Spirit Run Wattage

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

TunaSquat
Novice

Spirit Run Wattage

Post by TunaSquat »

Spent a couple of hours last night researching but I'm not seeing exactly what I'm looking for. I'm going to move from propane to electric, and instead of messing around with a controller, I'd like to go with two elements like I've seen here. One element will be 5500 or 6500 watts, and I'll use it for warm up and possibly stripping runs. The other element will be for spirit runs. I have a 20 gallon simple pot and usually fill to 16-18 gallons. What size should the smaller element be?

Thanks.
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Re: Spirit Run Wattage

Post by ShineRunner »

Why fight the controller? They’re cheap, easy, and allow you adjustability. Having a single element that is only at full power, say 2000W, limits you. As a run progresses, you need to add more power. Some runs will require different power requirements based on abv and volume. It’s really a minimum of “messing around” and a lot of benefit.

As an analogy, most ovens are usually run at 350 or 400 for most recipes. You can adjust just about any recipe for either temperature, but would you really ever buy an oven that only works at those two temperatures?

SR
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

TunaSquat wrote:Spent a couple of hours last night researching but I'm not seeing exactly what I'm looking for. I'm going to move from propane to electric, and instead of messing around with a controller, I'd like to go with two elements like I've seen here. One element will be 5500 or 6500 watts, and I'll use it for warm up and possibly stripping runs. The other element will be for spirit runs. I have a 20 gallon simple pot and usually fill to 16-18 gallons. What size should the smaller element be?
Well, perhaps you didn't look in the right place. Here, read this:
https://homedistiller.org/calcs/pot_calc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Plug your numbers in and see what you get.

And remember, power affects the rate of vapor production. If you have no control, you will be rampantly producing vapors.

Tell us....with the propane, did you ever adjust the heat input? Did you ever make a burner adjustment? Why did you? Well, that is exactly the same reason you need control for electric heat. Think about it.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Yeah your idea will work but will be far from ideal. You need control. Get the 5500w and a $20 eBay controller, you'll be glad you did. I converted to electric for less than $100 and have alot finer control over propane. Electricity is much cheaper than propane as well, the conversion literally paid for itself by the first spirit run.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
TunaSquat
Novice

Post by TunaSquat »

Understood, it seemed like it was a bit more than I wanted to chew off, but I guess I'll give it a shot. Everything I was seeing on eBay was 100+ and that was for 110v. I searched for "variac", which was previously recommended on these boards.
Ferthy
Novice

Post by Ferthy »

I’m not trying to sell a product. Maybe endorsing a bit. But when I was looking to make my still and tried figuring out what was needed to buy a controller it became a huge hassle. The still dragon controller is pretty good on price. And all the little pieces are picked out for you. No need to buy something from a third party and hope to god it will work with this other thing you bought from another seller.

If you get the still dragon controller you just need to pickup a few wires and a cord from your local hardware store easy peasy. And if I can put it together any idiot with a solder gun can. Plus lots of people here have on and can help with any questions. Anyways just my 2 cents.
Ferthy
Novice

Post by Ferthy »

Also if you haven’t picked out and element yet make sure you get a stainless steel one. Don’t use a regular water heater element. They are coated with metal that will get stripped off and end up in your hooch after your first spirit run. That almost happened to uh... this guy I know.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I'd recommend using two heaters, both smaller than 5500w
3500 - 4500w works good. Don't be afraid of a simple controller :lol:
Also, you can run one or both of the 240v heaters on 120v for reduced power
TunaSquat
Novice

Post by TunaSquat »

still_stirrin wrote: Well, perhaps you didn't look in the right place. Here, read this:
https://homedistiller.org/calcs/pot_calc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Plug your numbers in and see what you get.
I really like that calculator but as far as you know, is it accurate? It shows linear decreases in ABV as you go along but I thought ABVs stayed pretty stable through the hearts, and then tended to drop quickly after hitting the tails.

Thanks.
TunaSquat
Novice

Post by TunaSquat »

Ferthy wrote:I’m not trying to sell a product. Maybe endorsing a bit. But when I was looking to make my still and tried figuring out what was needed to buy a controller it became a huge hassle. The still dragon controller is pretty good on price. And all the little pieces are picked out for you. No need to buy something from a third party and hope to god it will work with this other thing you bought from another seller.

If you get the still dragon controller you just need to pickup a few wires and a cord from your local hardware store easy peasy. And if I can put it together any idiot with a solder gun can. Plus lots of people here have on and can help with any questions. Anyways just my 2 cents.
What's the difference between the large and the small controller? The details of both appear to be the same.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

TunaSquat wrote: What's the difference between the large and the small controller? The details of both appear to be the same.
Usually there's a power factor, but they aren't clear on that at all. I fired them an e-mail query and will let you know if/when I get a response.
~fizzix
Ferthy
Novice

Post by Ferthy »

I thought it was the size of the utility box but don’t quote me. Either way if it is power usage or not I would go with the large one. I have a small 5 gallon keg still with a 1500w element and used the large one even though I don’t think I technically needed it. I went with the larger one just becuase everyone said it would be easier to assemble in he larger box vs the smaller box.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

I finally got answer from StillDragon on the controllers:

The large and small controllers use all the same inside parts. The only difference is the size of the box.

Hope this helps.

Dianne Wintermute
Operations Manager
TunaSquat
Novice

Post by TunaSquat »

fizzix wrote:I finally got answer from StillDragon on the controllers:

The large and small controllers use all the same inside parts. The only difference is the size of the box.

Hope this helps.

Dianne Wintermute
Operations Manager
That does help, thanks.