What type of fermenter do you use?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

raptor402
Novice

Re: What type of fermenter do you use?

Post by raptor402 »

yes, most def. the gray colored food grade. I do ten gallon mashes. I put 8.5 gallons room temp/garage water on my corn. I use 1.5 scalding backset with sugar melted in. 14 lbs sugar to be exact. stir stir stir......put my aquarium heater in it and put the lid on. it never burns my yeast....temp never rises that much to harm anything..
raptor402
Novice

Post by raptor402 »

Truckinbutch wrote:Worked myself up to a 15.5 keg pot/ 15.5 thumper .
32gallon Brute nested in a 44 gallon Brute mash container . Line the 32 with a clear trash bag and stretch another over the top and punch a couple or three pencil lead size holes to vent co2 . Fill space between inner can and outer with water and insert aquarium heater in the water to keep the yeast happy .
Yields me 12.5 gallons of clear for the boiler and 12,5 murky shit for the thumper . That's the strip run that gets me 2.5 -3.5 gallons for a spirit run .
Truckinbutch,,,,,,,you have me thinking about your fermenter...I just been placing my aquarium 50 watt heater inside my 30 gallon brute for years now. That sounds like a better idea. To place it in another container. That would keep it cleaner. Less mess. Probably healthier too. My chords kinda faded a little from its use...lt sits on the grain.
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hpby98 »

A PID with a bucket heater will handle a 55 gallon barrel just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Premie ... B01MG84Y38" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01486LZ50/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Will easily keep it 95°F which makes red star yeast happy
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

raptor402 wrote:
32gallon Brute nested in a 44 gallon Brute mash container . Line the 32 with a clear trash bag and stretch another over the top and punch a couple or three pencil lead size holes to vent co2 . Fill space between inner can and outer with water and insert aquarium heater in the water to keep the yeast happy .
Yields me 12.5 gallons of clear for the boiler and 12,5 murky shit for the thumper . That's the strip run that gets me 2.5 -3.5 gallons for a spirit run .
Truckinbutch,,,,,,,you have me thinking about your fermenter...I just been placing my aquarium 50 watt heater inside my 30 gallon brute for years now. That sounds like a better idea. To place it in another container. That would keep it cleaner. Less mess. Probably healthier too. My chords kinda faded a little from its use...lt sits on the grain.
Heaters last longer and no crusted mash on the heater . Wire the handles of the two cans together to keep the inner from popping out .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
raptor402
Novice

Post by raptor402 »

Truckinbutch,,,,,,im gonna be doing this,,,,im getting ready to shut down my continuous fermentation unfortunately so I can do some organizing in my garage. Im gonna be doing this......Great idea,,thank you,,,,
raptor 402
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

I use 220 L olive barrels and 32 gallon Brute cans. I've also got 15 gallon barrels around too, those are rarely used anymore.
pidass
Novice

Post by pidass »

Interesting, need to simplify my setup (65g pickle barrel with custom brew bag). Do you use gas or electric for cooking? Looking at the spike brewing 30g BOP but I use electric so worried about scorching.
Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

Post by Beerbrewer »

25ltr plastic homebrew buckets, I have two at the moment and have lent the third one to my Dad for making some wine, going to get started again as the weather is getting a bit nicer here in the UK, I have a 25ltr still so it is sufficient for me.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Mostly glass carboys. Sometimes a Brute trash can.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I pour boiling water in my 20g brutes and wrap them in reflectix and a couple bungees. They’ll hold the heat for days. Do be Be careful if you use a mud-mixer on a drill. One of my brutes got a good whack from the mixer blade and there was a tiny hole. I didn’t notice it till i found a small puddle of wine under it after a two week ferment. No big deal and very small leak but if i were to fill that one with boiling water the hole might just start opening up. I just replaced the can and am more careful with the mixer now and filling with 12 gallons of boiling water for mash-in is fine. Used for many ferments.

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

I use a variety of 7 gallon and 6 gallon buckets and one 35 gallon food safe brute

All the smaller ones are bsg brand
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

I used to use Brutes, that was before I got this
fermentor.JPG
70ish gal capacity.
now the brutes are for grain storage

OVZ