Add water to mash for still with element?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Add water to mash for still with element?

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

I have an 8 gallon milk can still with a heating element towards the bottom. Getting ready to run my first 5 gallons of mash (corn maize and malted barley). My question is if it makes sense to add maybe a gallon or so of water to the pot to bring the total volume to 6 gallons. Given you can not run the mash below element, I was thinking if I add water it might allow me to squeeze out some more product before it gets below the element. I know this will lower my ABV, but ultimately the total amount of alcohol will be the same. Assuming the last gallon cannot be ran due to being below the element, I'd rather run 5/6 of the mash instead of 4/5 of it. Does this make sense or does it simply not work that way?

Thanks in advance.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Re: Add water to mash for still with element?

Post by OtisT »

WithOrWithoutU2 wrote:I have an 8 gallon milk can still with a heating element towards the bottom. Getting ready to run my first 5 gallons of mash (corn maize and malted barley). My question is if it makes sense to add maybe a gallon or so of water to the pot to bring the total volume to 6 gallons. Given you can not run the mash below element, I was thinking if I add water it might allow me to squeeze out some more product before it gets below the element. I know this will lower my ABV, but ultimately the total amount of alcohol will be the same. Assuming the last gallon cannot be ran due to being below the element, I'd rather run 5/6 of the mash instead of 4/5 of it. Does this make sense or does it simply not work that way?

Thanks in advance.
Better than guessing, try this: https://homedistiller.org/calcs/rad14701" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Look at the "Distillate to Water Calculator" on Rad's calcs page on the home site. If you know your ABV, you can quickly calculate how much you will collect and how much will remain in your boiler.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Do you know how high the liquid level must be to keep the element submerged? Add water a quart at a time and check when it is fully covered. That’ll be your minimum liquid level.

Then, the calculator Otis pointed you to will tell you whether or not you need to add any water. But you will need the ABV of the wash for the calculator. You do know what that is, right?
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

OtisT wrote:
WithOrWithoutU2 wrote:I have an 8 gallon milk can still with a heating element towards the bottom. Getting ready to run my first 5 gallons of mash (corn maize and malted barley). My question is if it makes sense to add maybe a gallon or so of water to the pot to bring the total volume to 6 gallons. Given you can not run the mash below element, I was thinking if I add water it might allow me to squeeze out some more product before it gets below the element. I know this will lower my ABV, but ultimately the total amount of alcohol will be the same. Assuming the last gallon cannot be ran due to being below the element, I'd rather run 5/6 of the mash instead of 4/5 of it. Does this make sense or does it simply not work that way?

Thanks in advance.
Better than guessing, try this: https://homedistiller.org/calcs/rad14701" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Look at the "Distillate to Water Calculator" on Rad's calcs page on the home site. If you know your ABV, you can quickly calculate how much you will collect and how much will remain in your boiler.

Otis
Thanks. Very helpful. And Damn..you all have some amazing resources. Some very smart and generous people have put in some time and energy into this forum! I seriously doubt I will ever have enough practical hands on knowledge to contribute back to others. But hopefully in time I will at least learn this site enough to help others find the resources/knowledge that others have contributed.
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

still_stirrin wrote:Do you know how high the liquid level must be to keep the element submerged? Add water a quart at a time and check when it is fully covered. That’ll be your minimum liquid level.

Then, the calculator Otis pointed you to will tell you whether or not you need to add any water. But you will need the ABV of the wash for the calculator. You do know what that is, right?
ss
Yes sir. About 30 cups to cover the element. And my ABV is about 6.3%. So according to the calculator if 92% of distallet collected, there will be 73 cups water left over with about 5.4 cups of of alcohol collected. So no need to add water.

BTW...5.4 cups of alcohol... :( . If, 1/3 of that is drinkable after cuts that is maybe 3 cups by the time I bring it down to 40% if I pot distill it. I just realized, this will have to be more of a labor of love than a labor of practicality. I knew that already, but not by how much. :shock: But in all honesty as long as it is good quality I don't care much. But it already has me second guessing not going with the 13 gallon tank and 3" column. :think: