Brewzilla - Robobrew 35L 3.1 - Alcoengine Reflux Still

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Truman50
Novice

Re: Brewzilla - Robobrew 35L 3.1 - Alcoengine Reflux Still

Post by Truman50 »

howie wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:05 pm
kakashi wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:31 am I have no complaints about the KL pot still. For the size, it does a pretty decent job. It clears a 25L batch in about 3 hours from cold (using only 1900 watts, 2.5 hours for full 2500 watts). If you're handy with solder and have enough pipe you could make a better one, but for the price it's really hard to complain :D

I go back and forth on using all 2500 watts. Sometimes it's just fine, and sometimes I smell vapour and the head of the still is too hot. Might be to do with the temperature of my tank water, or the pump not giving enough pressure.
have you thought about re-wiring the 1900w element.
i wired it so, at the flick of a switch, i can change it from 'normal' to being connection to a voltage controller.
among various other equipment tweaks, it's probably the best and most effective thing i've done.
I will do this to my turbo boiler. I did the same to my Guten where I could flick a switch and it bypassed the Guten controller board. Then I plugged the elements and pump into a craft beer Pi controler box I made (via IEC Connectors I isntalkee underneath) works great and I control my Guten via a webpage.

What voltage controller did you use and does it fit underneath your boiler? My turbo boiler has a hollow gap underneath.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

i bought a 4000w controller off fleabay, too bulky for underneath the brewzilla.
it also gets warmish for saying it's rated at 4000w, with only max 1900w element across it, so i'm happy it sits on the brewing table where i can fiddle with it manually.
it also comes in handy for controlling the boil for AG beers.
the original thread with pics is here https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=80204
voltage controller.JPG
Truman50
Novice

Post by Truman50 »

howie wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:45 pm i bought a 4000w controller off fleabay, too bulky for underneath the brewzilla.
it also gets warmish for saying it's rated at 4000w, with only max 1900w element across it, so i'm happy it sits on the brewing table where i can fiddle with it manually.
it also comes in handy for controlling the boil for AG beers.
the original thread with pics is here https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=80204
voltage controller.JPG
Ahh ok yeh that’s the one they sell at Kegland. Which is only a short 15 min drive from me luckily. I buy a lot of stuff from there and Keg King which is also very close.
BurningFalls
Novice

Post by BurningFalls »

@kakashi since you have both heads, how do your darker spirts compare between the two? I have both as well, but have found myself mainly using the pot still.
kakashi
Novice

Post by kakashi »

BurningFalls wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:14 pm @kakashi since you have both heads, how do your darker spirts compare between the two? I have both as well, but have found myself mainly using the pot still.
I haven't gotten around to making any yet. I had a shot at making a white rum a while back but threw it out because I thought it tasted wrong. I then bought a bottle to give myself a taste since I hadn't had a shot of it for 30 years. Damned if the bottle didn't taste just like the stuff I tossed out :D
codes_dude
Novice

Post by codes_dude »

downunderdunder wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:52 pm I also have the reflux head.

I drilled out the 1mm restriction fitting, replaced the ball valve with a needle valve, extended total packed height to 1.2m, replaced all the scrubbles with washed and completely stretched new ones and jammed those things in TIGHT!

Bypassed the thermostat controls in the boiler (65L 3500w model) and connected a voltage controller.

Running 30-40% abv low wines through it with minimal water flow the run comes over at azeo, once’s through fores and half heads I can take off at about 2L an hour but have to slow that down the whole run, no idea how you’d do that with the restrictive and ball valve not enough control.

Anything over 2000W overpowers the condenser and vapours exit the top, my tap water temp is 30-32c
I also have both KL still heads. I'm looking at improving the unit, I just installed a voltage regulator to I have more control over the heat of my Robobrew (I have the 35L 1500Watt US version.) Did you just hack off and replace the stock fittings to extend, or were you able to find some fittings to work with the stock unit? I've been eyeing up vented needle valves for my setup, as well to control flow better. Running with the .6MM fitting, I get .5L/hr @ 93% and I'm looking to improve that.
BurningFalls
Novice

Post by BurningFalls »

Has anyone seen any videos online using this reflux? I feel like the few times i've used it, it's not gone as expected. I'm using the GF and controller and not sure how to determine when to use the water flow, power or valve to stabilize temps in the column
codes_dude
Novice

Post by codes_dude »

The instructions that come with it are okay. I would suggest reading up on the mandatory reading sections here. There is a great guide for LM(Liquid Management) stills under the New distiller reading lounge. https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 63&t=13265 Keep in mind that we don't have a needle valve, so it's either open or closed. If you are looking for a recipe, check out the tried and true. As others have mentioned, do multiple strip runs to accumulate a boiler charge of 30-40% ABV for the spirit run. This will give you the best results. I'm not familiar with the GF controller, but if it is like the robobrew, set the temp setting as high as it will go, you don't want the element cycling on and off. If you have the ability to control heat intensity, that is beneficial.
Last edited by codes_dude on Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

BurningFalls wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:43 pm Has anyone seen any videos online using this reflux? I feel like the few times i've used it, it's not gone as expected. I'm using the GF and controller and not sure how to determine when to use the water flow, power or valve to stabilize temps in the column
Everything you need to know is in this post if you take the time to read it from the beginning.
BurningFalls
Novice

Post by BurningFalls »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:32 pm
BurningFalls wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:43 pm Has anyone seen any videos online using this reflux? I feel like the few times i've used it, it's not gone as expected. I'm using the GF and controller and not sure how to determine when to use the water flow, power or valve to stabilize temps in the column
Everything you need to know is in this post if you take the time to read it from the beginning.
Thanks, have been, and contributing. I’m just a visual learner and was curious to see if anyone had come across videos online other than the one posted by kegland.
BurningFalls
Novice

Post by BurningFalls »

codes_dude wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:14 pm The instructions that come with it are okay. I would suggest reading up on the mandatory reading sections here. There is a great guide for LM(Liquid Management) stills under the New distiller reading lounge. https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 63&t=13265 Keep in mind that we don't have a needle valve, so it's either open or closed. If you are looking for a recipe, check out the tried and true. As others have mentioned, do multiple strip runs to accumulate a boiler charge of 30-40% ABV for the spirit run. This will give you the best results. I'm not familiar with the GF controller, but if it is like the robobrew, set the temp setting as high as it will go, you don't want the element cycling on and off. If you have the ability to control heat intensity, that is beneficial.
Thanks, my question was more about trying to find subtle processes and tips for how best go about it. I’m new to the column, but not super new to distilling. So it’s always good to see and learn how to manage the column bands, compressing heads/tails and variables like water flow. I e got a good handle on my pot still, but the last couple of times I’ve run this column, it’s been inconsistent for me.
Truman50
Novice

Post by Truman50 »

kakashi wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:31 am I have no complaints about the KL pot still. For the size, it does a pretty decent job. It clears a 25L batch in about 3 hours from cold (using only 1900 watts, 2.5 hours for full 2500 watts). If you're handy with solder and have enough pipe you could make a better one, but for the price it's really hard to complain :D

I go back and forth on using all 2500 watts. Sometimes it's just fine, and sometimes I smell vapour and the head of the still is too hot. Might be to do with the temperature of my tank water, or the pump not giving enough pressure.
The pot still finally came into stock at KL so I bought one and last night did a stripping run on a TPW. Wow so much quicker than using the reflux still. Full 2400 watts of power and the spirit came out quite cool with minimal water flow. Very happy with it.
kakashi
Novice

Post by kakashi »

Good to hear!
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Hey Truman, talk about timing... I just got the KL reflux head this morning (already had the pot still) & some additional 2" tri-clamps.

Last week, I also got from Amazon Dernord store a 2"x24" triclamp spool, PTFE gaskets (1 with a screen to hold in marbles or ceramic saddles), & a 2" sight glass. So add those to the 2" weldless bulkhead that fits on my Digiboil 35L lid, and voila: my total column length is now 36" on the reflux & 31" on the pot still at the vapor exit points.

The spool is easier to pack with copper mesh than the KL columns...

Duck
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Truman50
Novice

Post by Truman50 »

rubberduck71 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:34 am Hey Truman, talk about timing... I just got the KL reflux head this morning (already had the pot still) & some additional 2" tri-clamps.

Last week, I also got from Amazon Dernord store a 2"x24" triclamp spool, PTFE gaskets (1 with a screen to hold in marbles or ceramic saddles), & a 2" sight glass. So add those to the 2" weldless bulkhead that fits on my Digiboil 35L lid, and voila: my total column length is now 36" on the reflux & 31" on the pot still at the vapor exit points.

The spool is easier to pack with copper mesh than the KL columns...

Duck
Yeh wow thats awesome. Have you tried it out yet? And if so how did it go?
Truman50
Novice

Post by Truman50 »

Hi guys, so Im still not 100% sure off I should use the .6mm valve or the 1mm valve? Ive done my stripping runs and have about 20 litres at 40% ready to go in my boiler. From what Ive read I should run it at around 500 watts once its reached boil but not sure which jet to use?

Also do I need to take cuts if Im going to soak botanicals in my spirit and run it through a pot still after the reflux run?
Last edited by Truman50 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

The smaller the nozzle ,the slower the output, the more the reflux, the cleaner the spirit.
Yes you need to make cuts now........not when you are making the gin.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Truman50 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:12 am Hi guys, so Im still not 100% sure off I should sue the .6mm valve or the 1mm valve? Ive down my stripping runs and have about 20 litres at 40% ready to go in my boiler. From what Ive read I should run it at around 500 watts once its reached boil but nit sure which jet to use?

Also do I need to take cuts if Im going to soak botanicals in my spirit and run it through a pot still after the reflux run?
Try it on the same wash with both. But to SBBill's point, you'll likely get higher ABV with the 0.6 valve. I was getting 95% even using the 1.0mm (which surprised me) -- HOWEVER I've added a 2"x24" spool with 2 rolls of mesh copper underneath the still head. This adds some reflux. I posted a pic of my rig in this thread: https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... &start=450 Note: this is of the pot still head, not the relux...

My starting wash was 1.5 gal @ 38%. This was stripped from some old wine that I had.

I used 1500W to get it up to temp, then backed off to 1000W after getting into fores. At 500W the off-take seemed a bit slow, but that could have been from the small boiler charge. I do my spirit runs on the pot head @ 500W. Head temp held steady @ 174-175 & ABV @ 95% for 10x150 mL of jars, then temp started creeping up fast on the last 3 while ABV was dropping. This is the indication you're alcohol to water ratio is diminishing in the boiler.

I have a couple buckets of Rad's All Bran to experiment with next weekend. I'll have a full boiler charge to test 500W vs 1000W.

The end result was 1L of what I considered hearts + 0.95L of feints. The hearts was cut with 1.375L of distilled water to get it to 40%. Feints will go in next run.
Truman50
Novice

Post by Truman50 »

rubberduck71 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:08 am
Truman50 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:12 am Hi guys, so Im still not 100% sure off I should sue the .6mm valve or the 1mm valve? Ive down my stripping runs and have about 20 litres at 40% ready to go in my boiler. From what Ive read I should run it at around 500 watts once its reached boil but nit sure which jet to use?

Try it on the same wash with both. But to SBBill's point, you'll likely get higher ABV with the 0.6 valve. I was getting 95% even using the 1.0mm (which surprised me) -- HOWEVER I've added a 2"x24" spool with 2 rolls of mesh copper underneath the still head. This adds some reflux. I posted a pic of my rig in this thread: https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... &start=450 Note: this is of the pot still head, not the relux...

My starting wash was 1.5 gal @ 38%. This was stripped from some old wine that I had.

