Brewzilla - Robobrew 35L 3.1 - Alcoengine Reflux Still

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Truman50
Novice

Re: Brewzilla - Robobrew 35L 3.1 - Alcoengine Reflux Still

Post by Truman50 »

just brought a alco engine reflux still and keen to try it out.
kakashi
Novice

Post by kakashi »

Good luck with it. Mine is still going strong, though I do sometimes pine for a larger more flexible still. I'll just have to build one with the savings from these ones :D
Truman50
Novice

Post by Truman50 »

kakashi wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:34 am Good luck with it. Mine is still going strong, though I do sometimes pine for a larger more flexible still. I'll just have to build one with the savings from these ones :D
Are you still using yours in pot still mode by taking the packing out? Have you ever made the 1mm jet larger for this?
Truman50
Novice

Post by Truman50 »

gwizard wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:57 am I have built a liebig condenser to cool down the distillate. You can avoid that issue if you run the slower element, but then the whole process will take more then 4h.

Good luck.
Hey mate what size Liebig did you build and how did you connect it on to your column? Do you have pics of it?
kakashi
Novice

Post by kakashi »

Truman50 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:50 pm Are you still using yours in pot still mode by taking the packing out? Have you ever made the 1mm jet larger for this?
I actually bought the pot still version of this still and use that instead for stripping runs. I think it's about 3 hours to strip 25L of 10% ABV right down. I could even reduce that a bit if I didn't worry about anything over 98c - which is where I am cutting it off ATM.

I did use the 1mm fitting with the column de-packed in the past to do the stripping. It's still not as fast as using the pot still head, which at $150 was an easy enough buy to save that time.
Truman50
Novice

Post by Truman50 »

kakashi wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:31 pm
Truman50 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:50 pm Are you still using yours in pot still mode by taking the packing out? Have you ever made the 1mm jet larger for this?
I did use the 1mm fitting with the column de-packed in the past to do the stripping. It's still not as fast as using the pot still head, which at $150 was an easy enough buy to save that time.
Yeh I am considering buying the pot still head as well. Even though I just had to buy a turbo boiler as the lid I bought doesnt fit my older Guten (It only fits the newer models) Maybe Ill run the reflux still in pot still mode for a few goes until I get sick of it...then buy the pot still. I actually have the 2inch copper pipe and a few fittings to make a pot still so could even do that.

Did you do a vinegar run and a sac run?
I was told a vinegar run is all that is needed.
kakashi
Novice

Post by kakashi »

I did a vinegar run, but didn't have anything handy for the sac run. In the end, the first thing through it was done with a turbo, so it was pretty much all sacrificed on account of it tasting awful :D Subsequent runs have been TPW and Wheatgerm, and they are very drinkable.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

I'm the reverse course of you guys: bought the pot still head first. Waiting for the reflux to go on sale, but in meantime, have plenty of whiskey washes to work through.

It's right on 4 hrs to do the stripping run.

Was also thinking about adding a 10" column extension, as I already bought the 2" weldless tri-clamp adapter that fits nicely on the existing distillation lid. Can stuff that with copper mesh as well.

Duck
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Truman50
Novice

Post by Truman50 »

kakashi wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:01 pm I did a vinegar run, but didn't have anything handy for the sac run. In the end, the first thing through it was done with a turbo, so it was pretty much all sacrificed on account of it tasting awful :D Subsequent runs have been TPW and Wheatgerm, and they are very drinkable.
Ok I might do a Turbo to run through it then as a sac run.
Truman50
Novice

Post by Truman50 »

rubberduck71 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:26 pm
Was also thinking about adding a 10" column extension, as I already bought the 2" weldless tri-clamp adapter that fits nicely on the existing distillation lid. Can stuff that with copper mesh as well.

Duck
I bought the extension (actually bought 2 by mistake) Does this make it run quicker? Whats the main advantage?
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Truman50 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:56 pm

I bought the extension (actually bought 2 by mistake) Does this make it run quicker? Whats the main advantage?
More knowledgeable folks on this site to correct me if I'm wrong: extensions won't make the run quicker, but it should help on ABV, provided you have enough power to push the vapors up. And the higher the ABV, the longer the overall run will take.
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Yup , you’ll get higher AVB .

Now , if it was a “normal” LM still , you could then open the needle valve a bit more . The AVB would drop back a bit ( perhaps around where it was without the extension ) but you will be collecting faster . So yes, the speed can go up by adding more packing uf you reduce the ABV back to where it was without it .

But.... on that LM still you have , you can’t adjust the output rate , it is set by the restrictor with a hole drilled in it .

Some have removed the restrictor and fitted a needle valve to make it more like a “ normal “ LM
Truman50
Novice

Post by Truman50 »

Yummyrum wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:34 pm Yup , you’ll get higher AVB .

Now , if it was a “normal” LM still , you could then open the needle valve a bit more . The AVB would drop back a bit ( perhaps around where it was without the extension ) but you will be collecting faster . So yes, the speed can go up by adding more packing uf you reduce the ABV back to where it was without it .

But.... on that LM still you have , you can’t adjust the output rate , it is set by the restrictor with a hole drilled in it .

Some have removed the restrictor and fitted a needle valve to make it more like a “ normal “ LM
I have a needle valve for doing exactly that.
Truman50
Novice

Post by Truman50 »

So Ive been told I should run a reflux run direct from my wash with the 1mm jet installed and the packing (Minus the 2 extra ones not required and the packing stretched out a bit) instead of doing a stripping run first.

What are your thoughts?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

You will always end up with a better neutral product from a reflux still by running low wines "stripping first".
Your choice though ..try both ways see what you think.
I know which Id prefer to drink.
Truman50
Novice

Post by Truman50 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:14 pm You will always end up with a better neutral product from a reflux still by running low wines "stripping first".
Your choice though ..try both ways see what you think.
I know which Id prefer to drink.
So do you mean strip first with a detuned reflux (Or a pot still)

Then run a reflux run
Then soak on botanicals and run a "pot still mode" spirit run?
So 3 runs? That was my original plan.

But then it was suggested I try running a reflux run of the wash.
Then filter on carbon, then soak botanicals, then do a pot still run with packing removed.
So 2 runs instead?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Everything you need to know on how to make a good clean neutral using this type of still is in the posts by kakashi spread through the thread.
If you want to make things using botanicals it might be best to start another thread.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Truman50 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:34 pm But then it was suggested I try running a reflux run of the wash.
Then filter on carbon,
Let me guess , .... that advice come from the Home Brew Shop that sold you the still . He wants you to keep making inferior spirit so he can keep selling you Carbon to clean up the stench .

Bets on he also told you to use Turbo yeast and that bread yeast is useless . .... they do that ... keeps their pockets full .
Bee
Swill Maker

Post by Bee »

How do you guys like the Brewzilla 9.5gal for mashing? It it worth the $$?
Truman50
Novice

Post by Truman50 »

Yummyrum wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:47 pm
Truman50 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:34 pm But then it was suggested I try running a reflux run of the wash.
Then filter on carbon,
Let me guess , .... that advice come from the Home Brew Shop that sold you the still . He wants you to keep making inferior spirit so he can keep selling you Carbon to clean up the stench .

Bets on he also told you to use Turbo yeast and that bread yeast is useless . .... they do that ... keeps their pockets full .
Umm..no. It was a mate of mine who distills. He said instead of doing 3 runs I should just do a reflux run on the wash, then carbon filter it, then soak botanicals and do a pot still run with the packing removed. He said hes done it both ways and cant really tell the difference as carbon cleans it up nicely.

My original plan was to strip the wash with my detuned reflux still first. Then run a reflux mode fully packed, then soak botanicals and do a pot still run.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I like your way better than your mates
kakashi
Novice

Post by kakashi »

I do a stripping run first with the pot still, then run it through my reflux still. You can also do this by de-tuning the reflux still, remove the packing, use the 1mm fitting. The pot still runs a lot faster though, so if you are seeing yourself sitting by a still for a lot of hours, consider the pot still. It will pay back that investment pretty quickly. You might even want to think about making a still, but that's for another thread / topic.

The quality of the liquor is so good I don't even consider carbon filtering it. The stripping runs allows me to charge the still (when refluxing) with 25L of low wines at 40% ABV, which gives me a wide hearts cut. Anything with even a hint of tails ends up in the feints jar, along with anything that smells too 'headsy'. Usually there's a little candy or bubblegum smell, but nothing I would consider offensive.

I use the wheat germ recipe and plain old baker's yeast. There's lovely clean booze coming out the other end. Now if I try a commercial whiskey I find myself sniffing at the tails smell and wishing I'd made enough of my own to last me the duration.
Truman50
Novice

Post by Truman50 »

kakashi wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:30 pm I do a stripping run first with the pot still, then run it through my reflux still. You can also do this by de-tuning the reflux still, remove the packing, use the 1mm fitting. The pot still runs a lot faster though, so if you are seeing yourself sitting by a still for a lot of hours, consider the pot still. It will pay back that investment pretty quickly. You might even want to think about making a still, but that's for another thread / topic.

The quality of the liquor is so good I don't even consider carbon filtering it. The stripping runs allows me to charge the still (when refluxing) with 25L of low wines at 40% ABV, which gives me a wide hearts cut. Anything with even a hint of tails ends up in the feints jar, along with anything that smells too 'headsy'. Usually there's a little candy or bubblegum smell, but nothing I would consider offensive.

