Still arrived and apple cider bubbling

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bore
Novice

Still arrived and apple cider bubbling

Post by Bore »

Couple questions..

It's a stainless steel still so I think I'll need to add some copper from what I've read. Good idea to stuff a copper scrub pad into the tube near the lid? Or any better suggestions?

For cleaning the new still should a scrub and rinse with vinegar be OK?

https://i.imgur.com/xp6XfVe.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://i.imgur.com/dkVwSrE.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Still arrived and apple cider bubbling

Post by still_stirrin »

Water/steam run, then 50/50 water vinegar run, and finally a sacrificial alcohol run. Don’t skimp...you’ll need them all, even on a “store bought” still...even stainless. Gotta’ get it clean if you plan to drink the product.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Bore
Novice

Post by Bore »

Sounds good Thanks! Got a couple of weeks before the ciders ready. Still have a bit of reading up to do.
cdd
Novice

Post by cdd »

That's a very interesting column design to say at least. I wish there was a sticky In red color and large font size "ask for advice here before buying your first still!!!". I would have saved 200 euros and a lot of time for sure.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Hey Bore,

You’re new here.

Most won’t follow external image links to your pictures (including me). We advocate posting your images directly on this site (there’s an “upload attachment” tab at the bottom of the input entry box). You must resize your images to 800x800 pixels (maximum) for posting here.

External posted images will eventually disappear and that somewhat destroys the value of your thread. So, please post them to the HD site so they’ll sustain.

Thx.
ss

p.s. - you can actually go back to your original post and edit it (for a time) and add the photos.
Wino2Distill
Novice

Post by Wino2Distill »

My experience with running cider is that it needs lots of copper. Copper scrubber in the column wasn't enough for me. A handful of small copper pipe fittings in the kettle does the trick. I would also de-gas properly by stirring the clarified cider to incorporate some oxygen into it and air out some of the hydrogen sulfide.
Don't remove too much heads as much of the apple flavour is there.
Happy stillin!
Starting out with an Essential Pro Series II - 8 Gal Kettle
Bore
Novice

Post by Bore »

cdd wrote:That's a very interesting column design to say at least. I wish there was a sticky In red color and large font size "ask for advice here before buying your first still!!!". I would have saved 200 euros and a lot of time for sure.
Cost about $420 Canadian delivered. It's a 22 Litre kettle. Going to clean it tonight as the suggestions above. Came w the sump pump and all the hoses. Not a bad deal I guess.
Bore
Novice

Post by Bore »

still_stirrin wrote:Hey Bore,

You’re new here.

Most won’t follow external image links to your pictures (including me). We advocate posting your images directly on this site (there’s an “upload attachment” tab at the bottom of the input entry box). You must resize your images to 800x800 pixels (maximum) for posting here.

External posted images will eventually disappear and that somewhat destroys the value of your thread. So, please post them to the HD site so they’ll sustain.

Thx.
ss

p.s. - you can actually go back to your original post and edit it (for a time) and add the photos.
Thanks, Makes sense. Can't see where to edit the post. Downloaded a resize app for future posts. I'll test it here
xp6XfVe-432x768.jpg
Attachments
DSC_0382-432x768.JPG
Bore
Novice

Post by Bore »

Wino2Distill wrote:My experience with running cider is that it needs lots of copper. Copper scrubber in the column wasn't enough for me. A handful of small copper pipe fittings in the kettle does the trick. I would also de-gas properly by stirring the clarified cider to incorporate some oxygen into it and air out some of the hydrogen sulfide.
Don't remove too much heads as much of the apple flavour is there.
Happy stillin!
Excellent Thanks for the tips:) I'll add some copper fittings to the cider.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Thanks Bore, for the repost of the pictures. Looks like you've got a good start.

Oh, the "edit" button is located by the "quote" button above the upper right hand side of your post. But, the edit button only lasts for a few days, or until enough follow on posts make the edit overcome-by-events. Look for it.
ss
Bore
Novice

Post by Bore »

Bubbling starting to slow down. Probably a bubble every second now instead of like boiling. Got the copper scrubbers. Wondering if I should use one or two in the boiler instead of fittings? Got six in the pack. I'll boil them first to get rid of factory stuff
Bore
Novice

Post by Bore »

Huge success! Thanks for the help:) The cider was done after 3 weeks. Almost to zero and tasted pretty good. Probably close to wine in alcohol. Had a little bit while I was siphonig. I split the six gallons into 2 batches. First batch I took out the first 50 ml and tossed it. The next half litter went in a jar. Then I filled a gallon jug halfways. The rest about a litter went into a jar. Tasted pretty waterd down. I put the heads and tails back into the second batch. Did the same took out the first 50 ml. Filled a 750ml bottle halfway and then filled the gallon jug to the top. Took a swig of the heads and burned my throat. Dang wasn't expecting that. Then continued filling the 750 bottle to the top and called it a day. Been sipping from the jug for a couple evenings now. Very nice. I'll put some oak chips in the head/tail bottle and forget about it for now. Very happy with the results. Can't wait for fall:))

Cheers
Attachments
DSC_0361-432x768.JPG