First Still Recommendations

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

grainfarmer
Novice

Post by grainfarmer »

I have been reading and searching for quite some time now .....and trying to come to a final decision on my first still. Not looking for brand name recommendations ..... but am curious if there are any words of advice from experienced folks on getting ones first still .... to a person like me taking the plunge on first still. On the fence about using a column or not ... and what size pot to get as well as an electric controller. Thanks.
Last edited by grainfarmer on Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you ain't lovin', then you ain't livin'.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: First Still Recommendations

Post by pfshine »

The answer depends on what you like to drink. I built a boka for my first still. I hated it because I like whiskey and my time. If you like neutral/vodka I would recommend a packed column of some kind, lots to choose from. If you like whiskey bourbon brandy or rum I would suggest a pot still if you are building, if you are buying and have a decent budget I would suggest a plated column. I would highly suggest building over buying but that is up to you and your skill set.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

You can check rgreen's how to choose a still too.
He covers a lot of ground there.
grainfarmer
Novice

Post by grainfarmer »

Thanks. Looking for a setup with little kick and flavor too. What I have read so far is maintaining temperature is critical and controllers can help with maintaining temperature. Some readings sound as if a column simplifies the process. I know there are lots of folks on here and a wealth of information on suggestions based from their own experience. Been reading and researching for several months and want to jump in but also appreciate the experienced folks input.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

grainfarmer wrote:... Looking for a setup...Been reading and researching for several months and want to jump in...
From your response, I assume you want to buy rather than build. You’ve already been given good advice and leads for your information as to how to decide which (type of) still might be best for you. Make use of those resources to better understand and decide. Any of our opinions are purely that...opinions. You need to decide what’s best for you.

I recommend building, as it helps you better understand the workings of the still you’ve chosen to operate. It will give you plenty of “personal time” with the tool you’ll spend a lot of tme with...hands on time. Buying may be a quick path to an end, but without as much investment of time (but greater investment of money).

Follow the link provided and read through (study) it. You should have more knowledge when done.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

wel..I built a boka, and then a pot still head and now I am building and buying a flute. I guess if I were to do it again..I would start with the flute.I guess I need to see how it performs first.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

grainfarmer wrote:Thanks. Looking for a setup with little kick and flavor too. What I have read so far is maintaining temperature is critical and controllers can help with maintaining temperature. Some readings sound as if a column simplifies the process. I know there are lots of folks on here and a wealth of information on suggestions based from their own experience. Been reading and researching for several months and want to jump in but also appreciate the experienced folks input.
It sound like what you want is flavored spirits rather than neutral. If so, stop thinking about temperatures entirely. I don’t know what it is about being new to distilling, but everyone seems to think temperate crucial — I did as well, I’m not sitting on a high horse here.

If you want to make whiskey, start with a pot still. If you start with a pot still, don’t buy a thermometer. If you’ve got heat control on your boiler, just use it to control the size of the stream coming from your condenser.

No matter what, pot stills are simple and always useful. Just a boiler, pipe going straight up, then a condenser heading back down. Make sure you only use stainless, copper and PTFE for your materials and the sky is the limit.

My first still was cobbled together from a single trip to Target and Home Depot — just a hot plate, a stock pot, some binder clips, some 3/4” pipe and a few elbows and a threaded connector to mount it on the stockpot lid. Keep it simple to start, and if you enjoy the hobby you can always upgrade bit by bit.

These days I run a flute, with 2 plates, and I still don’t use a thermometer.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Great advice, I agree with the comment that you learn a lot from building your own still. As mentioned the type of still is subjective, my first still was a VM, which worked great for neutrals but did nothing for whiskey. A pot still works great for whiskey and rum but to get a neutral you need multiple runs. My second build was a CM and I have been running it for years without looking back.
grainfarmer
Novice

Post by grainfarmer »

I am in no hurry to get to the distilling process. But I do want to have a decent foundation of knowledge when I do start. Also, I hope to get or make a still and get what I want and like the first time. And like someone earlier posted - everyone's post is their opinion. I respect and recognize that, but for one to share their opinion or experience, is appreciated and all such posts are given thought and consideration in my forward progress. Thanks to all for the links and your posts.
underdog
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by underdog »

Greetings, and welcome!

You'll find that everyone has opinions here, and part of the fun is to read them all and make up your own mind.

My first still was a Boka. When I built it, I put a flange on the head, so that my actual column is one long spool. I built the column just about as long as my stillin' room's roof could handle (advantage of building yerself). That long column is packed with copper mesh, which has served me well. However, I do have some SPP on order.....

BUT...... I can leave that ridiculously long column in the garage, put my Boka head right on my boiler and I've got a pot still. Works great like that. You'll hear a lot of folks talk about how you need a pot still to make good whiskey - and I've made some nice stuff that way. However, by following Ian Smiley's instructions and reading about Odin's (semi-famous member here) experiences, I've found that I prefer the Pure Whiskey product over my pot still stuff. So...... I make whiskey that I love with my Boka and I can make neutral for panty-dropper (pineapple and blueberry are our favorites) to keep the missus and her friends happy. If I want to experiment with a pot still again, that's always an option with my setup.

My taste may not be your taste (remember that bit about opinions?) but the point here is that a little versatility can be designed into your rig - even of you don't make it yourself.

I run my still in the laundry room. I have an extra 220v outlet there - makes it convenient. Electricity is the way to go, and it's stupid easy to build your own control box for the water heater element in your boiler.... or you could buy one, I guess. It's up to you. I use a 16 gallon stainless milk can that I bought online years ago. It came with a drain valve and a port for the heating element. They're a bit more expensive than they used to be - a keg is a good option, too, but it requires more work.

Anyway, whatever you start with can and most likely will change as you get more experience....
grainfarmer
Novice

Post by grainfarmer »

Thanks. You hit on the word I use when making decisions on anything ... versatility .....flexibility. That is something I hope to incorporate with my still. I have a 220 outlet in my shop and am planning on possible adding a mini room to store and use my still in. I am a fan of tradition and history and that is where the old copper pots weigh on me - just because of the history and tradition of the copper pot.