Distilled alcohol makes me itching and causes ..

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Re: Distilled alcohol makes me itching and causes ..

Post by BlackStrap »

Hello Dorlioner26 I need to throw my 2 cents in here... First off replace all the silicon and black "rubber" seals, in your setup... Commercial distillers do not use them, and they could leach into what you are making. This forum practices and prides it's self in being safe. Second possibly it's your environment around where you are distilling, a damp basement or an enclosed area, are you heating with gas or propane? Do you have good ventilation? or possibly mold has grown in the rafters of the building distilling can but off heat which makes condensation, condensation leads to molds and bacteria not associated with what you are making.
Dorlioner26 you seem so quick to blame what your making as to the dilemma that you are finding your self itchy. Seriously...things like when going to your still did you come in contact with poison ivy, maybe eat shell fish or a handful of peanuts before distilling...I believe this is what all my fellow forum mates are trying to get at...You are not telling us everything....
Most questions can be answered here http://homedistiller.org/ and here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

The one who cuts the firewood gets twice the warmth
Dorlioner26
Novice

Post by Dorlioner26 »

NZ Chris and other guys who commented on my topic..thank you all..I tried to put a photo of my still but was given a warn about the seize of the pic.English is not my mother language so I might find it difficult to express what I mean correctly or choose the weong words,sorry for that..Filtering the mash..I meant segreageting it..not used any chemicals..and for the whole process I do not use any chemicals except I put anaceed oil exported from France..but hey,wait..I also tried to distill the.mash with the anaceed seeds..the same results..actually the product did not go white after adding water which is desirable so I had to add anaceed oil...Oh God..I may have been cursed..
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

If your still is relatively new, you may be cleaning out residual machining oils and/or flux that were left over from the manufacturing process and introducing that into your distillate.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

Dorlioner26, I make a bit of Rakija and Ouzo. I have use aniseed and have never had to use oil or extract. I macerate (soak) the seed in a grape neutral low wine (single run) at 40%. I leave soak for one week, agitating twice a day. I then filter and dilute (water down) to 35%. I place the seeds in an all stainless steel basket and place this in my still, in the vapor path.
I get an 83% alcohol from this. After watering down with half water / half ouzo, I get a very nice white opal color.
What is your process? Does commercial ouzo / Raki make your skin itch?
Rub the aniseed oil on your skin and see what happens.
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
Dorlioner26
Novice

Post by Dorlioner26 »

Irishgnome sorry for the late reply..It is good to know there are other people around the world who like rakı or spirits alike..To the most experienced distillers surprise,commercial ouzo or rakı do not have side effects like mine..Meantime,I tried some homemade rakı and vodka made by other people and they did almost same effects on me..due to the crazy tax on alcoholic beverages here,we can not buy spirits easily from the markets..Where o earth is the VAT is 5 times bigger than its factory sale price?It is insane..anyway thats another point but the problem is still going on friends..I have been searching about it..One useful information I found so far is this..Here in Turkey and also in Greece commercial Ouzo and rakı is distilled above 90 ABV..We are home distillers and do not want to loose tbe odour of the mash durung distillation and usually our average ABV is below 90.Could this be a reason for me to itch?The higher ABV,the cleaner ethanol?
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

Ok, Dorlioner, I'm going to put in my 10 cents worth here. By profession I'm a medical herbalist if that gives any weight to my words at all. I deal with clients that sometimes, like you, suffer from allergies of uncertain origin. Normally I have full protocols to offer such people but I'm not going to hand out detailed advice here. One thing I always tell clients is to use process of elimination to isolate the allergen. If you know what that is then the problem can be solved without additional action. The other members here have actually given you good advise. Clearly you aren't allergic to commercial spirits as you stated so it's something in your still. Try wearing a bit of copper against your flesh, try wearing one of the gaskets on your rig against your flesh etc. Etc. While you're at it please remove the rubber and plastics from your rig, it leaches xenoestrogens which could ultimately lead to hypothyroidism, cancer or something equally unpleasant. The only synthetics identified as safe at this point are PTFE and silicone. Silicone has been identified as leaching some into ethanol but it's not clear that it's harmful....yet. listen to what people are saying to you here, it's common sense. Getting frustrated makes it hard to do what's rational. You want to make liquor? Listen to the words the wise are telling you here, they're right.
SOLVE ET COAGULA, ET HABEBIS MAGISTERIUM
Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copperhead road »

This thread is certainly interesting but also a bit radioactive, I started getting itchy just reading all the input. :crazy:

Bit like when the bloke at work tells the boys in the crib huts he’s got bedbugs in his room, well everyone starts scratching lol

Seriously but I have a professionally built copper still and use the proper gaskets supplied by the still builder, no one ever gets itchy drinking my whiskey but they sure as shit get itchy for another 2 fingers on ice! :ewink:
Never mistake kindness for weakness....
moony
Novice

Post by moony »

I read you are using apricots Dorlioner26 maybe that could be an issue because you can make poisons from apricot kernels i think (just a thought) did you do a sugar wash distil ? that is the most neutral type and should show up any allergies caused by any fruits you use or if it's the alcohol you make.
Dorlioner26
Novice

Post by Dorlioner26 »

Unsolved problem still exists..I also distilled fermented sugar..more or less it did the same on me..A lot of people here buying distilled ethanol usually imported from Russia or Bulgaria and by adding some flaovours like anaseed oil or whisky kits they drink their ready in five minutes spirits..I was against it but changed my mind and gave a try.What would I loose anyway?I wasn't able to drink my distilled ethanol anyway..These products are distilled from grains or sugar canes.I purchased grain based and tried.The same awfull result.It is a 96ABV ethanol and with a friend's advice I distilled it since it has some small amounts foreshots and tails..The result?the same..itching and sleepless nights..What the heck was going on?I dunno really..It seems hopeless..
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Did you try it before you re-distilled it?
AlZilla
Novice

Post by AlZilla »

I just re-read through here. If I'm understanding correctly, your own product makes you itch, other people's product makes you itch and commercially made product makes you itch. You've tried both grain and sugar based products and seen no difference.

I think you're reacting to the ethanol.
Dorlioner26
Novice

Post by Dorlioner26 »

AlZilla bottled commercial spirits do not make any side effects but this ethanol is sold on 5 lt galloons amd it is 96ABV pure ethanol.Due to the crazy taxation on beverages here,more people buy it and by adding some flouvurs they prepare rakı(ouzo)or whisky like spirits.I feel discomforted when I tried this.It also makes me itch like when I drink the product I distilled.My conclusion is ..although tried to seperate foreshots and tails by making a volume calculation,(I only got %60 of the total amount ),wasn'it enough?Some say the bottled spirits have small amount of foreshots and tails..why don't tjey make such effects then?
hefezelle
Novice

Post by hefezelle »

You could distill some water and drink that, to see whether your itchiness comes from chemicals leaching out of your still. Make sure you have a healthy diet with enough vegetables though, since distilled water is deficient in minerals and will extract them from your body. Provided that you eat well, that should not be a problem. Also be aware that if you handle your distilled water just fine, the still could leach the chemicals only when charged with alcohol. But the experiment will narrow the search for the cause.

You could do a blind test when comparing the effects of store-bought vs your own alcohol, in order to rule out psychological effects.

