UJSM Grains - Sanity Check Question

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

EternalAmateur
Novice

UJSM Grains - Sanity Check Question

Post by EternalAmateur »

Hello!

On the eternal hunt for the cleanest neutral wash recipe. Tried BW & Kale - both results are slightly different but great. Now have a version of UJSM on the go - thanks to Saltbush Bill for pointing me in this direction. Should be ready to run in a week or so and compare.

Anyway ... the question is .. I am using organic wheat grain. In a couple of articles I've read and the video below, the suggestion is, after the first ferment, to strip out the 'spent' grains and replace them to get to a true sour mash in subsequent runs. But, is this to carry a flavour through to the final product? Makes sense if I'm making a whiskey etc. but if I just want a clean neutral, should I just use new oats or corn on each run?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssdTGFJXJeo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

As seems to be the case a lot with this pastime, I am understating what to do, just not why to do it!

Many Thanks
..explain it as if I'm an idiot and I'll Google it to understand what you meant..
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: UJSM Grains - Sanity Check Question

Post by Expat »

I would have thought that the more that you add to a wash the further you move away from neutral. Grains contain a fair amount of oils and protein which will present in the distillate and may or may not be removable by good process. So why include them? If it's just for their nutrient value, it might be better to stick with something simple.

IMO the cleanest neutral wash will be the result with the smallest flavor profile while having the best conditions for the yeast colony (nutrients, temperature, PH, pressure, etc). Probably a sugar wash.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by StillerBoy »

EternalAmateur wrote:fter the first ferment, to strip out the 'spent' grains and replace them to get to a true sour mash in subsequent runs. But, is this to carry a flavour through to the final product? Makes sense if I'm making a whiskey etc. but if I just want a clean neutral, should I just use new oats or corn on each run?
My take, and this just me, but others may see it differently..

When the first wash of UJ is made, the ph level is somewhat of a neutral level.. on the second wash, by adding backset, which is very acidic, you are making a wash which is much more acidic than the first one.. so by running the low wine of the first run with the second, you are carrying across that acidic base..

If you are wanting to made a somewhat neutral, with some flavor, then I would not re-run the low wiine again..

As for me, I change the grain bed (corn) every third or fourth wash.. and I always remove about third of the grain bed after each forments.. and for an even stronger flavour, start with a new grain bed every time..

If you are looking for a clean neutral, make a plain sugar wash, clear it well, and only stripped down to an overall of 50%.. then run it for a 95%..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Rad’s All Bran recipe is a very neutral wash. The bran flakes are nutrients for a healthy ferment, that is, it doesn’t contribute much to the flavors from the ferment or off still.

The all bran finishes quickly, yet cleanly. Use baker’s yeast and it will give you a great basis for your reflux stillhead with which you’ll be able to pull a nice neutral. Also, you can strip it to low wines with a potstill to prepare it for the spirit run through the reflux column.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
EternalAmateur
Novice

Post by EternalAmateur »

That helps a lot - much appreciated.

Interesting to get the understanding of what the ph's are doing. Absolutely agree about the sugar wash route and the next recipe I'll try is the All Bran.

Onward and upward ... thank you for taking the time!
..explain it as if I'm an idiot and I'll Google it to understand what you meant..
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you choose a wash that complements the product you want to make, you don't have to drive yourself nuts trying to turn it into 'neutral'.