got scared and ran away

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

deluxe
Site Donor
Site Donor

got scared and ran away

Post by deluxe »

Was recently planning to do my first personal/hobby run of ‘shine. Uncle Jesse’s recipe. Was going to do it in my garage, starting with about 10gal of wash. Discreet. Don’t tell, don’t sell. And then I started to dwell on the possibility of getting busted, and potentially having a felony on my record. Still very drawn to this, though. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Last edited by deluxe on Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: got scared and ran away

Post by StillerBoy »

deluxe wrote:And then I started to dwell on the possibility of getting busted, and potentially having a felony on my record. Still very drawn to this, though. Any thoughts?
If your predominating thoughts are as you stated, those of the fear of being busted and having a record, then stay away from the hobby, as by entertaining those thoughts in your mind, those thoughts over time will affect your health, and that is not good..

You can still research the hobby, but don't attempt it until you have master the thoughts of fear that consume you..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
deluxe
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by deluxe »

StillerBoy wrote:
deluxe wrote:And then I started to dwell on the possibility of getting busted, and potentially having a felony on my record. Still very drawn to this, though. Any thoughts?
If your predominating thoughts are as you stated, those of the fear of being busted and having a record, then stay away from the hobby, as by entertaining those thoughts in your mind, those thoughts over time will affect your health, and that is not good..

You can still research the hobby, but don't attempt it until you have master the thoughts of fear that consume you..

Mars
Damn. That’s good advice. I already have other thoughts affecting my health I think.
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

In the meantime, why not work on learning to brew something legal, beer/wine, etc. Many of the skills are transferable.
If I didn't learn the hard way, I wouldn't learn at all!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I live on a dead end street with my outbuilding facing my house so the garage door does not open to the street. About half way through a run the sheriff shows up at my neighbors 2 doors down on a domestic issue. It was tough to decide on continuing the run or shutting down. I kept the run going but spent most of the time looking out toward the neighbors. What I had going for me was I run an electric still so if needed I could have closed the garage door.
deluxe
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by deluxe »

Windswept wrote:In the meantime, why not work on learning to brew something legal, beer/wine, etc. Many of the skills are transferable.
more good advice. Thank you.
deluxe
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by deluxe »

I guess at this point I’m kind of ‘teetering’. Really want to do it and will be smart and secretive about it ... just don’t want to end up with a criminal record of any kind. I’m not a ‘worry wart’ or anything ... it’s just that I think things through before I do them most of the time. Hope everyone’s having a nice weekend.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Be at peace, for all love.
If you don't sell and don't tell (as hard as pride of product makes it) you have naught ta fear. Law enforcement isn't lookin for you. If you distill for home use, you ain't drawin attention and they have better things to do. You may be caught out if they come to your place on other business and spot it, but that's about it.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

deluxe wrote:I guess at this point I’m kind of ‘teetering’. Really want to do it and will be smart and secretive about it ...
I started out in this hobby feeling uneasy every time I ran my still. I knew this was something I would have to overcome and several strip/spirit runs into it, still aware of the risks, I lost the nervous edge. I found out my desire to learn and become proficient at this outweighed any fear I had and it became easy to live with.

Practice discretion and safety as you distill covertly, stay close to your notes, and keep questioning what/how much you know. The rewards of your efforts will be plenty to remind you you got this.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I built mine when fines for owning a still were hefty and stills were confiscated. I designed it so that I could set it up and run three strips and a spirit run in a weekend, then dismantle it and spread the components around the property. Two weekends a year made enough that I wouldn't run out.'

Ten years later distilling was made legal and I can leave it set up. :thumbup:
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Use to be everyone wanted to see likker run one time. Most of em got happy feet.
They was up herein thangs and seein thangs and pacein.
Ole boys had one one boy swim a creek in pitch black.
Wont a whole lot of church talk from the other side .

That ain't to say with the air stirin you ain't a wee bit
skitish.

So I'm tole
deluxe
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by deluxe »

Even more good words by you folks. I’m slowly being drawn back in. Thanks much!
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

deluxe wrote:

..............Discreet. Don’t tell, don’t sell.

And then I started to dwell on the possibility of getting busted, and potentially having a felony on my record. ...........

........... Any thoughts? Thanks.
I think you're quite young - and maybe a little over exposed to the culture of co-operation and political correctness ?

To the world where Donald Trump is wrong, Evil and a really BAD man ? Where everyone's opinions and "Rigts" are sacrosanct - except those of the W.A.S.P. Male - which are simply wrong by definition ?

Maybe your dad never took you hunting, fishing or camping ?

If I am close to correct, NONE of that is YOUR fault ! :)

My own Dad was very good at seeing the downsides of a plan of action :) - Sadly he was hopeless at seeing the potential advantages, or believing in himself or his own - to the full extent they deserved. Fortunately when we were grown a bit and left home, we could learn to trust ourselves a bit more, but it wasn't until he died - now more than 20 years ago that I at any rate could learn that it wasn't only the disadvantages of a course of action that should be considered !

We have more than 24,000 members here and many of us are quite gobby ! How many do you think have got these "felony records" you fear ?

Now I don't for one moment say to disregard the "don't sell and be discrete" advice, it is simple common sense - depending on your own local "Regulations" - there is quite a variation across the states and here in Europe, it seems it is almost accepted provided we don't "Take the piss" by selling !

