My first build would like input

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MAGAman
Novice

My first build would like input

Post by MAGAman »

So I’m almost done with my first build. I’d like input from experienced distillers but please keep it nice. So tired of forums, facebook, whatever where people feel the need to ridicule, bash, criticize etc instead of being helpful. Ok that said I’d like to know if you think it will work fine, or if there’s something I should’ve done better with let me know. I used a 40L (10 gal) milk can new, 3” column,
(24” bottom, 8” dephlegmator , 10” head) , vapor port is
1.25” , condenser is 2” shotgun with (3) .5” tubes inside reduced to 1/4” going into the parrot.
EB01614D-B8A3-4557-AA10-3E7879D77084.jpeg
18EB26C1-7B3B-4687-A962-63CAC74E6A21.jpeg
ViceGripson
Novice

Re: My first build would like input

Post by ViceGripson »

Nice looking rig! Should run a vinegar/cleaning run to test it out. Are you cooling with recirc pump separate for dephleg? What are you using for packing?
In modern times, it's like Jesus brought a keg into the wedding on his shoulder and said "let's keep the party going"
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Looks like you need to vent the parrot. Pics are hard to see any detail.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

All copper is nice. I would use a triclamp union for the shotgun and parrot so you can clean it all and you’ll need a vent for the parrot too if there isn’t one. What are you heating it with?

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Very nice build . I like to put a support stand under my condensers. They gain a bunch of weight when they are full of water.
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

My building skills are not very strong but it looks great to me! I second supporting the condenser, I fitted up a 2x4 L for mine so it wouldn't put pressure on the other connections.
MAGAman
Novice

Post by MAGAman »

Thanks guys. Yes I do need to vent the parrot. Found that out the hard way lol. I was thinking of venting it out at the 2”- 1/4” reducer at the bottom of the condenser. I’m heating it with a PID and heater element. And yes I ordered a Union for taking off the condenser for cleaning and stuff but haven’t got it yet.
malt_gt_milton
Novice

Post by malt_gt_milton »

Looks like a fine start on your rig. I like the 3" column; wish I hadn't that way, instead if a 2", I'd be interested to hear if you have ideas on where to get 3" copper for less than a mortgage payment.
ViceGripson wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:32 pm What are you using for packing?
:?:...?

I have a PID controller also (Mypin TD4) which I now use in manual (PWM) mode. You will probably discover why for yourself in time like I did. Not all PIDs support a manual mode tho; fortunately the Mypin TD4 does so I lucked out there.

Any chance your handle stands for Make All-Grain for All MANkind? (ok, i'll shut up my mug, if you fill up my jug...) :wave:

mgtm
And malt does more than Milton can
To justify God’s ways to man. — A. E. Housman (1859–1936)
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Telling people why a PID is the wrong tool for the wrong job seems to be an endless process around here lately.
malt_gt_milton
Novice

Post by malt_gt_milton »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:31 pm Telling people why a PID is the wrong tool for the wrong job seems to be an endless process around here lately.
Didn't fully appreciate the importance of such advice either Saltbush, until my intuitions caught up with my aspirations. Controlling heat not temperature is like a lot of things that makes perfect sense once you twist knobs for awhile, but somehow counter-intuitive on the written page.

Like flying airplanes. New pilots think the elevator controls altitude and the throttle controls speed. Experienced pilots know its the reverse.

mgtm
And malt does more than Milton can
To justify God’s ways to man. — A. E. Housman (1859–1936)
MAGAman
Novice

Post by MAGAman »

I’m new to PIDs so I may use manual. On the clean out run it seemed to only produce distillate when the element kicked on. ???? We’ll see. I’m going to use some copper packing and maybe some marbles. Depends what I can find. Does anyone know if the Raschig rings you can buy at a pet store would work? And no that’s not what MAGA stands for. It stands for enough with career politicians. Who’s deregulating shit?? Name me someone on the last 50 years that’s deregulated? Lol.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

