Foreshots added to the feints run?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

HelmetHeid
Novice

Foreshots added to the feints run?

Post by HelmetHeid »

Hey,

I'm doing a fairly big spirit run of whisky just now, and should have enough feints from this to do a run in my smaller still.

Should I put eveything into my feints run - foreshots, heads and tails, or should I definitely dump the foreshots and not add them to the feints run?

If I do dump the foreshots, presumably I still need to makes a foreshot cut on the feints run - but I'm not sure how much that would be. I guess it would be quite small?

And if I don't dump the foreshots, and run them in the feints run, then presumably I just calculate the foreshot cut based on the volume of my original wash. So that's pretty easy to work out.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Re: Foreshots added to the feints run?

Post by OtisT »

My opinion: Once you pull foreshots, NEVER put them back into anything. If you are making something that you want really clean, pull foreshots when you strip and on the spirit run.

The amount of foreshots iS different recipe to recipe, and even within the same recipe. Using multiple batches of feints in one charge makes guessing the amount you will have even harder to tell.

The best way to do it, in my opinion, is to pull foreshots very slowly (low power, direct from boiler and not through a thumper) and use your nose. You can check your progress frequently if you wish. If you think you are past foreshots, put a fresh jar under the output, collect just a little, and give it a whiff. Foreshots have a very unique smell when isolated, and if you are separating your foreshots well, it’s easy to tell when you are past them. Once you smell that smell, you’ll never forget it.

If you run fast, like many do, it is harder to tell when you are past foreshots because they are mixed with your heads.

I wish you good fortune in the cuts to come

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

OtisT wrote:My opinion: Once you pull foreshots, NEVER put them back into anything. If you are making something that you want really clean, pull foreshots when you strip and on the spirit run.

The amount of foreshots IS different recipe to recipe, and even within the same recipe. <— as well as “tool to tool”. A potstill will have different fores than a reflux column. And different modes of reflux management affects the fores as well. (still_stirrin’) Using multiple batches of feints in one charge makes guessing the amount you will have even harder to tell.

The best way to do it, in my opinion, is to pull foreshots very slowly (low power, direct from boiler and not through a thumper) and use your nose. You can check your progress frequently if you wish. If you think you are past foreshots, put a fresh jar under the output, collect just a little, and give it a whiff. Foreshots have a very unique smell when isolated <— solventy, like acetone, paint thinner, and fingernail polish remover, and if you are separating your foreshots well, it’s easy to tell when you are past them. Once you smell that smell, you’ll never forget it. <— dip the tip of your finger into it and touch it to your tongue...you’ll know exactly when it’s BAD or good.

If you run fast, like many do, it is harder to tell when you are past foreshots because they are mixed with your heads.
HH, I totally agree with Otis on this one.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

I agree with both you guys. Throw the foreshots out. Finger nail polish remover isn't good to drink. No sense in saving it and having to distill it again in your spirit run.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

No need to rerefine fingernail polish remover . It will take off polish on the first distilling .
Pull fores on strip and spirit runs .
Greed will produce a shitty product . That's not our goal .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

AGree with everything said.

And on a feints run, you'll end up, after cuts, with more feints. I usually toss a larger than usual portion of early heads, assuming otherwise over time this will continue to build up in feints collection. No worries with tails, as you always leave some behind in the pot.
HelmetHeid
Novice

Post by HelmetHeid »

Pretty unanimous then. Thanks - I dumped the foreshots and won't run them with the feints
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

I personally wouldn't runs heads in an all feints run either, or add them to a sequential run, especially with a pot still, they tend to build up and will smear into the hearts. I've considered feints as tails only.
If I were to do anything with them, it would be to put them in a column for a neutral where they can really be compressed to squeeze out anything good, then discarded.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

HelmetHeid wrote:Pretty unanimous then. Thanks - I dumped the foreshots and won't run them with the feints
I never chuck out fores, I'm saving it to run as sac run on my new builds.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd