Buying used whisky barrels?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

dragon613
Novice

Buying used whisky barrels?

Post by dragon613 »

I like aging my spirits on wood and glass storage vessels are relatively expensive for moderately large quantities, so ive been thinking about buying a used whiskey barrel to store/age in, I don't make very much at once but I figure I could just add to the barrel from run to run, letting the average age in the barrel slowly increase, and have storage space to spare so I'm not in a pinch for empty jars to collect a run

I'm lucky enough to have a used barrel distributor local to me but..

Looking at their site they sell quite a lot of "furniture" (cabinets stools and endtables, ect) made from cut up barrels, and halves/ heads, for craftmaking, but they do mention Homebrew storage on their site under uses, I'm just concerned if I buy 1 barrel, it might be a crapshoot as to its condition and or fluid tightness

I haven't contacted them yet but Im hoping since they have a local distribution center that I could go pick one out in person, but ive never bought a barrel before, and don't really know what I need to be looking for in terms of blemishes or defects beyond the totally obvious

Any advice?
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Buying used whisky barrels?

Post by jonnys_spirit »

What size barrel are you thinking and what are their prices? You can probably save a good amount on shipping. What's the website?

Ask them about leaks and char/toast levels and maybe what was in it previously.

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I'm blessed with a local distillery that sells their once used 5 gallon Barrel Mill barrels for $50. They're usually still wet after emptying, and you can pick from their available used stock to find a barrel you like.
Look around for a micro distillery that has a barrel club and ask what they do with the barrels the club members don't want to keep. Most here don't want them.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Deplorable if you can get them for $50.00 I would like to get one. Just curious where in the PNW they are located
dragon613
Novice

Post by dragon613 »

The website (if Im allowed to post) is sunshinebarrels.com the price listed for their used whiskey or wine barrels is $99 and they only have commercial sized used barrels (as they put it " once used and fresh dumped") I shouldn't have to pay for shipping at all, I'm close enough to drive to their warehouse, for shipping orders they estimate $50-$100 a piece depending on quantity, sounds like a good deal I just want to make sure I don't pay for one that leaks and wind up having to bust it up for staves
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Bushman wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:29 pm Deplorable if you can get them for $50.00 I would like to get one. Just curious where in the PNW they are located
98022. I actually helped out Twisted and shipped him one on his dime. Call Pursuit Distillery. They will not ship them, walk in customers only. Ask Twisted what he thinks of his barrel.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

dragon613 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:40 pm they only have commercial sized used barrels
Can you really fill a 53 gallon barrel???
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
dragon613
Novice

Post by dragon613 »

Not in a single run, or even a dozen, but over the course of a year, probably close, I'd rather spend $100 on a 53 gallon barrel and have all the likker storage I'd ever need (plus oak aging) than spend it on 3 glass carboys at the brewery shop, break one, and then be hurting for distillate safe storage in 6 months again, plus if I want, I could use it to blend up a fortified wine if I have an exceptionally flavorfull cuvee in the next 6 months, just thought of that but now it seems like a really good idea, I have a barrel of fresh guava thats ready to be sampled, :think:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Deplorable wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:34 pm
Bushman wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:29 pm Deplorable if you can get them for $50.00 I would like to get one. Just curious where in the PNW they are located
98022. I actually helped out Twisted and shipped him one on his dime. Call Pursuit Distillery. They will not ship them, walk in customers only. Ask Twisted what he thinks of his barrel.
PM sent.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Not trying to dissuade you, but here is a little perspective.
I'm currently working on a 5 gallon barrel filling project.i have a 13 gallon still. So my working capacity is really about 10 gallons. I ferment 23 gallons at a time in a 32 gallon Brute, giving me two 10 gallon stripping runs. Each ferment takes 8 days, and my keeper yeild is about 10% of what I started with. So it will take no less that three ferments, 6 stripping runs and 3 spirit runs more likely there will be a fourth half batch.
I started this project two weeks ago tomorrow. If I dont miss a beat, I'll bung that barrel around November 15th. So figure two months to make 5 gallons. Multiply that time 10 to fill a 53 gallon barrel. By the time you think you'll have it filled, the angels will have stolen much of your labor, and you'll never fill it.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Bushman,

I can't express how stoked I am to receive this barrel. It weighs in at a hefty 31lbs and was manufactured 2 years ago today. It reeks of quality and craftsmanship (its difficult to locate the seams between staves) and is begging to be filled. I just so happened to have squeezed my 6th and final bourbon ferment today so once its cleared and stripped I will have 16gal of low wines to work with for this baby (and few gal left over for sipping white).

A giant thank you to Deplorable for his generosity and taking the time to do this. A true gentleman.

Here's a teaser .
IMG_8045.jpg
IMG_8044.jpg
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Thanks I sent Deplorable a PM and it turns out I have relatives in the area so will definitely check into it. Thanks for sharing the pictures TB.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

TB has been a good resource as I venture into the AG world as a new Distiller. It was a pleasure helping you out Twisted. That is a fine barrel. Im gonna go get another tomorrow before B gets the pick of the litter.. ;-)
B, when i grabbed that one for TB, they had about 8 on a pallet. Anyone within driving distance really should take advantage. Their barrel club provides for a continuous supply of barrels.

Edit to add, happy barrel birthday to your barrel TB, and you never told me how it smelled inside when you pulled the bung.
dragon613
Novice

Post by dragon613 »

I've been distilling my homemade fruit wines that I prepare by the 50 gal barrel (I keep 2 or 3 in rotation) I find that my friends enjoy my wines best when fresh so I started distilling off the remainder of an old batch when the next one is ready, around 15-20gal of each barrel, every two weeks, which is actually backing up on me as of today, because I don't have enough empty glass to collect another run, (a few friends came over earlier and emptied a few for me so I'm getting there), so to fill that barrel it'd be around 250 gallons of must, which I'm on schedule to produce in abt 6 months, without starting any new batches specifically for the still, so I think I could add and draw from that barrel and have it topped off in a year's time, then I have to add a second ;)
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Filling a 53 gal / 200 L Barrel is going to be a huge job, Ive just finished filling one half that size and that took ages.
Id suggest that you have at least enough white dog ready to half fill the barrel before you purchase it , otherwise the angels will be drinking it faster that you can put it in the barrel.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

dragon613 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:40 pm The website (if Im allowed to post) is sunshinebarrels.com the price listed for their used whiskey or wine barrels is $99 and they only have commercial sized used barrels (as they put it " once used and fresh dumped") I shouldn't have to pay for shipping at all, I'm close enough to drive to their warehouse, for shipping orders they estimate $50-$100 a piece depending on quantity, sounds like a good deal I just want to make sure I don't pay for one that leaks and wind up having to bust it up for staves
Sunshine Barrels = SugarDaddy

Just call him and tell him what you want. He supplies to all sorts and so he can sell a leaky barrel to an interior decorator because the service value is different.
But if you tell him what you are doing with it he'll probably let you pick out your own barrel.
Tell him Larry said so.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
dragon613
Novice

Post by dragon613 »

Saltbush, yeah I was thinking that, I plan to get a couple batches of beer out of the carboys and into boytles, then start filling the carboys with clear, and have around 15-20 gal before I pick up my barrel, then start running the still back to back instead of single runs, I'm thinking about using the waste heat from my condenser to preheat the wash for next run, cut down my turnaround time

LWTCS, thank you!
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

It all depends but I estimate 2.5-3 gallons of barrel strength product after cuts from approximately 35-40 gallons (sic carboys) of squeezed and cleared mash. That’s following a double distillation protocol or three stripping runs per spirit run.

Sounds like a fun project!

Cheers,
Jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————