Sugar wash question

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Squarebox
Novice

Sugar wash question

Post by Squarebox »

I’m brand new to this so please bear with me I have a 16 gallon milk can setup with a 3 inch torpedo pro reflux I’m planning on running a 14% abv sugar wash in it using the reflux setup is this a good way to start out ???
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Sugar wash question

Post by StillerBoy »

A picture of your setup would help in answering some of your questions, as I have no idea what a "3" torpedo pro reflux looks like..

A stripped run first, enough stripped "low wine" to filled your boiler, followed by a spirit run to produce neutral..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Hi squarebox. So there are lots of unknowns here but let me offer some suggestions based on lots of assumptions.

Where to start: beginner research and a sacrificial run.
First, read all of Cranky’s thread for new folks to HD. There is a link to this thread in my signature. Read it all and follow the links and read them. Once you complete your first run, come back and read it again.

Next, you should do a cleaning run on your rig. New or used, you should make sure it’s clean. A recommended cleaning process is linked to from Cranky’s thread.

The first distillation of any wash (including your sugar wash) would typically be considered a Stripping Run. You would not typically have any packing in your reflux column for this first run. So you can use your reflux column, but you would run it like a pot still ( no packing, no reflux, fully open vapor path from boiler to collection, and controlling output speed with your power/heat.) What you collect from this first run is called Low Wines and they will likely be anywhere from 25% to 45% ABV.

Next, distill your Low Wines into High Wines. Put the low wines back into your boiler and do a second run called a Spirit Run. If your low wines are above 45%, dilute them down so the wash is not flammable. This second run can also be run like a pot still, or you can add your packing and apply reflux for a fractioning run. On the spirit run, you will need to pull foreshots first, then you will collect your product from the run in roughly 20+ equal sized jars for airing and cuts. The ABV of this run will be much higher because ABV out is directly proportional to ABV in.

Read Kiwi’s Guide on Cuts in detail to know how to properly process the 20+ jars you collected. You will air them for a few days after distillation before smelling and tasting your jars to make cuts (decide what to keep).

Hope this is helpful to get you rolling. Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Squarebox
Novice

Post by Squarebox »

Thanks I will definitely do the reading
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

And Squarebox, don't feel the need to chase high ABVs like 14%.
Higher ABV doesn't equal a better product. Just a word to the wise, consider 8% to 10%.
It's about quality over quantity, and those cowboys bragging about high percentages aren't doing themselves any favors.

I'm betting you have a "Mile Hi" still? Looks good if it is.
I've got a 2" stainless steel reflux and am very pleased with it.