If you re-distill store-bought alcohol, does the product make you itchy?
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
I am writing the Tried And True Recipe Book pdf and appreciate critique!
Dorlioner26
Novice

Post by Dorlioner26 »

hefezelle your suggestion is very interesting and worth to try..When thinking of the process I followed,I remembered not to collect all the ethanol I should have in the first distillation contrary to the usual advice..I used to make the seperation in the 2. or 3.distillation..Could it cause a failure on seperating foreshots and tails correctly?
paddy1000111
Novice

Post by paddy1000111 »

Do what hefezelle says and redistill store bought alcohol. If you know that you don't get a rash from the commercial alcohol then put that through your still (water it down to 30% ish with tap water) and see if that gives you a rash. If it does then its the still. If not then it's the wash
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Keep your epi-pen handy.... :esurprised:
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Dorlioner26 wrote:AlZilla bottled commercial spirits do not make any side effects but this ethanol is sold on 5 lt galloons amd it is 96ABV pure ethanol.Due to the crazy taxation on beverages here,more people buy it and by adding some flouvurs they prepare rakı(ouzo)or whisky like spirits.I feel discomforted when I tried this.It also makes me itch like when I drink the product I distilled.
From that, I understand that you got the same symptoms from the commercial 96% as you do from your still.

How did you drink it?

What abv did you dilute it to?

How much did you drink?

What else went into the glass? Water, ice, mixers?
AlZilla
Novice

Post by AlZilla »

It seems like there's some distinction between the 96% ABV product OP is talking about vs "store bought" commercial product.
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

Dorlioner26 wrote:AlZilla bottled commercial spirits do not make any side effects but this ethanol is sold on 5 lt galloons amd it is 96ABV pure ethanol.Due to the crazy taxation on beverages here,more people buy it and by adding some flouvurs they prepare rakı(ouzo)or whisky like spirits.I feel discomforted when I tried this.It also makes me itch like when I drink the product I distilled.My conclusion is ..although tried to seperate foreshots and tails by making a volume calculation,(I only got %60 of the total amount ),wasn'it enough?Some say the bottled spirits have small amount of foreshots and tails..why don't tjey make such effects then?
Wait, so is it only raki that makes you itch? Is it just the products that have had flavors added post distillation? Your statement here suggests that it's only the liquor with the flavors added. If that's the case you're likely allergic to the additives or essences being used for flavoring.
Dorlioner26
Novice

Post by Dorlioner26 »

Ok,let me clear it..Bottled commercial spirits,Rakı,Uzo,Whisky,wine,beer...they do not make any side effects like itching etc..
I started distilling 2 and a half years ago.I usually prepare mash from fruit and mostly dried grapes..I also tried appricot ,fresh grapes,and sugar..
To make rakı,I both used anaseed itself and oil..The product made me itch..I decided to try ethanol of 96ABV sold in 5 lts in plastic galloons.Many people buy them nowadays..They made me itch too..This was the most surprising point for the skilled distillers I know because they think 96ABV alcohol is the purest alcohol on the planet..and plus I distilled ot too and sepetated heads and tails..I have no health issues with my pakreas or liver..The blood test is normal..Last night I drank 4 glass of Raki I bought from the market and no itching..except a terrible headache in the morning as usual.
Some friends also send their products to me to try and unfortunately they did the same unpleasent effects..
I read a book of How is raki made?I realized that tbe distiller of the factory using is something like a spaceship for us..It is impossible for a home distiller to make such distiller..
The taste of my rakı great..I really miss drinking it but I can not drink..
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

So maybe it does have something to do with plastics. You say the spirits from the plastic jug makes you itch, you have plastics in your still and it's product makes you itch, products made on other local stills makes you itch and those stills might have plastics in them as well. While it's possible that heads or tails in the product could be behind it though it strikes me as unlikely because:
A: the 96% you get in the plastic jugs probably has little, if any heads or tails.
B: commercial made spirits almost always have a liberal amount of heads and tails in them for flavor. You say commercial spirits don't make you itch so it couldn't be the feints in it.
Plastics or synthetics in the still or in the jugs it's stored in truly seems likely. The only other thing I could think it would be is the ingredients in the ferment itself. The type of yeast, the fruit, nutrients or something else. Plastics do leach into high proof ethanol especially if it's hot. Take any plastic parts out of your still.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Perhaps a medical doctor can help with this (obvious) allergy.

