Fizzing & milky alcohol

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

stevetuk
Novice

Fizzing & milky alcohol

Post by stevetuk »

I had a mix of 96% GNS and distilled water (I learnt my lesson from using spring water previously...) which was clear, as usual. I added some juniper to mascerate overnight - for the first time ever, it fizzed when I added the ingredients and has since turned completely milky.

I wondered if anyone has any ideas what might have happened and how to fix it?

For info, I haven't yet distilled anything.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Fizzing & milky alcohol

Post by still_stirrin »

You’ve got some exceptionally “juicy” juniper.

The alcohol dissolved the oils in the berries and the suspension turned milky (called, “louche”). It is not surprising at all, infact it represents a big flavor of the gin...juniper oils.

To reduce the louche, simply “titrate” it with GNS at full strength, that is, add a little GNS back (drop by drop) until the louche reduces or disappears.

But since this is just your maceration (before distilling), don’t worry about the louche. The spirit will come out of the still clear, although the resultant slop in the boiler after distilling will be all kinds of murky (and smelly). Don’t worry yourself...it’ll turn out fine.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
stevetuk
Novice

Re: Fizzing & milky alcohol

Post by stevetuk »

Phew! Ok, that's good to hear. I was panicking because that's never happened before. I knew it wasn't the base alcohol or water because I have another two batches on macerating just fine without that happening. I might have over squished the juniper...

I'll distill it and hopefully that'll clear it all away.

Thanks for the reassurances :)