Citric Acid for cleaning copper pot still, what's the scoop?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BlackSailJ
Novice

Citric Acid for cleaning copper pot still, what's the scoop?

Post by BlackSailJ »

With all the searching I have done on how to use citric acid for cleaning a copper pot still has led me in circles all confused.

I have read that a tablespoon of citric acid per gallon gives a good dosing rate. Is this solution just to soak equipment in and hand scrubbing?

When doing a cleaning cycle (1st time), I distilled 1/2 & 1/2 white vinegar & water. Next is the sacrificial run of sugar wash to complete the cleaning cycle. Do you add citric acid to the vinegar or sacrificial run, and if so how much?

Thank you for your suggestions.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Citric Acid for cleaning copper pot still, what's the sc

Post by still_stirrin »

BlackSailJ wrote:I have read that a tablespoon of citric acid per gallon gives a good dosing rate. Is this solution just to soak equipment in and hand scrubbing?
Yep....soaking to give the copper a "shiney glow".
BlackSailJ wrote:When doing a cleaning cycle (1st time), I distilled 1/2 & 1/2 white vinegar & water. Next is the sacrificial run of sugar wash to complete the cleaning cycle. Do you add citric acid to the vinegar or sacrificial run, and if so how much?
The "cleaning protocol" calls for a vinegar run between the steam run and your sacrificial alcohol run. The best method is to use 50/50 vinegar/water and run it for and hour or more. It will help clean out the insides of the still. I steamed mine for a couple of hours, collecting the vinegar at the product outlet. The still shed smelled nicely "pickled" when done.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

The reason for using an organic acid, like citric or acidic, on new copper... or on a copper pot that hasn't been used for a while, is not so much to clean it but to "passivate" the surface. Surface Cu oxides can be attacked by amines in the wash (ammonia from the DAP yeast nutrient is one source) this will give you "blue spirits" in your low wines and/or spirit run. It makes the spirit undrinkable...the copper-amine salts are toxic. It just needs a quick 2 second dip in a weak organic acid to do this, weak as in a tablespoon in a gallon of warm water, store it in a bottle afterwards, it will keep for ages.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
BlackSailJ
Novice

Post by BlackSailJ »

Just as a follow-up, I did not distill with citric acid in the still, but did clean with it. I took 1/2 gallon (64 ounces) of hot water and 5 grams of citric acid powder and scrubbed it with minimal effort and it was squeaky clean . I do this after every use now.
WillC
Novice

Re: Citric Acid for cleaning copper pot still, what's the scoop?

Post by WillC »

My pot is used and i do clean it just over time the inside isnt as shiny as it used to be.
Wasnt sure how much citric acid to use, so threw a handful in the wash basin, let it soak until it was bright and rinsed very well.
When wiping the inside of the pot a bright yellow gunk was on the rag. Glad that came out!

So....now that i have done this, do i still need to do a vinegar and Everclear run or is that more for a brand new still?
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

People worry to much about cleaning there damn copper. Vinegar run, water steam run, sacrificial alcohol run and done. And a hot water rinse And dry after each run. Stop making it so damn hard.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Magic
Novice

Post by Magic »

Prairiepiss wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:02 am People worry to much about cleaning there damn copper. Vinegar run, water steam run, sacrificial alcohol run and done. And a hot water rinse And dry after each run. Stop making it so damn hard.
That sounds like good advice.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

It not only sounds like good advice , it is good advice.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I will add if you have a boiler puke situation. Just knock the chunks out of everything rinse it out good and let dry.

And truthfully as soon as you start your next run. The fores and steam that is the first thing that moves through the still. Will clean and sterilize it better then you are going to do in between your runs.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.