Keg Still Possible Comprimised Question

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Artofwar8719
Novice

Keg Still Possible Comprimised Question

Post by Artofwar8719 »

Hello Board,

I've been running since the beginning of the year with a small 3gal stock pot which is getting terribly old having to prep/heat/produce 10+x/bi-weekly. I've come across someone with a 1/2 keg (15.5 Gal) for 45$ that bought them from a distiller and used them for weights. The issue is they cleaned them with bleach so bacteria wouldn't grow and filled with water. The (I think) non issue is they removed the guts of the keg that pressurize the beer.

Question: Is it possible to clean these out of any bleach etc... Nothing else has been put into these besides beer n cleaned with bleach then filled with water.
DuckofDeath
Rumrunner

Re: Keg Still Possible Comprimised Question

Post by DuckofDeath »

Bleach would have eaten the stainless protection. Chlorine would have long evaporated. I would do the cleaning runs and I bet you will be good to go. You may want to re-stainless the steel with some star-san
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

Those kegs should be fine. The oxidized layer that makes stainless steel stainless is there. I personally would not be concerned. I just wouldn't make it a practice to clean my kegs with bleach. As long as the bleach is rinsed away (should be long gone) you're good to go.
Reverend Newer
Swill Maker

Post by Reverend Newer »

Never use bleach on stainless steel

use backset or oxalic acid

Rub some rhubarb on yer keg!
spiritually taxed circa 1791
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I'd say it depends how much bleach for how long.

Can you clean it out, yeah, no problem. Will it have corroded or pitted the keg is the real question. Of course you can get a flash light and take a peak inside, you can use an inspection mirror to see the top and sides. You could even do a pressure test. Overall it's probably fine. But going rate for a used keg in my area is $40-50, so I'd shop around if it looks suspect at all.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Where I live at the scrap yard they're 15$ for the 15.5 and 10 for the 7.75. I buy every one I come across.

Once I have them open I put the pressure washer in there and blast away, a little bleach for a short time would be fine, not sure about long time exposure tho.
Artofwar8719
Novice

Post by Artofwar8719 »

Phew... Picked up for 30$ basically. Paid him 15$ more for meeting me half way.

Right now running Blackbeards Rum out of getting 140proof on a traditional wyrm barrel setup w/o thumper. Would like higher but ill settle for it.

*Sips* Tastes the brown sugar
*Sips Again*
*Looses Count*

Crystal Clear. Thanks for yalls input I was a tad worried. And I can't find one for less then 75$ around here. Extremely high demand in corn country
Big Popa
Novice

Post by Big Popa »

Most people that sell kegs will let you buy one of the empties for the cost of deposit.

Gave $50 for empty 15 gal keg

Doesn't hurt to ask, i just started calling around till i found one that would
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Big Popa wrote:Most people that sell kegs will let you buy one of the empties for the cost of deposit.

Gave $50 for empty 15 gal keg

Doesn't hurt to ask, i just started calling around till i found one that would
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=24469
be water my friend
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Thanks cob, not everyone thinks like this :thumbup:

Anheuser-Busch keeps records of decommissioned kegs on record for an unknown (by me) time.

My friend Larry worked there (retired now) but told me that kegs are sent to the scrap by them or the local pubs they are at, for them it's the deposit amount but the keg can not be filled again by Anheuser-Busch.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Sellers do not make them the owner. Use your own conscience, if not in line with HD rules don't brag about it.
Guess the bleach question is done.