Modifying a Chinese still

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Maggie Ann
Novice

Modifying a Chinese still

Post by Maggie Ann »

Opening up this post because it ended up being in the wrong section - a conversation began in “Welcome” under the post “Feeling my way”

Irishgnome was kind enough to point me to a source of PTFE Teflon sheet to replace the silicone gasket which was part of the original still setup. There are various thicknesses available. I’m presuming Irishgnome uses three layers of 1mm. Would one layer of 3mm work just as well do you think? It would probably be more durable

I just found that those sheets are also available in the UK where I am. Interesting that you have the same unit as me Irishgnome, I was beginning to wonder given the previous comments on this still whether I had bought something unusable and should start again. Do you get reasonable results from it? I was going to give it its first real run next week with a simple mash of 3lb brown sugar in an Imperial gallon of water. My objective, though, is to distill white wine which I regularly make. I have 5 gallons ready and will not take the usual next step of adding sulphite.

I have bent the exit tube from the boiler to point downwards ASAP from the boiler to try to get more flavour/ less reflux. I’ve also ordered a laser infrared thermometer so that I can monitor temperature at the bend. I have just put the still’s thermometer in our domestic oven to see how correct it is. I’ll leave it for 30 minutes or until I see my wife coming up the path, whichever is the sooner.......
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Re: Modifying a Chinese still

Post by Irishgnome »

Maggie Ann,

I do not use this still very often since results from my alembic better. I do use this one on occasion if I am running a smaller test batch. I have come to the conclusion that copper really makes a difference (a good amount of info on this topic in HD and elsewhere).

I removed the thumper and run this straight to the condenser. Messed with the thumper a few times and the thing was junk in my eyes, you may have better luck with yours. Depending on what you’re running, you may want to mess around with this and make it work.

I ordered the thinnest sheet, because I wanted to try this out on my alembic onion head. I’m sure the thicker stuff would work just as good, if not better than the thinner. Another option is the everlasting seal, take a look: viewtopic.php?t=24199 .
Whatever you use to replace the seals with, make sure to do a water run and use a mirror and /or flashlight to check for steam leaks :!:

* Please note that your first run is a waste run! This is simply for cleaning out all the nasty shit that could be inside. I ran water twice, then a ½ vinegar / ½ water run and then a run with cheap-o wine that I got from the local drug store. The spirit that I got from this run was discarded, trust me it’s not worth trying to keep!
After the initiation run, you should be good to go.

One other thing that I would recommend is checking your still for lead, 3-M makes a really convenient swab tester that gives you instant results. Some Chinese stills have been made with lead based solder, better to be on the safe side! Link: http://a.co/d/coVthT2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Get everything prepped and ready to go, safety first!
Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Good Luck!

Cheers,
- Irish
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
Maggie Ann
Novice

Post by Maggie Ann »

Thanks Irishgnome, I have a gallon of Elderberry wine which did not turn out right. I’ll sacrifice that for my cleaning run.

MA
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Maggie Ann wrote:I was going to give it its first real run next week with a simple mash of 3lb brown sugar in an Imperial gallon of water.
Unless you have used a yeast that you know can thrive with that much sugar, this is probably your best wash to sacrifice to a cleaning run.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I don't think there is much copper in that still, so start collecting copper to put in the boiler and vapor path. After many years of running a still with plenty of copper, I was taken aback when smelling the product from another distiller's all SS still, thinking it stunk like Satan's colon compared to what I expect to get out of mine.
Maggie Ann
Novice

Post by Maggie Ann »

Ha! Thanks NZ Chris, i’ve bought some thin copper mesh which I intend to hang below the boiler outlet, or in the thumper if I fit it.

Further down the track I’d mused about using copper mesh as a basket for botanicals.
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

I absolutely agree that copper is a better choice.
Never had something come out that smelled like the devils ass, but maybe I’ve just been lucky? :twisted:
I’ll continue to use my stainless with small test batches. One advantage to stainless is that it’s really easy to clean. If anything came out of it smelling like total ass, I would toss it and question what I did wrong. Not sure it’s the equipment NZ?!?
Maggie Ann, I’m sure you’ll be fine with the SS still for now. Get a few runs under your belt. You can always upgrade to copper in time.

Let us know what happens with your first spirit run.

Cheers
- Irish.
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Irishgnome wrote:If anything came out of it smelling like total ass, I would toss it and question what I did wrong. Not sure it’s the equipment NZ?!?
They were problems with the ferments that I'm sure would have been cleaned up with copper in the appropriate places. I didn't do side by sides, but I'm sure I've have had similar washes over the years without the funky end results.