If you have been here more than 1 year.

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tabucowboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

If you have been here more than 1 year.

Post by Tabucowboy »

So If you have been on this site more than 1 year and have not donated to help keep the site running. You need to fork over at least $5 to help them keep all the good information they provide running with out a cost to moderators or owners.
CM Reflux Still -- Copper mesh 16" ,column 31" tall, dia. 2",temp at boiler,top of column, power - PAC w5500w Element
Pot Still -- Copper mesh 16",column, 23" tall dia. 2", temp at boiler, power - PAC w5500w Element
Tabucowboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: If you have been here more than 1 year.

Post by Tabucowboy »

I have been here 4 months and have donated twice. you don't have to give a lot just some.
CM Reflux Still -- Copper mesh 16" ,column 31" tall, dia. 2",temp at boiler,top of column, power - PAC w5500w Element
Pot Still -- Copper mesh 16",column, 23" tall dia. 2", temp at boiler, power - PAC w5500w Element
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

If this wisdom and entertainment isn’t worth a few dollars to you, you’re in the wrong place friends.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

I get what the message is, but this sort of defeats the purpose of the website being a free recourse for anyone to use.
I plan on donating here but I cannot afford to lose a dime on non necessities. I would hate to see this become a pay to get in sort of deal.
Rye whisky rye whisky oh dont let me down
Gunna have me a drink then gambol around
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
WidowMaker
Novice

Post by WidowMaker »

come on, donation is for someone to give, if he wants to. do not start asking to donate. and anyways, hosting services are kinda cheap these days, to host a board like this, should not be more than 5$/mo.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Plus DNS, certificates, monitoring, backups, upgrades, support, responding to outages, and so on. Even a free site isn't free.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

bilgriss wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:30 am Plus DNS, certificates, monitoring, backups, upgrades, support, responding to outages, and so on. Even a free site isn't free.
AMEN!!
I ran some "free sites" for a decade, nothing free about it on Uncle Jesse's end of things.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Sent you a few bucks, Jesse, thank you for this incredible resource!
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
WidowMaker
Novice

Post by WidowMaker »

bilgriss wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:30 am Plus DNS, certificates, monitoring, backups, upgrades, support, responding to outages, and so on. Even a free site isn't free.
this is not facebook, which requires something like that daily/monthly with employees. :D what do you mean with monitoring? having auto backups, upgrading version is nothing major. responding to outages is datacenter problem, not site admins.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Yep, everything should be free!
Music, movies, college education...
Doesn’t cost anything to turn on YouTube.

Uncle Jesse has always offered up the site for free, without advertising. Nobody will shame anyone for donating or not.
But, suggesting that HD has little value and isn’t worry of support is a bit much.
Last edited by MichiganCornhusker on Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Where's that donate button again....

Found it! Thanks Dave and crew.

Thanks for the reminder. I see us as a community of family. Got to keep the roof over our head, and keep the door salesman out. :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Amen, SCD. :thumbup:
ROD01
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ROD01 »

Zombie resurrection!!!
Ashamed I never donated till now
This site has saved me countless dollars and given so much enjoyment .
It never hurts to remind people of the donation button!
Who can't pay the price of a store bought mickie for all the help here
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Nothing in this world is free. Hell, my time is more expensive than anything else. The amount of information available here is well worth more than a 5 spot! We’ve all spent plenty of money on our hobby. Think of the donation as a small expense of making great hooch, safely and efficiently.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
RedMick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RedMick »

Is there a minimum donation in order to be accredited with the site donor mark ?
Not sure
Bootlegger

Post by Not sure »

I donated a little will donate more in a few weeks I've read here without being a member for years now but I finally joined
Stainless pot with copper shotgun I'm a simple kind of guy
stillness
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillness »

Rough quote from a web dev on another forum (HN), "You need to remember that internet sites only exist to sell advertising space"

And another, "The internet you see is not the internet others see. You are playing your first chess game against a machine that has A&B tested a 1000 of you already today."

I see HD as stand up member of the shrinking number of sites that don't generate revenue through adds. No shitty algorithms showing the latest sensation tailored to me, no instant playing of the next thread, click here for scandal on controller build parts.

HD's a thing of beauty. And I'm glad the community sees value in supporting it.
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

stillness wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:25 amI see HD as stand up member of the shrinking number of sites that don't generate revenue through adds. No shitty algorithms showing the latest sensation tailored to me, no instant playing of the next thread, click here for scandal on controller build parts.
Yes, too many good sites have died from the increase of Facebook Groups, which become just a buy and sell site, which kills the discussion.

Well worth the money. And no, it is not incredibly expensive to run the sites, but who has extra cash to do so out of their own goodness of their heart? Further to that, extra money in my experience gets used all the time.
RedMick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RedMick »

I made a donation a few weeks ago by clicking on the PP link and it's been refunded. Anyone know why ??
Mashable
Novice

Post by Mashable »

Donated, this site has saved me a ton so far, and equally cost me a small fortune with all the ideas!!!
Cabron99
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Cabron99 »

Take another one. This is one of my first stops in the AM to get my day going! Thanks UJ!!
"Life is too short for cheap cigars"
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Cabron99 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:02 am Take another one. This is one of my first stops in the AM to get my day going! Thanks UJ!!
Last I read at night. Huh. Maybe why many of my posts are incoherent.... :roll:
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
BigJames
Novice

Post by BigJames »

I just sent $5. I’ll try to get into the habit of donating a little more often. Thanks for all the great information on the site
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

RedMick wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:22 pm I made a donation a few weeks ago by clicking on the PP link and it's been refunded. Anyone know why ??
certainly will ask.

as for badges, only UJ can make that jacket gold. sometimes it takes a while but he gets around to it.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
RedMick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RedMick »

RedMick wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:22 pm I made a donation a few weeks ago by clicking on the PP link and it's been refunded. Anyone know why ??
Still don't know why it was refunded.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

RedMick wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:20 pm RedMick wrote: ↑
Tue May 18, 2021 7:22 am
I made a donation a few weeks ago by clicking on the PP link and it's been refunded. Anyone know why ??
Uncle Jess has been informed, at this stage it seems it may have just been a glitch as others who have tried have not had the same problem.
Its suggested that you try again. If you have further problems let us know so that it can be looked into more thoroughly.
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

Post by Hybrid pot still »

I haven't been here a year, but reading everything above, this site has helped me alot and meet some new ppl so far in the same hobby, which is none here around me, everything i learnt up to the point of finding this site, was self taught pretty much besides knowing about the process of evaporation and condensation, lost alot in the process of learning, quit a time or two for a little bit cause got fed up and wasted some money lol.. started reading more then found this site, i read alot more then joined after the things i read about helped me move forward...im thankful for this site and i will be donating before the end of this month. Thanks guys for all your help and knowledge.
RedMick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RedMick »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:10 pm
RedMick wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:20 pm RedMick wrote: ↑
Tue May 18, 2021 7:22 am
Uncle Jess has been informed, at this stage it seems it may have just been a glitch as others who have tried have not had the same problem.
Its suggested that you try again. If you have further problems let us know so that it can be looked into more thoroughly.
Thanks SB. Just sent it again.
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

That's a good point there, just got back from the hardware store and commented how $7 per 2" airlocks (PVC, ping-pong ball) is one of my cheapest Spirit Trip to said store yet, so seems like a good chance to donate some.

I do greatly appreciate all the assistance and recipes on this forum!
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Yup way back when they ask a hole bunch of questions

So I'm tole