In at the deep end :D Absinthe distillate colours

All about absinthe

Moderator: Site Moderator

stevetuk
Novice

In at the deep end :D Absinthe distillate colours

Post by stevetuk »

Just wondering if someone can put my mind at ease... Or the reverse...

I've distilled 5L of an absinthe recipe just to play around. The fractions got steadily more and more yellow in tinge. 500ml @85% was crystal clear. The next 500ml at 84% had a very very pale yellow tinge. From then on it got darker and darker to 50%. Is that normal because of the botanicals being used/oil content etc?

I didn't have any puking that I'm aware of, temp a consistent 80-90c, steady heat without too much power (took forever...). The still is also perfectly clean, which I guess I can back up with the first fractions being crystal clear. They'd all be yellow if the still wasn't clean, right?

Just wondering if it's normal, or I've ballsed it up...
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: In at the deep end :D Absinthe distillate colours

Post by NZChris »

It has happened to me once when using a short riser and a very full gin basket, but the flavor is fine and the coloring hides any carried over color. Save the spent coloring herbs for putting into the next steep.
stevetuk
Novice

Post by stevetuk »

Perfect, thanks for the reply. I was hoping that would be the case, that in effect I've sort of done a bit of the colouring stage already (accidentally). I've the hyssop and melissa to use as well. The cuts all taste/smell fine, glad to hear the tinge isn't a problem :) Thank you!
stevetuk
Novice

Post by stevetuk »

Hi again, one more question sorry!

I know that for steeping at stage two in making my absinthe, I need to add the colouring botanicals and raise the temp to a gentle 50c.
I was wondering whether using a slow cooker or a pressure cooker to do that might work? Or is that risky?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

For safety reasons I wouldn't recommend anything with a sealed lid. An SS saucepan would be safer.

My method uses 15% of the distillate and I heat it to over 70C. As soon as I'm happy with the temperature, the herbs go in and I take it off the heat and let it cool covered with a lid.
stevetuk
Novice

Post by stevetuk »

Fantastic, thanks for the tips: hadn't even thought to only heat a part of the distillate and to over 50c and let cool, clever! :)