What is this boiling pot glued with!

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Big L
Novice

What is this boiling pot glued with!

Post by Big L »

Hi all!

I v stupidly got the electrics in this pot wet and so unscrewed it to dry... wondering what this was glued with? thanks!
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2019-07-16 at 13.40.27.jpeg
Big L
Novice

Re: What is this boiling pot glued with!

Post by Big L »

for context
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2019-07-16 at 13.47.01.jpeg
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Looks like thermal transfer paste, similar to a computer CPU and heatsink. I'd guess it's the spring which holds things in place.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Yes, those are 3 thermal switches that (depending on design) make or break an electrical circuit at their rated temperature.
The white paste makes sure there is good thermal conductivity between the switches and pot.
And the spring looks like it presses the 3 thermal switches against the pot also for good thermal contact.
Smokee
Swill Maker

Post by Smokee »

Thermal epoxy.

I've used this on an electric cup holder I made years ago, I found it to be the best.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silv ... hesive.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Smokee wrote:Thermal epoxy.I've used this on an electric cup holder I made years ago, I found it to be the best.
I wouldn't be recommending an electrically conductive paste for this application.

Like most factory made appliances, there is already an excess of paste. No need to buy anything. Scrape it up with an old plastic credit card and reapply it.
Smokee
Swill Maker

Post by Smokee »

SaltyStaves wrote: I wouldn't be recommending an electrically conductive paste for this application.
:lol: It's no more conductive than the components it's adhering... metal on metal.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Smokee wrote:
SaltyStaves wrote: I wouldn't be recommending an electrically conductive paste for this application.
:lol: It's no more conductive than the components it's adhering... metal on metal.
Unlike a CPU heatsink, this appliance has close proximity with liquid and so it is safer to avoid anything that can form a conductive bridge. Plenty of non-conductive thermal pastes out there. Most are a lot cheaper than Arctic Silver too.