Bestco Keg

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

patmi5
Novice

Bestco Keg

Post by patmi5 »

I have a Bestco beer keg that I would like to convert into a still. It was made in Neb. in the 50"s and has a strange thread in the top opening.
It has no snap ring but has a threaded ring that holds the valve. I thought the ring was 1-1/2" NPT. However after trying 2 plumbing supply
houses, no matching fitting was found. It almost fits an 1 1/2 pipe fitting and is way too small for a 2". The guy at the plumbing supply was stumped
and said he has never seen a thread like this one. Since it was made in the 50's and the US I don't think it is some kind of Metric fitting. Does anyone have this keg and how did you make it work. I was just to verify the thread size so I could buy a Tri-clover conversion plate. for a 2" column.

Thanks Pat
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Bestco Keg

Post by greggn »

Photos often jar memories and fuel ideas.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
richard1
Novice

Post by richard1 »

A standard neck thread is 14TPI
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Warning....if it’s that old, it very likely is aluminum. Aluminum is not good for hot high proof alcohol as it can leach into your spirit.

You’d be better off searching for a newer stainless keg...one that has a Sanke tap on it.

Incidently, old “barrel style” kegs like that are often used as fuel tanks on rat rods. That’s a better use for such a salvaged keg.

I guess you could use it to make a steam generator...a boiler for water only....since you’ve got it already. But I wouldn’t use it for a still boiler.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I have a nine imperial gallon and an eighteen imperial gallon keg that would be about that old and they are stainless.
(around 41 and 82 litres).

Geoff
The Baker
BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Post by BlackStrap »

Here's a trick an old timer showed me, to tell the difference between stainless keg and aluminum, when you can't do a side by side weight comparison... When making a stainless keg the rolled edges become work hardened and slightly magnetic along the rolled edge. Aluminum kegs will have no magnetization at all.

Another test would be to touch it with a spinning grinder wheel...Stainless Steel with spark Aluminum will not.
Most questions can be answered here http://homedistiller.org/ and here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

The one who cuts the firewood gets twice the warmth