GNS oily?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

stevetuk
Novice

GNS oily?

Post by stevetuk »

I've diluted my GNS from 96 to 40% with local spring water, and there's an oily film on the top.

Any ideas what's causing this and how I can remove it? Has the water caused a precipitate?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: GNS oily?

Post by still_stirrin »

Was the jar clean?

Did you make, or buy the GNS? If made, what recipe did you use?

Most likely (shooting from the hip here), the film is the result of running a little bit of tails into the GNS. At higher proof, it stays emulsified, but as you temper down, the oils coagulate and float to the top. If it’s too unsightly, then add more high proof neutral. Raising the %ABV will put the oils back into solution.

Or, you could just mix the bottle strength liquor in a glass of coke and drink it. No pain....no gain.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
stevetuk
Novice

Post by stevetuk »

Its from our supplier (won't name names!). Containers definitely all clean.

Ok, that makes sense. It's not changed flavour or anything like that, it's just unsightly a bit. Trying to filter it to see if that improves things...
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Also, next time use distilled water or reverse osmosis filtered water to temper. Your spring water may have dissolved minerals that react with the alcohols to precipitate the oily film. Who knows what animal has pissed in the spring water stream before you dipped your bucket into it... :crazy:
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
stevetuk
Novice

Post by stevetuk »

Yeah I'll try distilled water with it to see if that makes any difference on the next batch. The spring water is from another commercial supplier who extract it (bet it's just tap water haha)
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

use RO from a carefully vetted supplier. it's one of the secrets to good mouthfeel and superior booze, imho.

spring water by definition has something in it...unless you have the exact profile you want... you are adulterating the booze. Distilled water has a drying effect and screws up mouthfeel of otherwise good hootch, again imho.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.