Messed up - what to do?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

R80Y96
Novice

Messed up - what to do?

Post by R80Y96 »

Hi all - been distilling for a while and tried Birdwatchers, Turbo Pure etc. I also use a pot still - I know you guys hate them , but it's all I have available.

Recently let my dad "help" and basically we've ended up with a crap spirit. He didn't take the heads out and forgot to carbon filter (this was made with a turbo.) He mixed water in and we ended up with around 1.5L of 40% which tastes like crap.

My Question is - I have watered the 1.5L down to 4L to put back in the still - but what should my next steps be to save this? Should I aim to take around 1.4L and through the first 100ml and rest away, then carbon filter? Any suggestions here would be appreciated.

PS. Sorry to all you pros who are using the Birdwatchers and Reflux Stills - I know what you're going to say...!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Messed up - what to do?

Post by still_stirrin »

RichieBoy69 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:58 am ...been distilling for a while and tried Birdwatchers, Turbo Pure etc. I also use a pot still...
...(but) basically we've ended up with a crap spirit.
...didn't take the heads out and forgot to carbon filter...
...mixed water in and we ended up with around 1.5L of 40% which tastes like crap.

My Question is:
1) I have watered the 1.5L down to 4L to put back in the still...
OK, 1.5 L at 40% watered down to 4L would make it 1.5/4.0 x 40% = 15%. But, you could have rerun the product at 40% if you're careful. That would give you a little higher proof off still although you wouldn't collect near as much.
RichieBoy69 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:58 am ...what should my next steps be to save this? Should I aim to take around 1.4L and through the first 100ml and rest away, then carbon filter?

Any suggestions here would be appreciated.
Well, the obvious answer is to rerun the product since you've collected everything into your jar...heads, tails, and foreshots along with the hearts. That doesn't sound too appetizing. Also, read up and memorize Kiwistiller's Guide to Cuts....it's what you've missed out with your "screw up". Making conservative cuts is fundamental to collecting good spirits....and don't get greedy with your "keeper" jars. That'll make it all taste bad (and give you a headache.

If your potstill is too big for a 1.5L run, then making 3 times as much ferment and running 3 strips to collect the low wines for a spirit run will produce more product and keep it cleaner for your liquor cabinet. It also makes it easier to make cuts on a larger collection. Win-win!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
R80Y96
Novice

Post by R80Y96 »

Many thanks - the still is running now and will throw the first 100ml away and then take 100ml jars as cuts / do the smell test and then add together the good cuts and water the whole lot down to 40% and throw the rest away - sensible? Thank for the "Kiwistiller's Guide to Cuts..." recommendation, will go through it now.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Also, you shouldn't have to filter with activated carbon if you did things correctly. That is, if the ferment was done right and your cuts are proper, what's left in your "keeper" jar should be a good spirit.

I've found that Birdwatcher's will have a bit of a sharp "bite" to it, especially at higher proof, most likely due to a lower pH (increased acidity). I prefer to make Rad's All Bran recipe for my neutrals. The bran flakes add nutrients for the yeast and help buffer the pH crash. And the flakes don't add any noticeable flavor to the product either. Look it up and give it a try next time.
ss
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Also, we like to have all new members introduce themselves in the New Member forum. Tell a little bit about yourself, ie - what your experience is, what you like to make (or would like to make), what tools you use, that sort of thing. It helps us understand where you are along this long and winding road of hobby distilling.
ss
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Congrats on your finding HD, and your road to knowledge!

FWIW, don't feel you have to make apologies for your equipment. A lot of us love our pot stills and the fine spirits we can produce with them. Inherently, they force us to become competent in mashing, fermenting and aging, something you will address should you wish to move from sugar washes to all-grain. Ditching the Turbo yeast will do wonders for your end product.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
R80Y96
Novice

Post by R80Y96 »

Thanks guys for the words of encouragement. Have just posted a small intro as recommended by still_stirrin.

Should have mentioned that the wash was a StillSpirits Turbo Pure + Liquid Carbon. Just taken cuts at 50ml, then in 100mls. To be honest, even the 3rd and 4th cuts smell a bit strange. Think this whole batch should just be chucked ... !?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

RichieBoy69 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:22 pm...To be honest, even the 3rd and 4th cuts smell a bit strange...
"...a bit strange..." doesn't give enough description for us to help troubleshoot.

Can you describe it better, i.e. - fingernail polish remover, acetone, charcoal lighter fluid, banana or pineapple, wet socks or cardboard? What are your senses saying?
ss
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

None of us really know anything about "Trubo" except it tastes like crud ! That's why we don't use it.

However, you have got the charcoal etc and I suggest you use them according to the instructions then look in "Tried and true" - easier, cheaper and way better product - but hey - look to the instructions of what you have 8)
R80Y96
Novice

Post by R80Y96 »

It’s sort of like a chemically smell - will carbon filter a few times, but think I’m going to go back to Birdwatchers after this ...
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

RichieBoy69 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:37 pm...It’s sort of like a chemically smell - will carbon filter a few times...
Yep...heads —> lousy cuts (low experience/skill level). Rerunning it and making critical cuts, rather than trying to “measure” your cuts, will help clean it up.

Activated carbon filtering will help a little, although I doubt it’ll fully repair your mistakes (thank your father for his “help”).

You should smell the heads in Jack Daniels before and after running through their proprietary carbon filters....to this day, when you smell a bottle of JD, you can smell the heads. What a “headache maker” it is!
ss
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I've been following this thread a bit and really wonder why bother to try to save it. It's bird watchers made with turbo yeast :sick: Birdwatchers is cheap and easy enough to make again but personally I only use it for cleaning runs, especially in the pot still. I find there is a weird unpleasant tomato flavor that comes across in the early tails, some people describe it as taquila smell/flavor. I much prefer All-bran whether it is in the pot still or the reflux stuff. Chalk this one up to learning and start over using a better yeast and a recipe better suited for a pot still.
R80Y96
Novice

Post by R80Y96 »

Hi Cranky, will be using the all-bran method next. Have run the “hearts” (basically the middle of the run) through the carbon filter three times and it’s loosing the smell and taste, but a lot of wasted time!