storage of my brandy,

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

yupiteru
Novice

storage of my brandy,

Post by yupiteru »

storage of my brandy,
I have a 400-liter stainless steel drum with an air float and a lid that is placed on top of it,
 I wanted to use it to put my diluted distillate at 45-48 ABV
I have to keep this stem in the same room as the distiller,
I wanted to know if I'm going to meet some problems that a novice does not see, and especially if I risk my distillate or something else,
the distillate should not touch the inner tube
this type of stem is usually sold as a container for wine
Attachments
serbatoio-inox-vino-400-lt-galleggiante-ad-aria_279.jpg
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: storage of my brandy,

Post by greggn »

Why make things more complicated than necessary ? Use either new or used brandy/wine bottles. If you need to store large volumes then glass carboys or stainless steel fusti containers would be better than the wine vessel shown.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
yupiteru
Novice

Post by yupiteru »

greggn wrote:Why make things more complicated than necessary ? Use either new or used brandy/wine bottles. If you need to store large volumes then glass carboys or stainless steel fusti containers would be better than the wine vessel shown.
but for more suitable stainless steel containers what exactly do you mean ?,
keg beer?
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

First, tell us your real storage needs. Surely it's not 400 liters. If so, then this question would be more appropriate in the "Craft Distillers" section.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
yupiteru
Novice

Post by yupiteru »

greggn wrote:First, tell us your real storage needs. Surely it's not 400 liters. If so, then this question would be more appropriate in the "Craft Distillers" section.
sometimes I'm a little worried about the difficulty of making myself understood,
surely google translator (has his share of guilt)
I already have this stainless steel container of 400 liters (I do not have to go and buy it) I would be very comfortable using it for the storage of my distillate provided I'm sure I do not want to ruin / alter the product,
the internal lid of stainless steel, rests (floats) on the liquid (wine water oil)
then with a little compressed air the air chamber (which is positioned on the edge and aurorized for food use) swells up against the inner wall and should seal off from contact with the air,
the amount of liquid contained can vary from about 10 liters (or less) to almost 400 liters,
if it is a bad idea to store my brandy about 45 abv I would like to know the technical reason,
storing brandy in new French oak barrels should be the best but this is another topic ...
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

yupiteru wrote:
greggn wrote:First, tell us your real storage needs. Surely it's not 400 liters. If so, then this question would be more appropriate in the "Craft Distillers" section.
sometimes I'm a little worried about the difficulty of making myself understood,
I already have this stainless steel container of 400 liters (I do not have to go and buy it) I would be very comfortable using it for the storage of my distillate provided I'm sure I do not want to ruin / alter the product,
the internal lid of stainless steel, rests (floats) on the liquid (wine water oil)
then with a little compressed air the air chamber (which is positioned on the edge and aurorized for food use) swells up against the inner wall and should seal off from contact with the air,
the amount of liquid contained can vary from about 10 liters (or less) to almost 400 liters,
if it is a bad idea to store my brandy about 45 abv I would like to know the technical reason,
storing brandy in new French oak barrels should be the best but this is another topic ...
That's a big tank! I would be more concerned with the "food grade" rubber and plastic parts coming into contact with the alcohol.

Be safe
OVZ
yupiteru
Novice

Post by yupiteru »

Oldvine Zin wrote:
yupiteru wrote:
That's a big tank! I would be more concerned with the "food grade" rubber and plastic parts coming into contact with the alcohol.

Be safe
OVZ
I am amazed that these containers are little known,
here where I live, these are considered the maximum that technology offers today.
especially if they have the bottom welded (instead of crimped)
 (with relative seal inside the crimping)
there should be no contact between the tube and alcohol,
however you can always remove some content once the float has been blocked with compressed air, so the liquid level moves away a little from the lid
surely I will not put all my distillate in there,
 and maybe not even I have all this product to be distilled apart from the fact that with a domestic distiller with a 30 liter boiler (putting 20 liters at a time inside to distill)
I said to do important quantities it takes an eternity,
if you can use the tanks already that you have, it's an advantage,
 that's all
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

even cold alcohol gives off vapor.
be water my friend
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

yupiteru wrote: I am amazed that these containers are little known,
here where I live, these are considered the maximum that technology offers today.
Trust me, I've been in the wine industry for a little over 20 years and I do know what these tanks are and their limitations.
If you are planning to store high ethanol liquids in them I would advise not to. On the other hand they would be great for storing your yet to be distilled wash or low wines.

be safe
OVZ
yupiteru
Novice

Post by yupiteru »

Oldvine Zin wrote:
yupiteru wrote: I am amazed that these containers are little known,
Trust me, I've been in the wine industry for a little over 20 years and I do know what these tanks are and their limitations.
If you are planning to store high ethanol liquids in them I would advise not to. On the other hand they would be great for storing your yet to be distilled wash or low wines.

be safe
OVZ
ok, you spoke like a printed book.
no aging / storage of the brandy in the stainless steel barrel for wine,
I'll find another system, maybe glass bottles,

but I would like to know the technical reason why this stem is not recommended for the use of alcohol,

and maybe just for the polyieurethane inner tube?
or is there any other reason?
Fivey
Bootlegger

Post by Fivey »

yupiteru wrote: but I would like to know the technical reason why this stem vat is not recommended for the use of alcohol,

and maybe just for the polyieurethane inner tube?
or is there any other reason?
Because even ‘food grade’ synthetics behave unpredictably with high ABV alcohol. Manufacturing variations may play a part in this inconsistency. There are concerns about leaching of plastic components into ordinary foods, let alone high ABV alcohol. So it is a pretty big gamble for any amateur to claim an entire class of plastics ‘safe’ for our use. The only class of plastics there is general comfort with is PTFE.

In my lurking on here I have seen plenty of individuals arguing that it should be ok to use silicon seals and various other things, even putting up one paper or another supporting their arguments. But it seems to me that much of this desire to use plastics comes not from a yearning desire to have more plastics in our lives, than it is purely a matter of convenience. They would rather take the time to argue to others that it should be ok (in an effort to convince themselves?) instead of spending a little extra time or money to remove the concern entirely. The cheap commercial still they bought has silicon gaskets, and they don’t want to swap them out for PTFE ones. The local brew shop has silicon triclsmp seals but not PTFE ones, and they would have to order some on The Internet :esurprised: . Or the store that sells the hygienic SS tube had EPDM and FKM seals but not PTFE ones. They have a pressure-cooker they have already decided to use as a boiler but it has a rubber seal. The glass bottle they bought for storing low wines has a rubber or silicon stopper or seal. They already have a length of vinyl tubing and don’t see why they should have to spend money on copper for their product take-off. The old 400L wine vat they happen to already have has a plastic components and they would rather argue that it should be safe enough instead of (a) Modifying the vat to remove the plastic or swap the component with something else, or (b) changing their plans and storing brandy in glass demijohns as suggested by others and maybe using the vat for something else.

Personally, I’m going to leave the plastics for the beer-level alcohols.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

yupiteru my friend,
You asked a question, a few here gave you an answer that you didn't want to hear.

be safe and good luck
OVZ
yupiteru
Novice

Post by yupiteru »

ok they abandoned the use of the tank, because finding a ptfe tube at the moment is impossible,
I dilute everything to 45 ABV
I'll put it all in glass demijohns
maybe I'll put a protection around them,
finding myself with all the distilled spoil from rubber is a risk that I can not accept,

since I put the effort and the time myself
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Who told you that aging brandy at 45% is a good idea? It's not something I would do.
Fivey
Bootlegger

Post by Fivey »

yupiteru wrote:ok they abandoned the use of the tank, because finding a ptfe tube at the moment is impossible,
finding myself with all the distilled spoil from rubber is a risk that I can not accept,

Can you not simply strip off all the plastic and fill the gaps with something safe? If you are permanent repurposing the tank, weld up the holes.

I don’t understand what you mean about “finding yourself with all the distilled spoil from rubber” - I don’t think this has translated well. Are you agreeing with everyone here that the risk is unacceptable, so you will follow the advice you have been given? Or are you suggesting that if you follow the advice here you will be ruining your distillate with rubber from demijohn bungs? Because no one here said to use rubber bungs on the demijohns or carboys.
yupiteru
Novice

Post by yupiteru »

Fivey wrote:
yupiteru wrote:ok they abandoned the use of the tank, because finding a ptfe tube at the moment is impossible,

Can you not simply strip off all the plastic and fill the gaps with something safe? If you are permanent repurposing the tank, weld up the holes.

I don’t understand what you mean about “finding yourself with all the distilled spoil from rubber” - I don’t think this has translated well. Are you agreeing with everyone here that the risk is unacceptable, so you will follow the advice you have been given? Or are you suggesting that if you follow the advice here you will be ruining your distillate with rubber from demijohn bungs? Because no one here said to use rubber bungs on the demijohns or carboys.
I will not use my stainless steel tank (of wine)
I put the distillate in the carboys / glass bottles
yupiteru
Novice

Post by yupiteru »

NZChris wrote:Who told you that aging brandy at 45% is a good idea? It's not something I would do.
I will not use my stainless steel tank (of wine)
I already have 40 liters (liters not gallons) of distillate of my wine ABV greater than 90,

I will put it in glass containers bigger than those that contain it now,
what would you do in my place?
how much do you dilute?

I have another 20 liters already diluted about 45 ABV but these I need for me,
I have to drink them (I drink an average of 100-120 grams a day
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Because I use Cognac style distillation to maximize the flavor and yield, there is no need for me to dilute my brandy until I bottle some for drinking. My cut usually turns out to be around 66% to 70%, which is good for aging brandy.
yupiteru
Novice

Post by yupiteru »

randomly I discovered this video, this is almost certain that it uses my own stem (with inner tube)
use the stem to macerate aromatic herbs and brandy (from 12'30 "minute) :esurprised:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YHjkrENYhA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow