More than likely a really half baked idea

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Donaldo
Novice

More than likely a really half baked idea

Post by Donaldo »

Ok, folks here is the craziest half-a$$ed idea you have ever seen.
A 60" stack @3" = 424 cu.in.
A 60" stack @1" = 106 cu.in.
So I would need 4 sticks of 1" to carry the volume of 3" stack of the same length.
Given that 1" copper is a lot more available than 3", what are the chances something this left field would even work?

Yes, I am talking about running 4 or 5 stacks of 1" copper. Also, I would use copper packing.
Not even Ares battles against necessity.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: More than likely a really half baked idea

Post by NZChris »

The vapor will tend to take the path with the least resistance, so the packing would need to be well balanced.
Donaldo
Novice

Post by Donaldo »

Ahh,
Very good point. Note taken, and thank you.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Could work.. but certainly not using copper packing or something like it, cause 1" pipe would be very difficult to pack evenly.. maybe very small lave rocks, smaller than pea size work probably work..

Plus I don't think 60" length would be required, something more in line like 4 - 4.5'..

Another point.. I can see the take off off the boiler, but building a reflux condenser that would work properly.. maybe a setup similar to a concentric, the pipes end up into a vapour throat style with a condenser..

A 3" reducer with a 2" vapour throat.. ? ? ?

Just my two cent as a builder of different units..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Donaldo
Novice

Post by Donaldo »

Thanks Mars
I think I am going to try this build in a few weeks.
Gathering ideas, thoughts, materials, and guts.

6 1" 60" long stacks. I'll use plates at top,middle, and bottom to hold everything in line and help with heat normalization across the pipes. I will try copper packing first and when is just does not work, I'll jump back here and admit I am a stubborn newb.
Crossing fingers...
Donaldo
Novice

Post by Donaldo »

Thanks Mars
I think I am going to try this build in a few weeks.
Gathering ideas, thoughts, materials, and guts.

6 1" 60" long stacks. I'll use plates at top,middle, and bottom to hold everything in line and help with heat normalization across the pipes. I will try copper packing first and when is just does not work, I'll jump back here and admit I am a stubborn newb.
Crossing fingers...
Donaldo
Novice

Post by Donaldo »

Heya Mars,
What are your thoughts on only needing 4 to 4.5 feet?
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Donaldo wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:34 pm What are your thoughts on only needing 4 to 4.5 feet?
Being that both my 2" and 3" are only 36" in length, packed with lava rocks give me 95 easily at over 2 L and 3L per hr take off rate in the body section..

So I can not see why it would be needed to have 5' column.. 4' would probably still be on the long side.. 5' requires lot of space off the boiler, and don't like use a step ladder..

I do know how vapour behave in 1.5" column, but don't have any idea what a 1" is like.. so 4 x 1 may end up not much better than a 2".. don't know on that..

Do you have an idea what concentric vapour throat body is.. ? ?

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Multi tube towers have been done before...a waste of copper. As noted, the flows don’t balance and results in uneven fractionation, that is, the reflux ratios in the tubes aren’t the same so the output is a sloppy mix of poorly stacked volatiles.

If you’re trying for throughput of vapor (high production rate), then the large diameter is worth the investment. But six 1” tubes (4.7 sq.in. flow area) does not equal the capacity of a single 3” tube (7 sq.in. flow area). And typical height to diameter ratio for columns is 20:1 to 25:1 for reflux stacking.

Multi tube columns are nothing more than a novelty. But you certainly can try it...it’s your money.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

I have seen photos of a couple of commercial stills built on your design but no mention how they worked. Looking forward to hearing how yours performs.
Gatling Still Works.jpg
Gatling Still Turning Point.jpg
Gatling Still Turning Point.jpg (13.13 KiB) Viewed 1789 times
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Donaldo
Novice

Post by Donaldo »

Yeah, I am leaning into what you folks are saying.

If you are going spend the money, do it on what works.
Its not that much more, to get a 3" pipe. If you are getting 95%, then I can do the same.
Again, new to this game.

Lava rocks...
Have not heard of that before. I need to look into that.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Donaldo wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:20 pm Lava rocks...
Have not heard of that before. I need to look into that.
Lava rocks are very good as packing material.. the issue with them is size.. most people use the wrong size, so they don't get the performance they are looking for.. for 2" column they needs to be pea size or 1/4" or less.. for 3" column they need to be 1/4 - 3/8" size..

I have used both spp and lava rocks and still have both, and my preference is lava rocks.. reason they perform,are light and easy to handle.. spp are expensive, heavy, and a pain in the butt to handle..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
Donaldo
Novice

Post by Donaldo »

This is really good stuff, Mars.
Thanks for your time on this.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you're not in a hurry, keep an eye on what your local scrappy has in his copper bin. I picked up 5' of 3" copper at scrap prices on a recent visit. Bribe him to give you a call if he finds something interesting.
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

Donaldo wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:23 pm Ok, folks here is the craziest half-a$$ed idea you have ever seen.
A 60" stack @3" = 424 cu.in.
A 60" stack @1" = 106 cu.in.
So I would need 4 sticks of 1" to carry the volume of 3" stack of the same length.
Given that 1" copper is a lot more available than 3", what are the chances something this left field would even work?

Yes, I am talking about running 4 or 5 stacks of 1" copper. Also, I would use copper packing.
I don't think your calculations are correct. At 5 foot:
3"= 424.11 cu. in. or 1.83599 gallons
2" = 188.5 cu. in. or 0.81600 gallons
1" = 47.12 cu. in. or 0.20400 gallons
So you would need 9 1" tubes to equal the volume of the 3" tube at the same length.
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

Shotgun column! It sounds like a lot of extra work but I am eager to bear witness to it here on the forum. Do you have solid welding and/or soldering skills? You'll need a decent amount of it top and bottom. If you're already bundling those pipes in a layout, you might as well sheathe the top bit and then you can use that sheathed portion as a permanently installed dephlegmator.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Hahahahaha. Halfbaked ideas. Hahahha
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Funny I was going to mention you heheeehhee