I use the wheat germ recipe and plain old baker's yeast. There's lovely clean booze coming out the other end. Now if I try a commercial whiskey I find myself sniffing at the tails smell and wishing I'd made enough of my own to last me the duration.
Yeh I think I might go back to that idea and just remove all the packing and do a stripping run first. I did my first run last night. Reflux run of my TPW with all the packing and an extension tube. Used the .6mm jet and collected just over a litre before having to go to bed. I will finish it off tonight but will switch to the 1mm jet. I wont bother removing the packing though. I can run it with both the 1400watt and 900watt elements together and it had no issues at all.
I actually have the copper pipe and a few other bits and pieces to make a pot still. (I made one years ago and ended up selling it) But if you think the KL pot still is good enough I might just buy it in a few weeks when its back in stock.

cheers for the advice gents
kakashi
Novice

Post by kakashi »

I have no complaints about the KL pot still. For the size, it does a pretty decent job. It clears a 25L batch in about 3 hours from cold (using only 1900 watts, 2.5 hours for full 2500 watts). If you're handy with solder and have enough pipe you could make a better one, but for the price it's really hard to complain :D

I go back and forth on using all 2500 watts. Sometimes it's just fine, and sometimes I smell vapour and the head of the still is too hot. Might be to do with the temperature of my tank water, or the pump not giving enough pressure.
Truman50
Novice

Post by Truman50 »

kakashi wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:31 am I have no complaints about the KL pot still. For the size, it does a pretty decent job. It clears a 25L batch in about 3 hours from cold (using only 1900 watts, 2.5 hours for full 2500 watts). If you're handy with solder and have enough pipe you could make a better one, but for the price it's really hard to complain :D

I go back and forth on using all 2500 watts. Sometimes it's just fine, and sometimes I smell vapour and the head of the still is too hot. Might be to do with the temperature of my tank water, or the pump not giving enough pressure.
I had to use tank water last night and it was coming out at 30C instead of 25C like my tap water does. But Im in Melbourne. I can imagine up there your water would be much warmer.

I finished my reflux run of my TPW last night. Using the.6mm jet I ended up collecting a total of 2.7 litres at 90%abv. (From a 25 litre wash)
I was able to run it with both the 1400 watt and the 900 watt element (I have the keg king turbo boiler) and full packing of copper in the top and extra stainless packing in the extension. It took about 7-8 hours all up over both days including heat up both days and also stopped a few times due to other issues.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

kakashi wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:31 am I have no complaints about the KL pot still. For the size, it does a pretty decent job. It clears a 25L batch in about 3 hours from cold (using only 1900 watts, 2.5 hours for full 2500 watts). If you're handy with solder and have enough pipe you could make a better one, but for the price it's really hard to complain :D

have you thought about re-wiring the 1900w element.
i wired it so, at the flick of a switch, i can change it from 'normal' to being connection to a voltage controller.
among various other equipment tweaks, it's probably the best and most effective thing i've done.
downunderdunder
Novice

Post by downunderdunder »

I just don’t like a product that has copper mesh stuffed inside their wound copper coil in a location that you cannot access to clean.

I regret buying the pot still cause I simply cut the top off, soldered 2 90’s and made a Liebig to condense which was much more efficient.
downunderdunder
Novice

Post by downunderdunder »

I also have the reflux head.

I drilled out the 1mm restriction fitting, replaced the ball valve with a needle valve, extended total packed height to 1.2m, replaced all the scrubbles with washed and completely stretched new ones and jammed those things in TIGHT!

Bypassed the thermostat controls in the boiler (65L 3500w model) and connected a voltage controller.

Running 30-40% abv low wines through it with minimal water flow the run comes over at azeo, once’s through fores and half heads I can take off at about 2L an hour but have to slow that down the whole run, no idea how you’d do that with the restrictive and ball valve not enough control.

Anything over 2000W overpowers the condenser and vapours exit the top, my tap water temp is 30-32c
kakashi
Novice

Post by kakashi »

howie wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:05 pm have you thought about re-wiring the 1900w element.
i wired it so, at the flick of a switch, i can change it from 'normal' to being connection to a voltage controller.
among various other equipment tweaks, it's probably the best and most effective thing i've done.
I might consider doing that one day, since having voltage control would allow me to open it up a little more. The other post mentioning using a needle valve is also an interesting option.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

downunderdunder wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:52 pm I also have the reflux head.

I drilled out the 1mm restriction fitting, replaced the ball valve with a needle valve, extended total packed height to 1.2m, replaced all the scrubbles with washed and completely stretched new ones and jammed those things in TIGHT!

Bypassed the thermostat controls in the boiler (65L 3500w model) and connected a voltage controller.

Running 30-40% abv low wines through it with minimal water flow the run comes over at azeo, once’s through fores and half heads I can take off at about 2L an hour but have to slow that down the whole run, no idea how you’d do that with the restrictive and ball valve not enough control.

Anything over 2000W overpowers the condenser and vapours exit the top, my tap water temp is 30-32c
Listen to this fella :thumbup: :clap: