Just got some new stills...

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

NADERHANNA1719
Novice

Just got some new stills...

Post by NADERHANNA1719 »

Hey Everyone,

I recently ordered three 3" pot still heads from Milehigh Distilling, and I love the quality of your work, especially the quality welds and polished finish.

However, I noticed that there is some black stuff, I believe it is carbon, on the inside of the pipes, and I was wondering if I should subject them to some sort of cleaning process prior to using them, as I'm fearful that they may impart some off-flavors in my spirits.

If so, what cleaning process do you recommend?

Thanks,
Nader
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Just got some new stills...

Post by fizzix »

Surprised you've missed Cleaning a New Still.
I'd give them a vinegar & water elbow grease rub down for the black stuff you can reach, then follow the still cleaning runs as outlined above.
Three new stills! That's enthusiasm there!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Copper stillheads or stainless?

If stainless, the “black stuff” could be what is called, “sugaring” from the TiG welding. When properly welded...the weld is blanketed in argon to prevent oxidation. When oxygen gets into the weld, it makes that carbon crystal crud and that will contiminate the weld.

Perhaps the stillheads weren’t made so well after all. Regardless, HD isn’t really a place for free advertisement (without compensation).

Incidently, the sugaring prpbably won’t wash out. It would have to be brushed out. But I wouldn’t worry about it as it won’t contiminate your distillate. Mechanically removing it could cause corrosion in the future. Just be sure to rinse the stillhead out good after using it so you don’t get a build up of organic “gunk”, which will carry over to your spirits.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
NADERHANNA1719
Novice

Post by NADERHANNA1719 »

Thanks guys! They are three 3" copper pot still heads on 50 liter milk cans. I just figured that I paid a premium for them on the basis that they're tig-welded, instead of soldered, and polished instead of brush-finished, so assuming that these are high-end, I thought they'd also be pre-cleaned on the inside for me. I thought that was a perk as opposed to DIYing it. I'll definitely follow the process, I'm already familiar with it. I just need to make some sugar wash for my sacrificial run. I'll send you a vid soon enough.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

The material can discolor from the heat. Takes more labor to bring back to virgin. More labor= More $

How do you know you paid e premium?

Got any pics?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
NADERHANNA1719
Novice

Post by NADERHANNA1719 »

I could have made these for $100 a pop, including the cost of a a plumber to tig them for me, but I didn't want to go the DIY route, because I figured it would be a bitch to get rid of all the carbon, and I didn't want to waste time with a vinegar run and sugar wash run, so I paid $485 each, including shipping to Palestine (the country - not Texas) and an extra $50 each for customs.That's $1,605 just for 3 heads only. That's why I consider it a premium.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Holy crap! I gotta start selling these things.
That's it, starting Friday I'm open for business. :lol:
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

NADERHANNA1719 wrote:... $1,605 just for 3 heads only...
Makes me wonder why you bought 3 heads when you can only run one at a time. I guess you could’ve planned to sell 2 to recover the price of yours and roll the capital investment “downhill”.

You certainly have more “disposable” cash than me. For that kind of money, I’d just go to the liquor store.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

The guy's been here 6 years, I think he has a right to expect a decent "finished" product for that sort of money !
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Pikey wrote:The guy's been here 6 years, I think he has a right to expect a decent "finished" product for that sort of money !
What the hell does 6 years here got to do with milehigh's finished product :crazy:
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Pikey wrote:The guy's been here 6 years, I think he has a right to expect a decent "finished" product for that sort of money !
You are right about the still being finished. It's too easy to just run a wire wheel through it to shine it before it ships off. It's just good craftsmanship. I could understand one being missed possibly but all three didn't have the scale removed from the inside, which is just sloppy.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

acfixer69 wrote:
What the hell does 6 years here got to do with milehigh's finished product :crazy:
It shows he is not a random troll about quality of a supplier - but a concerned customer with a valid sense of injustice

In MY HUMBLE OPINION - old boy !

ymmv of course :)
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

NADERHANNA1719 wrote:I could have made these for $100 a pop, including the cost of a a plumber to tig them for me, but I didn't want to go the DIY route, because I figured it would be a bitch to get rid of all the carbon, and I didn't want to waste time with a vinegar run and sugar wash run, so I paid $485 each, including shipping to Palestine (the country - not Texas) and an extra $50 each for customs.That's $1,605 just for 3 heads only. That's why I consider it a premium.
The vinegar and the sacrificial need to be done even with the store bought. Looks like DIY makes sense again.
Hope you figured that, it's not always about the money. More $$= better
NADERHANNA1719
Novice

Post by NADERHANNA1719 »

You live and learn guys.