Liquid Metal...

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

NADERHANNA1719
Novice

Liquid Metal...

Post by NADERHANNA1719 »

Hi Everyone,

I hope all is well.

I'm currently running 3 Mile Hi Distilling 3" Pot Still Heads on 50L Stainless Steel Milk Can Boilers.

I did a vinegar run and did a sacrificial alcohol run, and I'm now on my sixth stripping run with them.

Everything is hooked up and running as it should, and I'm running them hard, wrapping up my runs in about 5.5 hours.

The problem is in between runs, when I knock-down the equipment and hose down the internals, I find a lot of liquid metal in the boiler, head, and parrots, and a bit even made its way into the collection tanks.

Anyone know what I can do?

I cleaned the hell out of them so many times, but it keeps happening. Also, I can't tell where it's coming from, some has a chrome color, and some has an orange tint to it, so it could be either the boiler or the head - not sure.

I'm triple distilling, so I figured in the second run I can filter it through a cheese cloth before sending it back to the boiler, and then I can also put a cheese cloth on the collection tank with some cotton balls to skim it out, but I'd really like a permanent solution if any.

Thanks Guys,
Nader
NADERHANNA1719
Novice

Re: Liquid Metal...

Post by NADERHANNA1719 »

Just a follow-up note... I ran an all copper portuguese alembic pot still for the last eight years and this never happened to me before, so I'm guessing it might be the stainless - I really dunno.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

What mash recipes have you been running ? In all likelihood, if you're done your required cleaning runs, then it's not "liquid metal" but fusel oils from your boiler charges. If your distillate is clear then don't sweat it. It's in the boiler where it belongs.

Now, if you're running sugar washes then it's a different ball game.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Seems like other members have had the same occurrence.
They all had mile hi copper stillheads too.
After a good boiling in 50/50 water vinegar, I'd also let it lay overnight in foreshots, then wipe clean with shot soaked rag.
All the nooks and crannies..Paying extra attention to the soldered joints AND especially ferrule joints till no residue on your rag..Prolly not the tig on your stainless.
Rinse with hot water and hopefully enjoy.
Ifn problem persists, inquire at mile hi.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

greggn wrote:What mash recipes have you been running ? In all likelihood, if you're done your required cleaning runs, then it's not "liquid metal" but fusel oils from your boiler charges. If your distillate is clear then don't sweat it. It's in the boiler where it belongs.

Now, if you're running sugar washes then it's a different ball game.
+1

i have been running AG for 1.5 years thru a SD SS column, gets this everytime.

the first rum wash cleaned out some black shit that sunk. next one was clean, no oils.just ran my 3rd rum wash, crystal clear.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
NADERHANNA1719
Novice

Post by NADERHANNA1719 »

Thanks guys. I'm doing Grappa, so my wash is a 17% abv wine. I did a 50/50 vinegar run, first half without condenser (all steam) second half with, then I ran some 12% birdwatcher through it, then I gave it a thorough scrubbing. I'm on my seventh run with these stills and as of the sixth I was still getting liquid metal of some sort. I'm thinking of putting a cheese cloth over my collection tank on the second distillation.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Hi, Do you mean liquid metal as in a mercury looking substance?

Are you using any kind of packing?

I have a 3” milehi copper potstill Head and homemade liebig. Have not experienced this and I’ve run maybe 40-50 charges so far.

Cheers,
J
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

NADERHANNA1719 wrote: I'm thinking of putting a cheese cloth over my collection tank on the second distillation.
i use an organic, vegan, gluten free 100% natural blue shop towel, fresh off the roll. it's amazing how much shit they catch.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
NADERHANNA1719
Novice

Post by NADERHANNA1719 »

@jonnys_spirit - yes it is a mercury looking substance - like liquid chrome. I'm not using any packing.I just finished my eleventh run on all three stills. The problem isn't going away. I've stripped them down and cleaned the hell out of them between each run.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...