Musty post run wash/s

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Micmac
Novice

Musty post run wash/s

Post by Micmac »

Haveing never actually been in a distillery I’m not sure what normal tastes and smells are like so I need confirmation. Post run all my washes have a strong musty smell that permeates all the distilling equipment. I did an vinegar and sacrificial run when I got up and running. I’ve done a few runs since and all post run washes have a strong musty odor . I diligently clean the full unit afterwards. I see many people just rinse for a few runs but the musty-ness scares me to do that. Normal in distilling process? I’ve done a couple different type of washes UJSSM a couple generations and a couple attempts at burbouns .
Shine0n
Distiller

Re: Musty post run wash/s

Post by Shine0n »

To me in my stills, musty means I'm into the tails.

How did you collect your spirit (size), did you air out for a day or two, what portions did you keep for drinking likker, how hot did you run the still, gas or electric, how fast???

Single run or strip/spirit?
Thumper or not?

All these are questions we would need answered inorder to be more precise but TAILS are my first guess not knowing much else.

Not trying to be rude by the response but what I've asked are what we need to know because some of these things can be tied together.
Help us help you,
Shine0n
Fills Jars Slowly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fills Jars Slowly »

If I read the OP correctly, it is the aroma of stillage (spent mash, dunder, lees...) that is in question. If that is the case then, yeah, it often smells pretty funky. Different for different fermentations, but sort of concentrated tails.
Micmac
Novice

Post by Micmac »

From what I’m gathering it’s a normal smell from being in the tails / dunder. It’s a reflux still on electric run on the lowest powere as possible. The question I have is how often the still needs a full cleaning
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Yep, normal. You leave behind much of that you don't want. Therefore, funk.

Cool and freeze some of that funky backset from your stripping runs, and you'll find all sorts of uses for it. You'll see bourbon recipes in the tried and true section which will prescribe a certain amount used hot to soak corn in to speed gelatinization and keep your pH in a good range for starch conversion. Pour it on weeds and watch them brown and wilt. Great drain cleaner poured hot down the kitchen sink.

The funk has spunk.
Micmac
Novice

Post by Micmac »

“Funk has Spunk” lol love it!

I think I’ll call my 70’s cover band Funky Backset