I want to go all grain and I need spoon feeding

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

pickednick
Novice

I want to go all grain and I need spoon feeding

Post by pickednick »

I am new to distilling, cleaned up my still, made 4 x 16L ( 4.2 gal) birdwatcher mash, distilled 2 of them (one of them is for sacrificial run) and planning to distill other 2 of them in 2-3 days.

I started to this hobby 1 month ago. I am new.

And I wanted to start all grain whiskey , I bought 5 kg (11 lbs) of each cracked corn, rye, wheat, oat (with husk straight from farm) and barley from local feed supplier and order from internet. That is all I have about grains for now.

I can make malted barley at home I look about it in web but never tried.

Should I start with uncle jesse's sour mash ? Or can you recommend me a simple recipe from tried and true recipes? I've read most of them whiskey recipes at true and tried recipes. But as I read I become more confused. We need and introduction topic about starting all grain thing in this site.
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: I want to go all grain and I need spoon feeding

Post by Fiddleford »

to start off with all grain one needs malt which can be a tedious task to make but a rewarding one. You can also buy it; while I don't know resources to buy malt from I have dabbled in malting barley on my own terms with help from some old timers here

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=72224

I may not have given you a spoon feeding but I did give you a paper that really helped me out when starting malting, they are rather specific in what they describe from what I remember. I also did some explanations of my technique but they work for me and you need to find what works for you. I am not shy to share though if I have a fault someone will correct me.
Rye whisky rye whisky oh dont let me down
Gunna have me a drink then gambol around
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

Here are a few of the tried and true grain recipes listed from easiest to hardest IMHO.

Jimbo's Single Malt AG Recipe (malted barley) viewtopic.php?f=14&t=48650
NChooch's Carolina Bourbon (corn & malted barley) viewtopic.php?f=14&t=17750
Honey Bear Bourbon (corn, wheat malts, malted barleys) viewtopic.php?f=14&t=67346
Oat,Wheat,Rye Whiskey/whisky (oats, wheat, rye - 40% of wheat and rye is malted) viewtopic.php?f=14&t=62008

Since you don't have malted barley you will need to malt your own which isn't hard but probably not ideal for someone who hasn't done a grain mash yet. You could also use external enzymes instead of malted grains.

Do you have a mill to grind your grains?

When you say "straight from the farm" does your wheat look like the top part of the picture or bottom part?

You only want the berries (bottom) so you may need to spend time cleaning your grains before milling. It's the same for the other grains as you only want the berries.

You're going to need a way to separate the wart from the grains before they go into your boiler so do some reading up on different ways to accomplish this.

When reading the different all grain recipes take special note of temperatures used as this is paramount to grains and enzymes. You can't deviate from instructions and specific temps given.

You're sort of jumping in "all out". You might be better off getting your feet wet with grains by first doing a sugar wash flavored with corn but not relying on the corn for sugar content. That will give you experience with separating the liquid from the corn.

Next maybe try a single malt using only malted barley. I'd recommend your first real batch to purchase grains already milled so you get an idea what they should look like first time out. Basically learn to crawl before you walk and don't start out trying to run.
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
pickednick
Novice

Post by pickednick »

thanks for paper fiddlelord!

I don't have mill to grind them, but I will do it anyway at first maybe later I can buy mill.
My oats that I bought is like at the bottom one, raw grain with husks.
Thank you for your humble opinion about it cayars.
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

I use a handmill to grind powered by a hand drill but after a few hundred pounds things start to break
Rye whisky rye whisky oh dont let me down
Gunna have me a drink then gambol around
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

If you buy your malt from your LHBS they will mill it for you. You can also order from places like More Beer and they will too. Buy the Viking malt in 10lb bags and get free shipping over $59.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

pickednick wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:20 am I am new to distilling, cleaned up my still, made 4 x 16L ( 4.2 gal) birdwatcher mash, distilled 2 of them (one of them is for sacrificial run) and planning to distill other 2 of them in 2-3 days.

I started to this hobby 1 month ago. I am new.

And I wanted to start all grain whiskey , I bought 5 kg (11 lbs) of each cracked corn, rye, wheat, oat (with husk straight from farm) and barley from local feed supplier and order from internet. That is all I have about grains for now.

I can make malted barley at home I look about it in web but never tried.

Should I start with uncle jesse's sour mash ? Or can you recommend me a simple recipe from tried and true recipes? I've read most of them whiskey recipes at true and tried recipes. But as I read I become more confused. We need and introduction topic about starting all grain thing in this site.
pickednick, honestly I think you need to slow things down. I can understand your desire to get moving into AG but you haven't developed the skills yet that will let you be successful and make something half decent. Make no mistake, AG is a significant increase in effort, knowledge, and investment which can easily frustrate and be wasted.

I don't say this to dissuade or discourage you, only to suggest that you take the latter idea in your original post.
My recommendation, run a dozen generations of UJSM (since you have grains on hand) or other sugar washes. Learn some about fermentation, get used to managing the conditions which give you a clean result. Learn your still and understand how to make good cuts. Once you're comfortable there, gear up into AG.

GL and have fun

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I started out doing AG with Jimbo's Single Malt AG. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=48650

My first batch was a malted barley and my second was an all malted wheat. For both of them I mashed with the grains in a bag. Now a days I’d mash and ferment on the grain and squeeze after AF.

Once you start mashing corn there are a couple more steps because the corn is very thick and needs to be gelatinized for adequate starch conversion.

Jimbo’s AG is very easy though if you follow the directions and watch the temps.

Good luck!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

Have you tried dry or liquid malt extract? More expensive but the beer brewing industry has high quality barley, wheat, and possibly even rye extracts that skip the grain handling and give you converted grain sugars and flavors.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

give the whole oats to a horse and get you some steel cut or flaked from the grocer. you really don't want to be messing with whole oats in the husk, especially without a really good mill.

+2MM on jimbo's single malt and buying pre-milled all malt.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

If you have a good blender that can be used but it's hard to get consistency as you'll get everything from fine flour to "milled" to just cracked husks. Better than nothing but not ideal either.
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

ShineonCrazyDiamond's Honey Bear Bourbon is laid out nicely and made it easy for me when I first started all-grains. I had copied the whole recipe, and notated steps I was unsure of so I wouldn't get stuck on mash day. Notes like "at X°F, mix in the high temperature amylase; the thick corn porridge should get soupy," and "make sure malts only go in at this step." Just stuff like that. That way if I had a brain freeze on mash day, even the simplest things were notated and I wouldn't get stuck. It all went smoothly.

So Honey Bear Bourbon is not only delicious, but a good teacher as well.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

There is so much to learn, all of the advice above must seem overwhelming. While there certainly is no shortage of distillers willing to steer you in the right direction, all-grain requires understanding of many properties/reactions on multiple levels. Simply being spoonfed a set of instructions would be a disservice to you.

Your best bet for success is to first familiarize yourself with the basics of homebrewing. This should help. Along the way you will learn about things like attenuation, enzymes, pH, water, yeast, etc. The list of Tried and true recipes also describe the distilling processes that occur following a successful mash and ferment.

To be honest, the task of tutoring you on all of this would be enormous, and the foundation of this forum has always been for you to reserve any questions only for those items you are not able to understand after reading through the material.

Kudos to you for stepping into the all-grain arena. It's gonna take some time and a lot of reading to understand the how's and why's, but you only have to learn it once. When I started brewing I went all-in by doing a full mash and everything worked out, and so can you if you know what to expect.

Best of luck to you!
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

You might have some reading here, too.

har druckit för mycket
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor