Alembic Copper Still for spirit run when making gin?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

fsdowie
Novice

Alembic Copper Still for spirit run when making gin?

Post by fsdowie »

Hello,

I have an 8 gallon column still that yields ~ 2 gallons @ 40 ABV after diluting (stripping run). Since my goal is to make gin leaving botanicals soaking for a week (preferably inside the still) , I'm planning to buy an Alembic Copper Still for my spirit run. Do you have any recommendations (size, vendors, etc)?

One area of concern is that some of the still vendors I checked offer 1.3 gallon and 5 gallon alembic still (nothing in between that could fit my stripping run). This means I would need two batches to fill up the still if I get the 5-gallon one. Do you foresee any risks of running the pot still half way full?

Thanks,

Fede.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Alembic Copper Still for spirit run when making gin?

Post by Saltbush Bill »

fsdowie wrote:Do you foresee any risks of running the pot still half way full?
When I make gin I use a T500 boiler wit a home made pot still head attached, I usually only do about 4 litres at a time, the boiler is less than 1/4 full, I have no problems with that.
fsdowie wrote: leaving botanicals soaking for a week (preferably inside the still) ,
Why do you need to leave them soaking that long, 24 hours seems to be long enough to me and works fine in my opinion.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

An Alembic is excellent for your purpose BUT..don never ever let it sit in the still for a week.
As the Alembic is made out of copper the stuff in your botanicals combined with the stuff in the spirit will cause the copper to turn green.
It can and will carry over in your spirit. Especially if the swan neck has turned green too.
You won't be happy with that 1,3 gal one. It's on the small side even for a small still for gin production. As a novice, you'll have a hard time doing good cuts on that tiny thing.
My smallest still for gin and other small batches is a 10 L stockpot: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64618
Of course, I need to leave some headspace too...so the pot can't be filled to the brim which leaves me with around 8 L max.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Danespirit wrote:As a novice, you'll have a hard time doing good cuts on that tiny thing.
If you use well made neutral to begin with you don't need to be making cuts, I really don't understand why anyone would make life difficult for themselves by doing it any other way.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Saltbush Bill wrote:
Danespirit wrote:As a novice, you'll have a hard time doing good cuts on that tiny thing.
If you use well made neutral to begin with you don't need to be making cuts...
This is true for making gins, especially when using the methods described in Odin’s EZ gin recipe. However, Danespirit is obviously referring to future use of the alembic for small batch, full-flavored spirits, ie - brandy, and the like, for which an alembic is a fabulous tool. Although a “specialty built” still is great for it’s intended purpose, the potential for its diverse usage should always be considered when planning. It adds value that way.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Saltbush Bill wrote:
If you use well made neutral to begin with you don't need to be making cuts, I really don't understand why anyone would make life difficult for themselves by doing it any other way.
Yes, true..but indeed I was thinking of using the Alembic as a pot still in general.
Whenever I make gin, I use well made neutral and my small setup with the stockpot I linked to in my post prior.
I'll give me about 6 or 7 bottles of product which will last for a decent amount of time.