Degassing wine for brandy

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Ananimity
Novice

Degassing wine for brandy

Post by Ananimity »

I’ve searched HD and Google for the answer and didn’t have any luck. I’ve seen answers about degassing BW, but that’s a sugar wash. I guess the wine I’ve made is also a sugar wash to an extent. I used frozen concentrate that we had in the freezer for a while. Figured I would put it to good use. Frozen concentrate, sugar, water and yeast. It has fermented from 1.09 to 1.00. It has a very nice flavor and scent. I have racked 2 gallons to be bottled as wine for the wife. I plan on making brandy with the remaining 6 gallons. As expected, there is a lot of co2 in the wine I’m turning into brandy. I currently do not own a degassing rod. My long drawn out question is this. Do I need to purchase a degassing rod and degas the wine before I distill it? Will it change the out come either way? Will a degassed wine make a cleaner brandy?

Thanks
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Re: Degassing wine for brandy

Post by aircarbonarc »

You just need to shake it up a bit
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Ananimity wrote:...Do I need to purchase a degassing rod and degas the wine before I distill it? Will it change the out come either way? Will a degassed wine make a cleaner brandy?
A "sparkling wine"? Sounds inviting.

As for "degassing"....I bet the boiler will knock the CO2 out for you. I don't think I'd worry so much about the bubbles...I'd be more concerned about residual sugars in the wine.

Heck, I don't "degas" beers I've salvaged for their alcohol. I wouldn't worry a peep about your wine.

But...YMMV.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Chuck it in the pot an' cook it !

+1 to SS
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Degassing is helpful if foaming and thus puking is likely to be an issue. Simply pouring it from one bucket to another repeatedly will degas sufficiently. There will be no flavor difference between a degassed run and one that wasn't presuming the non-degassed one doesn't foam over and puke. Even then there won't be a difference if you do a double run and it almost assuredly won't foam and puke on the spirit run.

FWIW I made a welches brandy before, and don't remember it being very foamy at all. So stir it up, or pour it back and forth whatever if you want, but it's probably fine without it.