Gin Essence

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

gavin_nz
Novice

Gin Essence

Post by gavin_nz »

Hello. Apologies if this has been covered in the forum already - I have searched and not found anything...

I want to make gin as close to Bombay Sapphire as possible. I have 94% neutral spirit. I may look at making 'real' gin later, but at first keen to see what I can do with essences.

Here in New Zealand we seem to have access to these essences:

1. Essencia Blue Sapphire
2. Edwards Sapphire Blue Gin
3. Still Spirits BLUE JEWEL GIN FLAVOURING

Does anyone have any experience with these- is any particularly good, or worth avoiding? I'm leaning toward Still Spirits, but that isn't based on much.

Thanks in advance,
Gavin
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Re: Gin Essence

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Pleeease! don't waste ya coin...gin is absolutely piss easy to make and I'm pretty sure there's a goods bill for Bombay Sapphire here on the forums somewhere...I'll look for it in the AM...I have it in my brewbook and I'll post it if I can't find it again here. Just use your smallest still and the neutral you have...just saying...Kiwi
Getting hung up all day on smiles
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

I have tasted essence gin just once (I don't know which one) and although it was not utterly disgraceful it was probably on par with the cheapest crap Paknsave might be flogging on a clearance sale. Try it by all means but lower ya aspirations from Bombay to Beefeater at best
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

We go through so much gin over summer . My favourite is the Still spirits Dry London Gin . LOL I bought out two bottles at Xmas one was a Gordons Gin bottle , the othor a Blue Sapphire bottle , both had the same stuff in them . Family members screwed their nose up at the Gordons bottle and remarked how good the stuff n the Blue sapphire bottle was . :econfused:

Never liked anything from Edwards and only a few from essencia . Still spirits are the go .

I do make real Gin too but its not enough for summer quaffing :oops:
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Yummyrum wrote:both had the same stuff in them . Family members screwed their nose up at the Gordons bottle and remarked how good the stuff n the Blue sapphire bottle was . :econfused:
Funny how a bottle or label can change peoples perceptions of things.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

The list of botanicals is on the bottles. If you don't have a Carter Head, run with them in a the boiler.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Welcome fellow kiwi.
The more time you spend here, the less time you'll spend at the home brew shop and you (might) save some coin too.

I'm guessing that you only have a reflux still at this stage? You'll want to remedy that if you can't run it in pot still mode.