I used 1500W to get it up to temp, then backed off to 1000W after getting into fores. At 500W the off-take seemed a bit slow, but that could have been from the small boiler charge. I do my spirit runs on the pot head @ 500W. Head temp held steady @ 174-175 & ABV @ 95% for 10x150 mL of jars, then temp started creeping up fast on the last 3 while ABV was dropping. This is the indication you're alcohol to water ratio is diminishing in the boiler.

I have a couple buckets of Rad's All Bran to experiment with next weekend. I'll have a full boiler charge to test 500W vs 1000W.

The end result was 1L of what I considered hearts + 0.95L of feints. The hearts was cut with 1.375L of distilled water to get it to 40%. Feints will go in next run.
I have the 24" extension also and its packed with SS scrubbies. (The rest of the cloumn is packed with copper)
ill try the .6mm jet and see how it goes taking cuts all through the run. I have a voltage controller too so can drop the voltage to slow the flow also. By using the 1900w and the voltage controller set to around 55% should give me 1000 watts

Cheers for the tips.
Truman50
Novice

Post by Truman50 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:55 am The smaller the nozzle ,the slower the output, the more the reflux, the cleaner the spirit.
Yes you need to make cuts now........not when you are making the gin.
Thanks mate, will make my cuts on this run then.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Hey Truman, did you re-wire the unit to be powered by the voltage controller, or is it plugged directly into it? I have heard, but did not want to make my rig a guinea pig, that as long as it's above 50-55%, the rig's circuit board will have enough juice to run normally.

Thanks,
Duck
Truman50
Novice

Post by Truman50 »

rubberduck71 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:07 pm Hey Truman, did you re-wire the unit to be powered by the voltage controller, or is it plugged directly into it? I have heard, but did not want to make my rig a guinea pig, that as long as it's above 50-55%, the rig's circuit board will have enough juice to run normally.

Thanks,
Duck
I didnt bother re-wiring it as the voltage controller is too big to fit underneath the turbo boiler Im using anyway. Its just as easy to plug it in and the controller will probably run cooler out on the bench anyway.

Im not using a brewzilla or Guten or other circuit controlled boiler though with a digital controller built in. Just a standard turbo boiler with 2 elements.
Armaghmoonshine
Novice

Post by Armaghmoonshine »

Has anyone tried drilling out the 0.6 or 1.0 mm outlet valves so condensed Vapor can exit quicker??

Thanks
R
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

You can try if you like , but it will defeat the purpose, you will end up with less reflux, which in turn will make for less ABV and less pure spirit.
They are designed as a Reflux still for making neutral spirit.
If you want flavor and faster it would be better to build a pot still head for it.
DadBodAllDay
Novice

Post by DadBodAllDay »

My question is the same as Truman50, I have low wines from a pot still head and plan to run feints as well on the reflux. I understand the LM concept meaning the 0.6mm is cleaner and better but is the 1.0mm sufficient for a neutral spirit? It's mostly going into bloody Mary's. Has anyone been using the 1.0mm in reflux mode with good results or is it just for mock pot still mode?

My first shot on the reflux using the 0.6mm(I think) gave great ABV but was about 400mL an hour which is not ideal when I have 4-5 gallons of low wines to process. Thanks team.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

DadBodAllDay wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:47 pm My first shot on the reflux using the 0.6mm(I think) gave great ABV but was about 400mL an hour which is not ideal when I have 4-5 gallons of low wines to process.
You cant have your cake and eat it to, Those Alcoengine Stills have very short columns compared to the reflux stills that most people would build.
For that reason they need to run very slowly so that the reflux rate is high enough to get a clean high abv spirit.
You can have speed or clean and high ABV .......but not both at once with a column that short.
The fella who wrote the first post in this thread has a pretty good handle on how these stills work and how to use one, suggest you go to the first post and read it carefully.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Agree with Saltbushs post above . If you want faster at the same purity , you need a longer packed column .