2 curiosities

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

yupiteru
Novice

2 curiosities

Post by yupiteru »

2 curiosities
 my distillation is almost always the same, incredibly, everything seems to work well,
I put 21 liters of grape wine (12-14 ABV) in the 30 liter boiler,
the first 150-180 milliliters throw them directly into the drain,
the collection ends when the alcoholometer scores 90 ABV,
the distillate from 90 ABV to 80 ABV is collected separately and placed in the next distillation,
at 80 ABV I turn off the GLP and distillation ended,

I know that I can improve something about my detachment,
but the curiosities are these,
1) the first distillate that I throw,
can I use it instead of denatured alcohol? the pink one so to speak,
2) in a distillation (hearts) I can distil 1 liter of alcohol at maximum purity and then use it as a base to disinfect my skin wounds, when needed?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: 2 curiosities

Post by still_stirrin »

yupiteru wrote:1) the first distillate that I throw, can I use it instead of denatured alcohol? the pink one so to speak...
Yes, you can use it to “clean” what you would if using denatured alcohol. But I suggest diluting it to 40%ABV to use as a cleaning agent. Most store-bought denatured alcohol is around that (30% - 40%).
yupiteru wrote:2) in a distillation (hearts) I can distil 1 liter of alcohol at maximum purity and then use it as a base to disinfect my skin wounds, when needed?
Same answer as above...sure, use it to clean wounds. But again, I suggest diluting it to 40%ABV. It’s going to sting a little on open wounds...it is alcohol, afterall....just good drinking alcohol.

Perhaps you could use this (the diluted hearts) as anesthesia as well. :D
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

still_stirrin wrote:
yupiteru wrote:1) the first distillate that I throw, can I use it instead of denatured alcohol? the pink one so to speak...
Yes, you can use it to “clean” what you would if using denatured alcohol. But I suggest diluting it to 40%ABV to use as a cleaning agent. Most store-bought denatured alcohol is around that (30% - 40%).
That's interesting still_stirrin
Is that a USA thing ?

Here in Aus , all denatured alcohol has an ABV of 95%

It's so guaranteed I ues it to check my Alcohol meter top end Calibration
yupiteru
Novice

Post by yupiteru »

still_stirrin wrote:
yupiteru wrote:2) in a distillation (hearts) I can distil 1 liter of alcohol at maximum purity and then use it as a base to disinfect my skin wounds, when needed?
Same answer as above...sure, use it to clean wounds. But again, I suggest diluting it to 40%ABV. It’s going to sting a little on open wounds...it is alcohol, afterall....just good drinking alcohol.

Perhaps you could use this (the diluted hearts) as anesthesia as well. :D
ok so, from now on, I can stop buying pink alcohol from the supermarket,
and since I can use it,
 I can take even more at the beginning of the distillation,
  from 150-180 ml I will increase to 200-250 ml,
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Personally , I would use your foreshots ..the stuff you have been tipping down the drain for cleaning only ...and fire lighting :D .

If it was me I would not use it for dressing wounds . There are some not so nice things in there. again ...personally if I was to dress a would I would use the Hearts stuff only ...but Hey , I'm not a doctor :think:
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

I would be ok with using fores for an antiseptic if it was all I had. I use it for cleaning, firelighting, and it is very convenient for wiping the permanentmarker off my demijohns. I use permanent marker to denote the contents and fores takes it off fine.
yupiteru
Novice

Post by yupiteru »

Yummyrum wrote:Personally , I would use your foreshots ..the stuff you have been tipping down the drain for cleaning only ...and fire lighting :D .

If it was me I would not use it for dressing wounds . There are some not so nice things in there. again ...personally if I was to dress a would I would use the Hearts stuff only ...but Hey , I'm not a doctor :think:
of course, to disinfect your skin only hearts, with a liter will be enough for a long time, I can also make a double distillation of the hearts if necessary,
instead for other things "denatured alcohol" I need it enough
type wash pieces of metal dipped first in the nitro solvent, light a flame alcohol,
in some jobs, denatured alcohol is used a lot,
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Depends on how much you hurt yourself, 1 750ml bottle of rubbing alcohol lasts me a long time.

I use the fores and early heads to start fires and wipe sharpie off stuff. also cleans copper really good after you sand and solder, it gets a good amount of flux off of reachable parts. Still no reason not to do mandatory cleaning tho.
yupiteru
Novice

Post by yupiteru »

Shine0n wrote:Depends on how much you hurt yourself, 1 750ml bottle of rubbing alcohol lasts me a long time.

I use the fores and early heads to start fires and wipe sharpie off stuff. also cleans copper really good after you sand and solder, it gets a good amount of flux off of reachable parts. Still no reason not to do mandatory cleaning tho.
yes, maybe to disinfect the wounds is a little "out of place", but it is better to know how to do it, in case of real emergency it could be useful,
having free alcohol for cleaning is a lot of fun, however there are also other ways to use it
example: as antifreeze window washer for the car, (abv 35-40%),
LASTLY I collect about 250 milliliters at the beginning of the distillation
just to have a little more multi-purpose alcohol, then this alcohol can also be stored in plastic cans
I'm sure that one way to use it is always found
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

yupiteru wrote:2 curiosities
2) in a distillation (hearts) I can distil 1 liter of alcohol at maximum purity and then use it as a base to disinfect my skin wounds, when needed?
1) we have not a pink but a blue denatured alcohol of 80 to 90 %ABV. I use my foreshots and heads for the same purpose. Not for disinfecting wounds!

2) 21 l of 12-14 % and you get only 1 l of alcohol of maximum purity (94 % or so I guess). You miss a lot!
yupiteru
Novice

Post by yupiteru »

Kareltje wrote:
yupiteru wrote:2 curiosities
1) we have not a pink but a blue denatured alcohol of 80 to 90 %ABV. I use my foreshots and heads for the same purpose. Not for disinfecting wounds!

2) 21 l of 12-14 % and you get only 1 l of alcohol of maximum purity (94 % or so I guess). You miss a lot!
unfortunately my friend (as you may have guessed) my communication here on the forum, go through google translator,
you never have 100% certainty that what you wanted to say is correct,
however my boka distiller always behaves this way,
if in the boiler there are about 21 liters of the usual wine (12-14 ABV)
1/4 turn open needle valve, heat nearly 2000 watts,
the distillate (after the first 100 milliliters) starts to go out at 90 abv after a few minutes the alcoholometer sinks I believe 95 abv, it remains so until the end of the distillation,
 at the end of the distillation obviously the alcoholometer starts to rise and when it measures 90 abv I stop collecting,
then wait a few minutes until the alcoholometer marks 80 abv I turn off the glp and the last distillate add it to the next distillation,
this for three times,
at the fourth distillation I turn off the LPG when the alcoholometer scores 90 ABV I do not collect the last part,
all the distillation takes about two and a half hours (from switching on to switching off the LPG)
the consumption of LPG is about one kilogram
The collected alcohol is almost two and a half liters to more than> 90 abv
this is my standard distillation,

sometimes I make changes like closing or opening the valve a little more, but the situation gets worse, more lpg used or abv lower,
even increasing heat is a bad idea