MAGAman wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:47 pm On the clean out run it seemed to only produce distillate when the element kicked on. ????
Why do you think that happen...
MAGAman wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:47 pm I’m going to use some copper packing and maybe some marbles. Depends what I can find.
Is that how you've done the research on packing.. on a 24" column, what do you think it will be able to do..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
MAGAman
Novice

Post by MAGAman »

I don’t know stillerboy why don’t you tell me instead of trying to sound like a dickhead. If you want to give advice I’ll take it. It’s the novice page. If you want an ego boost then I can’t help you. But I can’t stand people that are condescending. Do you want to help or do you want to make yourself look smart? I made distillate out of a couple old bottles of stuff laying around on this. So someone like you isn’t going to deter me from moving forward and learning.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Let's not let this thread get political or bickering. I'll kill the thread very quickly afterward.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Maga you have built a pot still, you can pack it all you like with what ever you like , it wont help,,,,,its a pot still , not a reflux still. The only reason to pack a pot still is if it is made of stainless steel, in that case they need some copper packing in the riser part to try to help with sulfide removal.
That is one thing yours has going for it ,,,its all copper so no packing needed.
MAGAman wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:47 pm I’m new to PIDs so I may use manual. On the clean out run it seemed to only produce distillate when the element kicked on. ????
And that is exactly why PIDS SHOULD NOT BE USED to run boilers. You can not have the heat going on and off all the time ..it has to be constant and even......you have no control over the boiling point of what is in the boiler.......NONE!
Here is a long list of topics dealing with this very subject.....suggest you work your way through at least some of it.
It would do all other newbies who read this who think PIDs are a good idea to spend a few hundred hours reading from theses posts too.
app.php/googlesearch?cx=012980085383122 ... itesearch=
You need to scroll past the first 3-4 google search results. To get to the HD PID stuff
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Put simply.
You don't want to chase a set temperature. Vapor temp is the effect, not the cause.

You put power into the boiler. No matter if it's a wood or gas flame or electric element.

The wash will boil at whatever temp the mix of components in the wash will allow it to boil.

What you need is vapor production. Throw lots of power at the boiler, you get lots of vapor. Throw just enough to keep a light boil and you get a little vapor.

Distillation is about managing vapor behaviour.

You run a pot still. Run it hard and there will be smearing. Run it slow and you'll get less. Pot stills smear because they're an inefficient design. But that's an advantage in flavored spirits.
If your pid decides the target vapor temp is reached it cuts power to the boiler. So no vapor production.
You need even power to get steady vapor production. Vapor temps will gradually rise throughout the run.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Nice explaination :thumbup:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

MAGAman wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:47 pm I’m new to PIDs so I may use manual. On the clean out run it seemed to only produce distillate when the element kicked on. ????
We already knew that years ago. That's why old hands at the game don't use PIDS to control elements.

Who told you that using a PID to control a still element was a good idea?
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:34 pm Nice explaination :thumbup:
:thumbup: agreed!
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
MAGAman
Novice

Post by MAGAman »

PID controls you can argue all day long are not what YOU would use. If you don’t want to use one then fine. Don’t use one. I’ve seen the technology work in other places besides stills. It’s not rocket science it works. If you take the cover off your still after it’s shut down and there’s no heat source so you see steam rising out? YES of course you do. I just need to dial in the right the heating element size to pot ratio and it’ll work like a charm. Seeing all the guys on here want to bash people because they don’t do things their way I’ll throw one back at you. Maybe you just can’t figure out how to use one? Ever think of that? Wow what a bunch of A holes on this forum. I’ve read lots of posts and anytime someone thinks they’re the authority on anything they bash the shit of them. Admin how many times do you have to shut threads down on here? A lot I’d bet. Thanks for the input but I’ll figure it out on my own. And to the butt wad who said it’s a pot still I guess all the people selling reflux stills that look the same as mine are falsely selling their stills under the wrong name?? What an Asshole
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Good bye Maga.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."