Let's not play "what if" with this member's health (and life) by speculating it could be this or that. This is a real health concern for the OP and as such, it should be treated as critical. It could end up being fatal. When the body says, "hey, pay attention to me"....you better.

See a doctor, not a bunch of hypnotists (us here on the hobbiest's site)....
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Dorlioner26
Novice

Post by Dorlioner26 »

Still_stirrin thanks for yor interest but I do not have an intention like making someone or some people responsible about possible future happenings to me..And yes I did it.I drank a whole glass of distilled water today and waiting to see what's to happen..The taste of the water was not pleasent at all..I will lwt you all know about tje results if I survive:-)))
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

Dorlioner26 wrote:Still_stirrin thanks for yor interest but I do not have an intention like making someone or some people responsible about possible future happenings to me..And yes I did it.I drank a whole glass of distilled water today and waiting to see what's to happen..The taste of the water was not pleasent at all..I will lwt you all know about tje results if I survive:-)))
The water tastes unpleasant? That says a lot right there, dirty rig or something is wrong with the innards. Distilled water shouldn't taste like much of anything
Sharks_n_danger
Novice

Post by Sharks_n_danger »

He could just mean that he doesn’t like the taste of the distilled water. Growing up with hard water sources I can relate and am not a fan of the taste of water without minerals in it.
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

Good point lol. Clean spring/well water does have a nice taste.
Fruit Squeezer
Bootlegger

Post by Fruit Squeezer »

So much could be going on here.
Do you get high blood preasure, elevated heart rate, or red patches? Could be "Asian Blush".
A reaction most commonly found in Asians and Native Americans.

Are your solder joints lead free solder?
You mentioned you pack the column with wire...
Some wire is coated with lead.

Many fruit seeds contain arsenic.
Are you fermenting on the fruit? If so, some say it can carry over and concentrate in the still.

You never answered what %ABV you are drinking it at.
Ethanol is poisonous. You should never drink above 50%
(Idealy 40% or lower).
Dorlioner26
Novice

Post by Dorlioner26 »

Yeah,the city I live in,people drink one of the most tasteful spring water of the country called "Kalabak".off course the distilled of it was a bit far different than the original taste of it.Ahh,I am not a rocket scientist and really don't know every tiny details of the distiller or the materials I am using in it.I bought it from someone who is still selling spree and hundreds of people are using it with no problem I have heard..By the way,I have heard someone like me living somewhere in the country..A biologist distiller.friwnd of mine tald me about him..He is the same like me who starts itching after a few hours after deinking home distilled ethanol..sorey if I write bull shit but really living a nervous breakdown here..there are liters of ethanil at home and I am scared to drink it but there are people whom I gave free and they thankwd me everyday..I usually dilute the ethanol down to 50ABV ..but what about rom ot absynth?I tried them with no such effects..Its been almost 8 hours since I tried the distilled water but no..I am not well and now trying a Korean spirit my brother took from there..Maybe I am.one of those slaves created to pay taxes for the.***ing system prevail..
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

Could you post a photo of your still?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Dorlioner26 wrote:I usually dilute the ethanol down to 50ABV ..but what about rom ot absynth?I tried them with no such effects.
Just because you have access to high proof doesn't mean you should drink it at high proof. 50% abv is at the high end of safe, for some people probably too high. I don't bottle many products above 40%, my Ouzo is 45%. My Absinthes are bottled at 72% and over, but I would never suck it out of the bottle like a soccer hooligan or let anyone else abuse it, always serving it traditionally with more than enough iced water to create a good louche.
Dorlioner26 wrote:Its been almost 8 hours since I tried the distilled water but no..I am not well and now trying a Korean spirit my brother took from there..Maybe I am.one of those slaves created to pay taxes for the.***ing system prevail..
If you are not well after drinking distilled water out of your still, I think it's most likely that your problem is related to at least one of the materials used in it's construction and that you either have to replace that component, buy or build a better still, or find another hobby.