I feel like..

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

NSWiner
Novice

I feel like..

Post by NSWiner »

I will always be a novice distiller. Lol. Been at this game for 4 years and feel like I'm just scratching the surface of what I need to know.

I feel like my equipment is not great but ok. 3 gallon mighty mini while small suits me. It comes up to Temps fast and I don't have large chunks of time
I can dedicate to a 12 hr spirit run.

This site is invaluable and without it I'd be drinking shite. Lol

So thanks all y'all. :)
metalsmith
Bootlegger

Re: I feel like..

Post by metalsmith »

I understand the large chunk of time thing. The kids are grown, but the wife thinks that time is hers now.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

I've been at this for some time now. I run into stuff all the time that I don't know, like running a reflux still in 102f outside heat vs 55f heat. What now? I think you you can do this for 70 years and not figure it all out.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

rubber duck wrote:I've been at this for some time now. I run into stuff all the time that I don't know, like running a reflux still in 102f outside heat vs 55f heat. What now? I think you you can do this for 70 years and not figure it all out.
+1, especially if you are experimenting with new concepts.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Bushman wrote:
rubber duck wrote:I've been at this for some time now. I run into stuff all the time that I don't know, like running a reflux still in 102f outside heat vs 55f heat. What now? I think you you can do this for 70 years and not figure it all out.
+1, especially if you are experimenting with new concepts.
These forms are about teaching, but they are also about pushing the limits. That is a quote from mash rookie.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I look at my records and see that I do things differently now than what I did 30, 20, 10, 5 and less years ago and a lot of those records have notes reminding me what I should do different, or better, next time.

There are probably many comments on old threads that were made by posters who have moved on from what they thought at the time. The Parent site got a recent tidy up to get rid of obsolete and bad advice.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

I'm with you, NSWiner.
I know my own still after these few years at it. But ask a question about a different process or another still and I'm lost.
Most days that's enough. Other days I wonder when I'll understand it all. :lolno:
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

NSWiner wrote:I will always be a novice distiller. Lol. Been at this game for 4 years and feel like I'm just scratching the surface of what I need to know.

I feel like my equipment is not great but ok. 3 gallon mighty mini while small suits me. It comes up to Temps fast and I don't have large chunks of time
I can dedicate to a 12 hr spirit run.

This site is invaluable and without it I'd be drinking shite. Lol

So thanks all y'all. :)
Similar to you NSW, I'm not sure where I'd be if this site didn't exist.

There's always two types of people in the world. Those who realize the don't know everything, and probably never will. And those who rationalize what they see to fit what the already know. The former can grow, the latter cannot.

I don't think I'll get to the point where I understand everything, but I know enough to have a lot of fun, which is what it's about IMO.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd