10 gal run?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Thunderfunk
Novice

10 gal run?

Post by Thunderfunk »

What is the normal return on a 10 gal run?? .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: 10 gal run?

Post by Saltbush Bill »

10 Gal run of what , low wines , wash ? You going to have to give more information than that to get an accurate answer.
smokeybowls
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by smokeybowls »

My experience with a 5gallon wash at 1.090 gravity yields close to half a gallon . So assuming your target is 1.090 you should get close to a gallon . Being new to this hobby we have to realize there are so many variables that go into this process . Your question is missing some valuable information for getting an appropriate answer. As you lurk around the forum you will see that the more info you provide, like your process and data points the pros will be able to provide you with great answers . This is just a suggestion from one novice to another novice . Just trying to save you some trouble ,and help out get the answers you are looking for . Please correct me if I'm out of line.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

I try to get 1.065 on all my ferments. A 15 gallon keg full, maybe 13 or so gallons with head room, gets me about 3 gallons of low wines. So a 45 gallon ferment gets me about 9 gallons or so. A couple gallons of water added to that, and I have a full keg charge of low wines. When I run that, I get about a gallon of keeps at 60 %.

Now, many here will probably echo their results up to the keeps part. Lots of people say they get 2 or 3 times what I keep. But that's why it is so hard to tell you what you will get. There's alot of preference and judgement calls in this hobby. It's why I call it an art, and not a skill.

So the only question that matters is how much you get from a 10 gallon run. You'll probably get about 2 gallons of low wines, and maybe 1/2 a gallon to a gallon of keeps when you run it again. But then again only you can really tell us that.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."