.

You can calculate your yield with the help of some of the calculators on the HD parent site. The calcs page by RAD has most of what I use.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Skynyrd19
Novice

Post by Skynyrd19 »

I'll have to look into those recipes. I have a tablespoon of bakers yeast per 5 gallons of water. How would you reccomend I insulate my buckets? Also, wasnt aware of needing enzymes. I'll have to look into a better recipe.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

OtisT wrote: I'm not sure what recipe would not have either malted grains or enzymes there to convert your corn starch to sugar. I guess that could be be a sugar head recipe you have there, calling for spent grains and sugar?

Check out recipes in Tried-n-True section, especially as you are learning.

Otis

Have you never heard of ujssm?
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Skynyrd19 wrote:I'll have to look into those recipes. I have a tablespoon of bakers yeast per 5 gallons of water. How would you reccomend I insulate my buckets? Also, wasnt aware of needing enzymes. I'll have to look into a better recipe.
You don't need enzymes if your doing a sugar wash. Since your new to the hobby I assume your just doing sugar washes for now? Check out the UJSSM recipe in the tried and true section. Easy, cheap, and makes great stuff.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Skynyrd19 wrote:Hello I've tried a few recipes, and am struggling getting high enough content. I want to achieve around 90 proof. I'm only getting roughly 40. I'm using a recipe of 5lbs corn, 7lbs sugar, 5 gallons of water, and a tablespoon of yeast. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
A bit of advice from a noob.
You did not mention the source of your recipes.
I would suggest going through Tried & True to find one similar to this, or another to your liking.
viewforum.php?f=14

Then read it beginning to end, STUDY it, then try it.
If you run into problems like this, it has either already been addressed or there are other members who have already hit your snag and can help you through it.
It sure makes it easier.
Good luck!
:mrgreen:
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

Skynyrd19 wrote:I'll have to look into those recipes. I have a tablespoon of bakers yeast per 5 gallons of water. How would you reccomend I insulate my buckets? Also, wasnt aware of needing enzymes. I'll have to look into a better recipe.
You could also add about 3 oz of tomato paste for nutrients
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

No need for tomato paste, the corn is more than enough.
As for the abv you might be running too hot, try looow and slow.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

pfshine wrote:Have you never heard of ujssm?
Touché
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Skynyrd19 wrote:I have a tablespoon of bakers yeast per 5 gallons of water.

And after adding grains and sugar it’s likely close to 7.5 gallons of wash?

How would you reccomend I insulate my buckets?

Simple is a few blankets. Better would be some type of closed cell foam sheeting wrapped around it. Even better is an insulated box or container that is near air tight to put the entire bucket in. One key to good insulation is to ensure there is no air flow through or around the insulation. Look around HD and you will see various solutions.

Sorry bout the bad advice on needing enzymes. They just speed up the converting of your grain starches into simpler sugars. I can be impatient. ;-). Otis
Skynyrd19
Novice

Post by Skynyrd19 »

Do any of you stir your mash? If so, how often?
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Skynyrd19 wrote:Do any of you stir your mash? If so, how often?
Just before pitching yeast then no more sturring. Cover and let it work.

AC
Mike6090
Novice

Post by Mike6090 »

If your yeast is doing its job it will be actively effervescence and the bubbling will cause plenty of movement.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I stir mine gently enough and punch it down all the time. I want to maximize flavor exchange with the grain. It’s making plenty of co2 during ferment. If you were to cap it your airlock activity would be pretty good evidence of co2 production quantity.
Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Skynyrd19
Novice

Post by Skynyrd19 »

Update. I appreciate all your help. I moved my fermenter to a warmer place and added a little more sugar and I'm getting a good proof now. Thanks!