I can't for one moment advocate breaking the law either or incite you to do so - but sometimes we can look at the law and ask ourselves things like "Why can I make beer legally, but not heat it up to drive some of the water off ? " (I know it's not quite like that ! :roll: )

Think too about the real "worst case" scenario. Ok so you get caught - what is the worst that can happen ? - write it down here if it helps 8) - Then ask yourself how the people you know will feel about "knowing a moonshiner " ? - How would tehy feel if you were conviced for something different - like "Child abuse" - which woul you prefer ?

Then take a look at the other things in your life which "Guilt" is controlling ? And perhaps say to yourself that it is OK to nake your own decisions sometimes !

Perhaps give yourself permission to take this one risk a few times ? Who knows what positive reinforcement it will give to actions in the rest of your life when you start taking risks in a few other areas as welll ?

Learn to trust yourself to succeed and to overcome problems a bit more.

Go for it lad - deluxe - implies Quality Well treat yourself as a quality item and give youself permission to do something just because you want to - because you are worth it ! :wink:
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

+1 Pikey

And - do it well

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
deluxe
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by deluxe »

Pikey wrote:
deluxe wrote:

..............Discreet. Don’t tell, don’t sell.

And then I started to dwell on the possibility of getting busted, and potentially having a felony on my record. ...........

........... Any thoughts? Thanks.
I think you're quite young - and maybe a little over exposed to the culture of co-operation and political correctness ?

To the world where Donald Trump is wrong, Evil and a really BAD man ? Where everyone's opinions and "Rigts" are sacrosanct - except those of the W.A.S.P. Male - which are simply wrong by definition ?

Maybe your dad never took you hunting, fishing or camping ?

If I am close to correct, NONE of that is YOUR fault ! :)

My own Dad was very good at seeing the downsides of a plan of action :) - Sadly he was hopeless at seeing the potential advantages, or believing in himself or his own - to the full extent they deserved. Fortunately when we were grown a bit and left home, we could learn to trust ourselves a bit more, but it wasn't until he died - now more than 20 years ago that I at any rate could learn that it wasn't only the disadvantages of a course of action that should be considered !

We have more than 24,000 members here and many of us are quite gobby ! How many do you think have got these "felony records" you fear ?

Now I don't for one moment say to disregard the "don't sell and be discrete" advice, it is simple common sense - depending on your own local "Regulations" - there is quite a variation across the states and here in Europe, it seems it is almost accepted provided we don't "Take the piss" by selling !

I can't for one moment advocate breaking the law either or incite you to do so - but sometimes we can look at the law and ask ourselves things like "Why can I make beer legally, but not heat it up to drive some of the water off ? " (I know it's not quite like that ! :roll: )

Think too about the real "worst case" scenario. Ok so you get caught - what is the worst that can happen ? - write it down here if it helps 8) - Then ask yourself how the people you know will feel about "knowing a moonshiner " ? - How would tehy feel if you were conviced for something different - like "Child abuse" - which woul you prefer ?

Then take a look at the other things in your life which "Guilt" is controlling ? And perhaps say to yourself that it is OK to nake your own decisions sometimes !

Perhaps give yourself permission to take this one risk a few times ? Who knows what positive reinforcement it will give to actions in the rest of your life when you start taking risks in a few other areas as welll ?

Learn to trust yourself to succeed and to overcome problems a bit more.

Go for it lad - deluxe - implies Quality Well treat yourself as a quality item and give youself permission to do something just because you want to - because you are worth it ! :wink:
This is some good $hit right here. I think I’m back in! Thanks!!!
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Distilling is not for everyone, only you know if it's for you. I'd like to say you worry to much and it's one of the most rewarding pursuits around but you have things to consider. What is your real risk? What are you risking? What is the likely out come if things go pear shaped (this can vary dependant on location) and can you look in the mirror and say well f#€& shit happens if it does. It's a great hobby but enter with your eyes open and if the answer's yes welcome in fellow miscreant :twisted:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
deluxe
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by deluxe »

Alright. I’m back in. Thanks for your input from various places on earth.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Where are you (what country) because in Canada nobody gives a shit. You can buy air distillers in the local brew shops and now I see there are "the grainfather" beer brewing set up with an available distilling lid! For sale , in the store. On the lake where I live (about 30 homes full time of about 66 properties) there are 11 guys who make wine/beer and 7 of us who distill. Unfortunately I'm the only one to do all grain or have a "real" still (57L keg) the rest are running those stupid air distillers and using essances to cover the taste of their swill.

Yes there are cops doing it here (couple years ago I talked to my rcmp neighbor and actually argued with him because he thought it was legal. Regardless, lots of cops here have their own stills.

If you make beer and sell it, you will get caught and fined.
If you make wine and sell it, you will get caught and fined.
If you make spirits and sell it, you will get caught and fined.

Its not that its likker, its the taxes/selling stuff without a permit.

Make it for yourself and enjoy it. Does anybody know/care if you make your own bread or jam? Unless someone looked in your fridge, would they know you make your own jam? Same thing. Make it and enjoy it, don't sell it.

Maybe cause I'm getting older but I really don't give a crap anymore. They legalized weed for crying out loud and all of a sudden, its mainstream and nobody cares. Guess what, nobody cares about homemade likker either.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
deluxe
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by deluxe »

Thanks for your reply! Inspirational for sure! I agree with your logic.
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

Another option.......
Find a local Craft Distillery & see if they are looking for help.
Might even be worth your while working for free to see if it is what you think it is.....
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Craft distillery.? Seems my experience is that they farm out the brewing to commercial beer breweries that have excess capacity and bring the wash back to run off. Volunteer free labor and you get to experience the thrill of bottling. Volunteer at a brewery or meadery instead.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.