My Experience with the Mile Hi Mighty Mini Pro

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

dr_canak
Novice

My Experience with the Mile Hi Mighty Mini Pro

Post by dr_canak »

As I did not see very much on the Mile Hi Mighty Mini, I figured I would record my thoughts here, and hope they are helpful to others considering this still. Started with an Air Still, then moved on to a T-500. With time, patience, practice and alternate recipes/yeasts, I am now able to create decent, drinkable neutrals out of both, using a sugar wash. However, I wanted to try all grain distillation. I knew the T-500 could be modded to run as a pot still, but didn't really quite understand how it needed to be modded, and just did not think I had the expertise to suss it out. Given space and time constraints, a small pot still was what I needed. I have limited space, limited time, and need to distill indoors. The Mighty Mini with electric heat ticks all those boxes. I settled on the Mile Hi Mighty Mini Pro (the one with the sight glass), along with their 1500 watt hotplate, and here is where I am at so far.

I plan to run this as a pot-still primarily, although it does come with a reflux jacket. From the shop, it comes with a single inline set of hoses that runs from the tap, to the condenser, to the reflux jacket, then out to the sink. However, others have recommended purchasing extra hose, fittings, t's and valves so that the reflux jacket and condenser can be controlled separately. Google the Mighty Mini and you'll eventually find a picture of the plumbing setup. I did purchase the valves, fittings and such (from an aquarium/pond supplier) but have not yet hooked it all up. For now, because I am just thinking of this as a pot-still, I am not running water to the reflux jacket, and sticking with the main condenser only. After getting the water hoses hooked up, my flow rate was approximately 300ml/minute and seemed to produce the expected output rate.

To end the suspense, I just assembled the still and have not yet done a true run. Build quality appears excellent, and I have noticed no issues, anywhere. I just finished a cleaning run (because it was a brand new still) and so I do have some observations. For the cleaning run, I simply purchased two, 1.75L bottles of *cheap* vodka, diluted down to approximately 13% ABV, and ran that. I really did not feel like waiting for a newly fermented mash. This was much quicker, and not expensive. Not being familiar with the still, or hotplate, I initially set the hotplate on "medium". After approximately 30 minutes, I set the hotplate to "high". After about another 30 minutes, the still started to boil and actively produce alcohol. The temperature at the top of the column read approximately 175 F (80 C). Once it started producing, I dialed back the heat to halfway between medium and high. So, after approximately 60 minutes, the still was producing 85% ABV, with a temp at the top of the column of 175 F. At 90 minutes, production was down to 70% ABV (Column temp was 85 C), and at 120 minutes I was down to 60% ABV (Column temp 90 C). Finally, I was down to 45% ABV after 3 hours (90 C at the top of the column). Because I was just cleaning, I was not making any cuts. These numbers are just provided as a guide to how the still is operating.

In the end, running approximately 3 gallons of 13% ABV took about 3+ hours. At 1 hour, output was 85% ABV. By hour 3, I was down to 45% ABV. If I were making cuts, now is where I would start to really pay attention. Throughout the three hour run, column head temp never exceeded 90C (195F), but clearly climbed over the course of this run. After 3 hours, I ended with approximately 2L of 63% ABV.

The equipment I'm working with:

- Mighty Mini Pro with sight glass + 1500w hotplate
- Copper Parrot (purchased off ebay)
- A bunch of additional hoses, fittings, and such to run the reflux and main condenser separately (aquarium/pond supplier)
- Still spirits flow control pump (not using at the moment; mainly for the T-500). If I try the Mighty Mini as reflux, may hook up this inline as well.

Edited to include a link to the other long post on the Mighty Mini, just to keep all the information together:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=17331&start=0
Last edited by dr_canak on Fri May 11, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My Experience with the Mile Hi Mighty Mini Pro

Post by fizzix »

That's a good looking still:
Mile Hi Mini Pro.JPG
More often than not I find myself running pot still mode too, and think it's wise you split the jacket water supply for when you do decide to reflux.
Dig the sight glass! And good on you for cleaning it.
As you get some runs under your belt, you just may find yourself looking less and less at the temperature and running by output stream instead.

Have fun learning to drive your new still and good luck with your recipes.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Good luck with the tiny product condenser. I think you’ll find it undersized (too short) for the vapor production rate at potstill operations. Add a secondary Liebig in series if you need more power handling capacity.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
dr_canak
Novice

Post by dr_canak »

still_stirrin wrote:Good luck with the tiny product condenser. I think you’ll find it undersized (too short) for the vapor production rate at potstill operations.
ss
Thx for the reply. I wouldn't really know how to measure the vapor production rate, but recognize that the setup is small. Like I said, I am just limited it what I can put where. The resulting output was the proverbial steady pencil lead thin stream throughout the run so I'm guessing it's o.k. Admittedly, I think putting another condenser in series would be well beyond my skill set given the nature and build of this particular still. I'll have a better handle on things when I do an actual run, and figure out how to manage the heat and output volume/rate when cuts come into play. I'll definitely be back with an update.
dr_canak
Novice

Post by dr_canak »

Had a little time and a couple runs, so can update where I'm at. I hope this helps others considering this still, or similarly smaller setups when space/time doesn't allow for bigger setups.

I really purchased this to try some small batch all grain. To that end, I purchased a couple pre-packaged kits from moonshine distillers. There B&M might be fine, but their online sales are beyond bad. After almost 2 months, they managed to finally get the correct stuff shipped. I ordered a gin spice satchel, a rye blend, and a scotch blend. I figured better to try something somewhat pre-packaged before going it alone.

I went with the gin spice first. Dumped the contents into a small sack of cheesecloth and put it into the sight glass that came with the still. I then took some 35% ABV neutral I had, and filled the pot with water and neutral till I had around 3 gallons of 15% ABV. Then ran it. The total run time was around 3 hours before I hit a tails wall, and it was time to start setting everything else aside. I ended up with 5 * 750mls. Truth be told, I was not at all pleased with the result. I'm not a gin drinker, and had made it for a friend. I am still waiting on their verdict. But for me, it was simply too aromatic and peppery. Maybe the satchel was just too much spice for a small run. Don't know. But if my friend isn't fond of it either, I might try to cut it with some neutral to see if that helps. But it was simply too pungent for my tastes.

Then I went ahead and tried the rye. Because the still is small, I split the package in half, figuring I'd do two small 3 gallon runs. On the plus side, I could use my Gigawort. On the downside, never having used the Gigawort before, I made quite a mess of things. I think my lesson there is that the grain must be placed in a nylon bag (even though that's supposedly not necessary), and hung from the side handles. I think the grain settling on the bottom threw off the temp sensor, so it was running way hotter than it should. I know it works, because with plain water it runs as advertised. With grain sitting on the bottom? Not so much. The grain bill was some mix of corn, rye and malted barley. All three required different temps, and even with the addition of Sebstar enzymes, I think the poor temp control borked the effort. When I was done, I had about 3 gallons of mash with an s.g. of 1.03. That seemed kind of low, so I ended up adding 3 lbs of corn sugar to kick it up. Fermented out in about a week.

The stripping run took about 4 hours. I added a thermometer to the pot. Yes I know you're not supposed to drive these things by temp. But with all everyone says about small stills being impossible to make cuts on, any information is better than none. I also added a copper parrot. At about an hour, @ 190F, I was producing 70% ABV. At about hour 2, I had 1 litre and the still was producing at 55% ABV. At hour three, I was well into tails at 2 litre's with the still putting out around 10-15% ABV. So I stopped.

For the spirit run, I combined the stripping run with water to get to 30% ABV. I ended up with maybe 1.5 gallons for the spirit run. At 30 minutes I was producing 85% ABV. At 90 minutes, I had 800ml and the still was producing at 75% ABV. I ended collection after 3 hours. Again, it was time to stop collection and save anything else for a later run. Through the spirit run, the pot temp went from about 190F at start to 194F @ 90 minutes. Head temps were 170F and 180F respectively. When the pot hit around 205F after a couple hours, it was pretty clear I was at the end and everything after that would be collected for future runs.

I ended with about 1.4 litres @ 70% ABV. I cut it to 60% ABV with water, and it's sitting on one of those oak spirals to taste. This should yield about 3 750ml bottles. I pretty much plan for 1 good bottle per gallon of wash, so it's right about where it should be for me.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I have the 8 gallon electric mile hi dual purpose with the upgraded thermometer on top I'm wondering if I would gain anything from adding a one foot copper column extension and sight glass.it'd go copper extension(sulphites??) Sight glass(puke observations and infusions) then stock column.id still use copper scrubbers for packing
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Hey Durhommer I asked about a sight glass in this thread and got a generally positive response, so I went with it.
Cheapest I found was on Amazon. I like it because you can see when the first drips are coming,
and it's just an eye inside for the curious. I can now tell you that reflux --at least on my still-- predominantly runs down the walls
of the column rather than raining down the center.

I've got copper mesh and about 6' of copper pipe sawed up into pieces and standing in the boiler of my stainless steel still,
and also wondered about a foot long copper column extension, just because.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Fizzix I got the sight glass ptfe gaskets and tri clamps on order ...y u put the copper in boiler? Does the sulphites strip deal work that far down
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Durhommer wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:50 am ...y u put the copper in boiler? Does the sulphites strip deal work that far down
I think so. I was reading something about copper's "magic chemistry"
working at the boiler level.
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

Here is a good read on this.

The Impact of Copper in Different Parts of Malt
Whisky Pot Stills on New Make Spirit
Composition and Aroma
Barry Harrison*, Olivier Fagnen, Frances Jack and James Brosnan

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf ... .tb00450.x
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

So I could do like ole Fizzix and drop a few sticks of copper in my boiler....its not going to interfere with my heating element tho?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Durhommer wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:37 am So I could do like ole Fizzix and drop a few sticks of copper in my boiler....its not going to interfere with my heating element tho?
What kind of "sticks of copper" are you talking about? If it's a piece of copper pipe, cut it into fingernail size pieces and you shouldn't have any trouble pouring them into, or out of the boiler.

And remember, it is all about the surface area of copper in contact with the liquid (or vapors) that extract the sulfurs.

As for "interfering with your heating element", how would it do that? I don't think I'd "bury the element" with copper chips because that would reduce the contact between the wash and the heating element. But even then, copper chips would conduct heat from the element to the liquid. So you should be OK...unless it's not! You're the only one who can lay eyeballs on your boiler and heating element, so you've got to use your "hat rack" to decide.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Thanks man I figured I ought to cut the tubing up and I could put a strainer on the backset bucket to catch the copper ive got about 4 foot of 3/4 type m I will work on in the spare time which is nil right now lol I'm also turning my first worm style condenser into a wort chiller just gotta clean the silicone off it solder on a leg and shine it up