Peated whiskey so far

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mendel
Novice

Peated whiskey so far

Post by Mendel »

I had 2 separate 5 gallon batches on peated wash waiting too long to distill that I finally got to do a stripping run of today.

One was infected with acetobacteria, but I ran it anyway just for curiosity and learning. I should have dumped it - the product wasn't bad and has some potentially interesting flavors, but the yield was really low - maybe half a liter.

The other turned out surprisingly well. No one is going to mistake my low wine for the finest Islay scotch, but all the wonderful flavors I look for are in there. If I can do a dozen or so more of these the same way, I should have a really interesting whisky.

Has anyone cracked a bottle doing a stripping run? Running as fast as I can without steam heats up the bottle noticeably, and these aren't tempered glass. Do I need to find some sort of ceramic jug?
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Peated whiskey so far

Post by Mikey-moo »

Mendel wrote: Has anyone cracked a bottle doing a stripping run? Running as fast as I can without steam heats up the bottle noticeably, and these aren't tempered glass. Do I need to find some sort of ceramic jug?
Which bottle?
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Mendel wrote:...Has anyone cracked a bottle doing a stripping run? Running as fast as I can without steam heats up the bottle noticeably, and these aren't tempered glass. Do I need to find some sort of ceramic jug?
Are you talking about the collection vessel? Is your product coming out so hot it cracked a jar? If so, you either need to increase the water flow rate to the pc or you need to reduce the heat input to the boiler. It’s not safe to outrun the product condenser.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Mendel
Novice

Post by Mendel »

I have not cracked a bottle or jar as a collection vessel yet.

I have cracked them doing other things, and from experience, it doesn't take much to crack untempered glass.

I picked my speed based on visible steam, any time I saw any, I turned down the heat. But the liquid coming off was well above room temperature.
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

Hey Mendel:
Go out and buy a dozen or two canning jars. I like the one pint size. I also have 1/2 pint jars. You won’t have any problems unless you drop them. :esurprised:
JBC
JBC
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Mendel wrote:One was infected with acetobacteria, but I ran it anyway just for curiosity and learning. I should have dumped it - the product wasn't bad and has some potentially interesting flavors,
When Goshen was pinched, the revenue men said they found a cask of sour beer he was using to adjust the acidity in his mash, and Goshen is reputed to have made the best single malt in the Scottish highlands.
Getting hung up all day on smiles