Liquid malt extract for cheap

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

850stealth
Swill Maker

Liquid malt extract for cheap

Post by 850stealth »

So i was just informed from a friend of mine that a home brewing store close to home is closing down and he can get some stuff very cheap. He said he will be able to get the cans of liquid malt extract , the 3.3lb ones for about $5.00 Canadian and some larger jugs as well. Is this stuff any good for making a whiskey drink? im assuming the conversion to sugar is all done but id have no idea how much to use per 50 liter ferment. The price is right if its any good.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Liquid malt extract for cheap

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

It would make an excellent whiskey.

It's been so long since I made beer, I dont remember any of the conversion rates.

But a quick HD Google search will answer the question in no time.
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

The price is surely right.. a friend of my who own a bs pays, his cost, 12$ a can, so at 5$ it's a steal..

As to their conversion, 1 can plus, I don't know for sure, but I think it was 2 lbs dextrose to make a 5 gal of beer.. so that where I would start.. and there must be others who have used it or tried it for whiskey making.. just google and see..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
jimmayhugh
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jimmayhugh »

The LME I regularly use has a ppg of 1.035, which means that a pound of syrup added to a gallon of water will have a SG of 1.035. It's an additive process, so each additional pound of extract added to that gallon of water will increase the SG by 0.035.

The ppg is normally somewhere on the container, if not just measure out 1lb of the extract, add it to a gallon of water, and take a hydrometer reading.

You might want to make sure that the LME is not pre-hopped, as that would add some interesting flavors to your distillate that you may not want.
850stealth
Swill Maker

Post by 850stealth »

I will do some research. Not sure if sugar needs to be added to get the SG up or keep adding LME until it's high enough , but that may be to much flavor.
850stealth
Swill Maker

Post by 850stealth »

jimmayhugh wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:48 am The LME I regularly use has a ppg of 1.035, which means that a pound of syrup added to a gallon of water will have a SG of 1.035. It's an additive process, so each additional pound of extract added to that gallon of water will increase the SG by 0.035.

The ppg is normally somewhere on the container, if not just measure out 1lb of the extract, add it to a gallon of water, and take a hydrometer reading.

You might want to make sure that the LME is not pre-hopped, as that would add some interesting flavors to your distillate that you may not want.
I will have a look when I go in and see what the cans say. There are all different flavors too I guess, wheat, light, dark, amber, etc. I have some reading to do.
jimmayhugh
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jimmayhugh »

850stealth wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:51 am I will do some research. Not sure if sugar needs to be added to get the SG up or keep adding LME until it's high enough , but that may be to much flavor.
When I make a batch, I add 30 lbs of extract to 10 gal of filtered water, mix and aerate it with a paint mixer on my power drill and pitch the yeast. I also add some glucoamylase to break down some of the unfermentable sugars in the wash and up the SG slightly. I use a 15.5 gal beer keg as my fermentor, and normally get about 12gal of wash at 9% to 10% ABV.

I use a LME that's 20% Rye, and have gotten nothing but compliments from friends that have tried it.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

$5 is a steal since all of the work has been done for you. The flavor profile of whatever is in the can is fixed, but you can add it to grain mash to adjust the final flavor to your liking. Just remember the enzymes in the extract are destroyed in its manufacture and won't convert any starches. You'll need more enzymes for that.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
850stealth
Swill Maker

Post by 850stealth »

jimmayhugh wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:47 am
850stealth wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:51 am I will do some research. Not sure if sugar needs to be added to get the SG up or keep adding LME until it's high enough , but that may be to much flavor.
When I make a batch, I add 30 lbs of extract to 10 gal of filtered water, mix and aerate it with a paint mixer on my power drill and pitch the yeast. I also add some glucoamylase to break down some of the unfermentable sugars in the wash and up the SG slightly. I use a 15.5 gal beer keg as my fermentor, and normally get about 12gal of wash at 9% to 10% ABV.

I use a LME that's 20% Rye, and have gotten nothing but compliments from friends that have tried it.
That's alot, 30 lbs, I didnt think it would take that much. I guess its still expensive compared to making rum or a cereal wash. I usually strip 3 washes then do a spirit run. At regular price it probably wouldn't be worth it.
I'll need to check and see if the home brew shop sells the enzyme too.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

A friend of mine uses LME to make whiskey
If I remember correctly the recipe uses 1-1/2 pounds per gallon of LME and Nottingham Ale yeast.
850stealth
Swill Maker

Post by 850stealth »

I just checked and they will have lots off the Briess golden light LME which is a 100% pure malted barley. They will also have the same stuff but in a 65% wheat and 35% barley. I've been reading and I guess it's all personal preference but would this be better stripped and run through 4 plates for a spirit run or just a single run through a plated column? I'm not sure how much flavor will carry over, this is all new to me. The price seems right so I may try it.
850stealth
Swill Maker

Post by 850stealth »

I didn't get a chance to go myself but a friend of mine got me a 60 pound bucket of LME light 100% barley un-hopped. Got it for 20.00 CDN. I'll be able to get more too. Now I guess its research time because I dont want to screw this up.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

850stealth wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:32 pm I didn't get a chance to go myself but a friend of mine got me a 60 pound bucket of LME light 100% barley un-hopped. Got it for 20.00 CDN. I'll be able to get more too. Now I guess its research time because I dont want to screw this up.
Giving this thread a bump to try and find out how that bucket of LME worked out for you?
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Yeah, I'm curious too!
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

I use two 1.5 kg cans of LME per 8 litre wash - M1 yeast and water – for voodoo I sometimes include small amounts of Vegemite and/or Epsom Salts.
Sometimes the dark or pale or caramalt or wheat or in any combination.

not cheap.

shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=83594

For folks that have small stills and want to make whisky.
LME is a great and almost fool proof option. :thumbup:
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

‘almost fool proof’ and in that LME mimics molasses.

For cheap the budget conscious can do half-malt half-sugar – using a dark malt with sugar makes a nice sip – and sometimes I have strangely preferred the half-malt to the full-malt.

rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

shadylane wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:55 pm viewtopic.php?f=11&t=83594

Looks like Gluco amylase was the recommended way to knock down some of the unfermentables from what I see on that thread.

Question: if you don't have any gluco on hand, methinks the Yellow Label Angel yeast would work just as well???
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Kruegerfan
Novice

Post by Kruegerfan »

I've only seen this done once or twice on Youtube with decent results. I'm defo a noob as I've only ever really done all sugar washes and Birdwatchers.

Until I build my (very small by reading posts on here) 4 gallon still, I am forced to use the air still, so might try a couple of batches with LME to see what happens. Only thing is, it's super expensive here for some reason. Time to go on the hunt. LOL

Oh, and should also have some Angel yellow label arriving soon, so that might be a good little test before I try it on an all grain.
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

Kruegerfan wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:42 am
I am forced to use the air still, so might try a couple of batches with LME

I am not forced.. I use an Air Still for preference and consistency... an excellent tool for LME and molasses (cheaper than LME).
For sugar washes double the tomato paste.
Have not found any reason to consider ‘Angel yellow label’.

shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

rubberduck71 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:50 am
shadylane wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:55 pm viewtopic.php?f=11&t=83594

Looks like Gluco amylase was the recommended way to knock down some of the unfermentables from what I see on that thread.

Question: if you don't have any gluco on hand, methinks the Yellow Label Angel yeast would work just as well???
Most likely, since the angle yeast has enzymes mixed in.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Trapped-in-Oz wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:32 pm ‘almost fool proof’ and in that LME mimics molasses.
Mimic: verb (used with object), cop·ied, cop·y·ing.
to make a copy of; transcribe; reproduce:

They are both sticky goo that shouldnt be dropped on the floor, the similarity ends there, two very different products used to make two very different spirits.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

LME and molasses look the same, but I figure yeast prefers the LME.
On a side note, my great grandson also prefers LME over molasses.
Molasses is a byproduct of making sugar.
LME is made to make yeast happy. :ewink:
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:59 pm

They are both sticky goo that shouldnt be dropped on the floor

‘almost fool proof’ – both come ready packaged, open the container, pour (the hard part when fools hit the floor)….... then add water, don’t forget to stir and remember the yeast.
works for LME and molasses.

mimic: to ridicule by imitation.
Kruegerfan
Novice

Post by Kruegerfan »

Trapped-in-Oz wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:41 am
Kruegerfan wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:42 am
I am forced to use the air still, so might try a couple of batches with LME

I am not forced.. I use an Air Still for preference and consistency... an excellent tool for LME and molasses (cheaper than LME).
For sugar washes double the tomato paste.
Have not found any reason to consider ‘Angel yellow label’.

Thanks TIO. Nice tip on the tomato paste. Hadn't seen that before. I'm a whisky guy, so won't be using molasses. Seen a couple of good threads on here in regard to using the air still and have used the advice. Copper coins in the pot, copper mesh in the vapor path and in the spout etc. Doesn't really make a great deal of difference in my opinion. Any tips you have for getting a bit better quality out of this little bugger before I get around to building my own still?

Any input is obviously appreciated.

Thanks again
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

Kruegerfan wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:54 pm
Copper coins in the pot, copper mesh in the vapor path and in the spout etc. Doesn't really make a great deal of difference in my opinion.

coins in pot and mesh up the spout omg !
you need something like this….. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=83326&p=7666832#p7666832

I am also a whiskey person but as molasses rum is so easy..........

shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

LME whiskey is even easier and more fool proof the molasses rum.
There's everything yeast needs in LME.
Not as much in molasses.
The proof is in the fermentation time and final gravity. :ewink:
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

shadylane wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:36 pm LME whiskey is even easier and more fool proof the molasses rum.
There's everything yeast needs in LME.
Not as much in molasses.
The proof is in the fermentation time and final gravity. :ewink:

not sure I agree with your findings……. LME is more likely to puke and molasses is more consistent on the palate.
I cheat and add some tomato paste to the molasses and is done dry quicker than the LME.

Kruegerfan
Novice

Post by Kruegerfan »

Trapped-in-Oz wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:18 pm
Kruegerfan wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:54 pm
Copper coins in the pot, copper mesh in the vapor path and in the spout etc. Doesn't really make a great deal of difference in my opinion.

coins in pot and mesh up the spout omg !
you need something like this….. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=83326&p=7666832#p7666832

I am also a whiskey person but as molasses rum is so easy..........

Thanks TIO. Looks interesting. Not sure there would be any natural reflux there as the basket and plate are literally inches away from the high temperature wash. You may be lucky and get minor drippings back into the pot, but I imagine it would have very little effect, if any at all.

Might have a go with molasses and see what happens. I'm defo at the experimenting stage, and although I do want to try an all grain mash, I am not too confident with mash temperatures etc. despite copious reading and youtube video watching. I also have really basic equipment in the form of 3 ordinary homebrew fermenters and no heating apparatus to keep a constant mash temperature for any length of time. That's why I opted to try the Angel yellow label yeast as it converts starches while it ferments, and all at room temperature. The thread on here about that makes for good reading, and looks like most have achieved really good results without going through the trouble of properly mashing grains. A godsend of yeast and enzyme sorcery by the look of things. LOL

Also, the only reasonably priced molasses here is from animal feed stores etc. Would that be ok to use? If not, might need to opt for black treacle instead. I guess that's the equivalent of molasses here, and apparently will produce a slightly sweeter flavour, so might give it a go
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

Trapped-in-Oz wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:54 pm LME is more likely to puke and molasses is more consistent on the palate.
Never worked with LME, given my experience with mollases it would mean LME pukes twice per stripping run
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman